Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

weird problem please help diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedysteve is an unknown quantity at this point
weird problem please help diagnose

Mot is due next week on my 1996 ek3 civic 1.5 lsi vtech-e 3door.

Fornt wheel bearings were droning a little and had a little bit of slack ( jack up car rock top to bottom of wheel feel a little bit of a "clonk" ) changed both bearings now drivers side is perfect but passenger side is weird ?

lift up car rock wheel, absolutely no movement feels perfect, lower car rock wheel feels perfect, drive around for a bit stop rock wheel with car still on ground can feel a "clonk" as if the bearing is loose. Lift car so wheel off the ground rock wheel and it feels perfect ??? no sign of movement or "clonk" ????? lower car, rock wheel top feels fine until I do it as hard as I can then the clonk is back ???? could this be a suspension problem ?

Im totally confused ???

Please point me in the right direction ?

thanks,

SS
Old 03-24-2012
Autocross Padawan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light
Re: weird problem please help diagnose

I know I can be a little bit paranoid after installing a part to make sure it works properly. Leave it for a day (at least overnight) then check it again. Go for a quick drive, bring a passenger (since its on the passenger side, or have someone else drive the car while you sit in the passenger side) and listen.

My suspicion is that the bearing is fine, but if the noise persists, take off the wheel and inspect the ball joints, the CV joints and the sway bar linkage. Those are the only things I can think of right now that can make an audible clonking noise. I'm assuming this car is entirely stock?

Hope this helps, keep us posted!