Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Low Acceleration, No Power

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
juztin888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Low Acceleration, No Power

Newbie here, and I'm happy about reading and finding interesting things that is helping my Civic run smoothly.

But lately, I am having some problems with the acceleration of my Honda Civic VTi '96. So I decided to have a "Top-Overhaul" because a couple of weeks ago, the car let on overheating, then water is mixing with the engine oil already. Cylinder Head Gasket was changed 3x! Here are some details:

Mileage is more than 169K.

1st Head gasket change:
New head gasket, changed 2 surplus cylinders from Banawe because there were scratch marks on the old head cylinder and the cylinder rings does not move freely. Had the Cylinder head block brought to the machine shop (Roque,QC) which cost about P7,960. change oil, changed oil filter, changed to a surplus radiator, etc...mostly just the cylinder head was mainly fixed. After 2 days of fixing, it was done. Had a test run, and it ran smoothly! But noticed that the idle was a bit high, had a hard time adjusting it to the right level. But decided to run it anyways. That night, went out but noticed that the temp gauged was signaling the heat going up until almost red, then that night almost 8x ako nag refill ng water. Next day sent it back to the shop.
2nd Head Gasket change:
Without the radiator cap was not placed, it was like a water fountain when started. The mechanic said that we might have to do another change of the cylinder head gasket to check if there was any leak and see why, it was not the thermostat, thermostat switch, water pump nor the radiator. We change the Knock Switch sensor (which senses the "check engine light) and was very expensive! P5,000 for original, P2,500 for replacement, P1,800 to P2k surplus in Banawe. Change also a damaged part which was found below the Intake. When the car was done, i tried test driving it and there was a change on the drive, it was hard and low acceleration and power. And ide was still going up and down especially when the aircon was turned on, so we also suspected that the compressor might be a problem, but had it checked and they said it ws okay. Still tried it for a day, and then there it was, overheat again! Had a 2nd opinion from another shop, they said it might be that the Engine block might be craked, but i doubt it. so another change
3rd Head Cylinder Gasket:
On the third change, I was there to assist, had everything checked before putting the engine cylinder cover, new spark plugs. Had a test drive, still low acceleration and power, and idle still crazingly going up and down, but no overheat. Had the idle checked with my old shop in Sct. Chuatoco, and there it was, the culprit was the Idle solenoid or they call it "idle-up". it was too expensive to but a brand new of a surplus one because all-in-all the fixing was over my budget, so they we decided to put another Idle-up extension. And finally the idle was controlled. But...still low acceleration and power!

I really think its the air intake or the mixture of air and gas, or might be the timing??? hay...Please Help!!!

Juztin888
Old 11-12-2012
Nox
Registered!!

Nox is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Low Acceleration, No Power

had a similar issue, got head gasket changed, tuned out the moron skipped 3 teeth on the timing belt, then "adjusted" my distributor, tps sensor and the screw on the throttle to compensate.
Old 11-26-2012
6th Gen Honda-Tech

FrankHondatech is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nox
had a similar issue, got head gasket changed, tuned out the moron skipped 3 teeth on the timing belt, then "adjusted" my distributor, tps sensor and the screw on the throttle to compensate.
NEVER NEVER touch the throttle body srew. IT NOT MADE TO COMPENSATE AT ALL.

If the idle speed is too low or too high on Closed loop - Should be around 750RPM Manual and 800RPm for automatic.

If you are not having these Rpm there is something wrong. Bad vacum or vacum leek. Engine compression must be check.

Valve Lash must be adjusted

The timing belt has to be perfect. Only 1 teeth skip can cause tons of probleme with other sensor.

The Distributor cap has to be adjusted at 12 -/+ 2 Use 14 on old used engine .

If the engine overheated then you probably have to plane the head, changing the gasket won't work for a long time.
Old 04-11-2013
Registered!!

switchblade94 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im having a similar problem ive got a 99 with a d16y7 swap and im getting hardly any acceleration at all and my max speed it 105km if I floor it it slows down could it be just needing a tune up? Im changing plugs wires cap and rotor and oil and fuel filter tomorrow if that help im gonna get the carb cleaned and tuned along with cleaning the injectors ( put full fuel system cleaner in when I filed it with premium tonight) I need help!!!!
Old 11-29-2013
Registered!!

joshredcox is an unknown quantity at this point

So i have a few questions. I have a 93 civic and it runs but once it gets to 3rpm it wont pull and rolls white smoke out the back. I have no idea whats going on. The car runs great puttin it around. A few people have said pistons and head gasket. If you could please help me out. Its my first car and my baby. Help please!!!!!!