Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Possible Oil Leak...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vdcoff is an unknown quantity at this point
Possible Oil Leak...

Hey all you honda guys, this is my first honda, it is a beater. I bought it off of some kid for 1800 and according to him it has a new head gasket, a re-build auto transmission, new water pump, new timing belt, new plugs, etc.

I had it parked in my gfs garage the night i bought it, when i woke up in the morning I had a some puddle (size of a quarter) on the garage floor where it was parked. I'm pretty sure it is oil, don't think it was transmission fluid.

I had the car up on jack stands yesterday and changed the oil out and put mobil 1 in it, but i couldn't figure out where it was leaking from. The oil is running down from somewhere and collecting then dripping.

Any ideas of what it could be? I am hoping the block isn't cracked. I told the kid about it, and he said it never leaked as far as he knew.

BTW its a 97 civic with a d16y8 engine.
Old 02-19-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Possible Oil Leak...

How well did you clean up after pulling the oil filter off? The runoff can drip for quite a while.
Old 02-19-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Possible Oil Leak...

Start with common places, like ezone said check for runoff and make sure your oil filter is sealed tightly. Also check that the oil plug is torqued correctly and the crush washer is in good shape. Clean the underside of the engine and monitor it daily and after drives to see if you can see signs of new oil, thats a good way to find a leak. Another possibility is your oil pan gasket. Take some pictures, over the net its a guessing game without at least a picture.