Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

SOLVED. How to order correct Bosal replacement muffler.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
frascati is an unknown quantity at this point
SOLVED. How to order correct Bosal replacement muffler.

Please tell me if I understand the following two options correctly?
http://www.amazon.com/Bosal-287-035-...2000&carId=001
...this is a direct replacement that should bolt onto my cat converter

http://www.amazon.com/Bosal-VFM1732-...2000&carId=001
...and this muffler requires removal of the cat converter and direct hookup to the exhaust manifold?

My Cat Conv is fine. The "bullet" pipe in the middle is rusting through. The rear muffler is fine. I just need to replace the midsection, which would be accomplished by either of the options above.

Is first of the above options the correct one? What is the purpose of the second one? Is it for those whose cat conv needs replacement but wish to eliminate it for cost savings?

Any encouragement on getting that Bosal from Amazon? Good deal?

Thanks so much.

Last edited by frascati; 10-28-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-27-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Correct muffler for my 2000?

I would let a muffler shop do the work... They have all the correct tools. Have them give you an estimate.
Old 10-27-2011
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light

I believe he wasn't asking if he could do it or not. Don't use amazon for finding (or buying) the correct part. If you just need the midsection, go here: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Re...06&Ntk=Keyword

They will have the mid section piping in segments that you can buy so you don't have to buy the whole thing for a more reasonable price and from a trusted seller. Make sure you buy new bolts and springs too as they will surely need to be replaced. Overall shouldn't cost you more than $100 for all the parts.
Old 10-28-2011
Registered!!

Anyone up for the original question? Of the two choices, does the first bolt onto the existing CC?

...and

Anyone out there used this particular Bosal muffler.

Yes, I do my own parts replacement work on all my vehicles.

I've not found NAPA mufflers to be significantly superior to others purchased in the past. There are however some bad eggs out there. Anybody vouch for Bosal? (for all i know, napa's honda pipes may be mfg by bosal).

I VASTLY prefer, in almost all cases, replacing a muffler system with the fewest junctions possible. Especially, as in this case, the cost is reasonable. Replacing the existing single section (which, stock, is as complete as the BOSAL pipes that I linked to) with a NAPA mid section pipe is going to necessitate cutting the existing pipe and slipping sections together unless I spring for each of several separate NAPA sections to complete the replacement of the existing pipe. That's gonna cost big and have extra multiple junctions. I don't see how that makes good sense except perhaps at some future point where it enables me to replace these sections one at a time. Then I'm stuck in the reverse situation.... forced to purchase proprietary sections that fit the others.

Last edited by frascati; 10-28-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-28-2011
Registered!!

Neither of those parts turned out to be correct. They might have been exact fits, or might not, but the Bosal part numbers are associated with different Civics depending on DX, EX, SI, etc.

Ok, just in case anyone else finds themselves here via search for Bosal, here's the gist of it. Bosal has a product search page at their website. It's a little screwed up, some of the initial links to it via their home page lead to dead ends, but here's the URL...

https://www.qcsonline.net/bosalb2b/products/

From there you enter your auto info or a part number, which got me here.....

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/gh/Desktop/bosal%20muffler%20for%202000%20civic%20ex.webarchi ve

... and then plugging that correct center section number into google got me back to Amazon.....

http://www.amazon.com/Bosal-287-197-...9822232&sr=1-1

So far, any comment I've come across in various forums regarding Bosal is quite positive for aftermarket. Good price, Amazon's a very good company to deal with online, so it's a go.