Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1997 LX Brake light question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vandezand is an unknown quantity at this point
1997 LX Brake light question

My brake light is on in my civic. Ive checked the fluid levels and its full. the brakes are not grinding like they need replaced. Im not sure whats wrong or why the light is on, but it has not affected driveability, meaning i still have the same stopping ability as i had before the light came on.

Any help would be great
Old 12-27-2011
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1997 LX Brake light question

Red brake light is the only light?
Brake fluid is at the FULL line? (The light can turn on when the fluid is only halfway between full and low.)

Unplug the wires at the lid of the master cylinder reservoir. See if the light goes out.
If it goes out now, read this--click the PDF in this link.
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=711
It needs a float and a screen, the Honda part numbers are listed in the bulletin in the link.
Old 12-27-2011
Registered!!

Yeah, the red brake light. Sometimes it will go off when braking but then comes right back on. Its been a while since ive checked the fluid so ill check that and check the filter and float.

Also i was wondering if you guys knew a trick to get the back drums off. i tried to look at the brakes the other day, but the drums were stuck on pretty good. Maybe Liquid Wrench or Brake parts cleaner?
Old 12-27-2011

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

2 holes in the face of the drums are threaded, screw an ordinary 8x1.25 bolt into there and it will push the drum away from the hub. Shoot some penetrating oil into the holes first, they get real rusty here.

Staring at the float and screen won't tell you anything.
If the fluid level isn't the problem, then replace the parts specified.
Or...
Pull the screen out with your finger. You can cut a tiny "V" notch in the top flat part of the screen basket, same effect as what the new screen has.

This is as close as I could find on the net:
Name:  IMG_7027.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  114.3 KB

Do you see the 2 visible notches in the upper rim (the widest part) of the filter screen in this reservoir? Yours will be similar, but it has no notches. The new part has a narrow V cut into the rim, and it is to let air pressure equalize between the fluid area and the float area. You can make the same mod, if you are careful. The V only needs to go far enough inward that it is past the supporting area of the reservoir body where the flat part lays.

I haven't seen an issue with the foam floats on the reservoir cap, even though the bulletin tells you to replace it with the screen. I still replace them with the screen, as per the bulletin.

I HAVE seen the hollow floats sink, full of fluid (it is supposed to be hollow and empty).
Old 12-29-2011
Registered!!

it was just low on fluid. it was just below half in the reservoir. Thanks for the suggestions
Old 12-29-2011

Originally Posted by vandezand
it was just low on fluid. it was just below half in the reservoir. Thanks for the suggestions
It is probably due for a brake job.
With ALL disc brake setups, the fluid level drops as the pads wear.
The systems are calibrated to turn the light on right about the time a pad replacement is needed.
You had better check yours, don't wait for the expensive grinding sound to let you know.