Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car won't start.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011
Trance Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Car won't start.....

So I recently replaced my fuel filter. A week later, I go and pull the car into the garage and shut it off. I go to start it a few days ago, it comes on, stumbles, and then shuts off. I don't even know where to start. It was running completely fine the day before. Any ideas of where I should start to look?
Old 03-30-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car won't start.....

Like I said in text before

Possibilities:
Bad fuel pump
Clogged fuel rail
Clogged injectors

Electrical possibilities:
bad distributor
bad plugs
bad coils

Other possibilities:
No pressure in gas tank (but I think that throws a CEL)
fuel leak
flooded engine with gas

-shrugs-
Take your pick and go at it
Old 03-30-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Kenny. I think the flooded engine may be the issue . I pulled out 3 of the plugs and they look like they had gas on them. So wtf do I do? Get new plugs? I've never effed something up this bad before in my life.
Old 03-30-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

If it's in the garage, I say take out your plugs, leave the hood open for a day or so and try to let the gas evaporate
Old 03-30-2011
Trance Addict

Heh. Didn't even think of that. Thanks man. The guy who works on cars all damn day needs help. Lol.
Old 03-30-2011
Kenny the Ricer

The techy is getting help from a guy who doesnt know squat
Old 03-30-2011
Trance Addict

Yeah. Idk. When it comes to helping others, I seem fine. When it comes to my stuff, forget it. Haha. I'll let you know how it turns out later on tonight after work.
Old 03-30-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

don't forget to take a lighter in case it's too dark to see inside the cylinders
Old 03-30-2011
Trance Addict

Lol. I'll let you know how that one turns out . I looked inside before I went to work and it didn't look too bad in them. Its been about 6 hours. I guess I'll try to start it with the old plugs first. If no go, I'll wait a little while longer. I thought about spraying some compressed air to finish off any gas left in there.
Old 03-30-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

if you sure everything is clean there, compressed air, if not, better not

Don't forget to post pics of your new curly hair after the lighter check lol
Old 03-30-2011
Kenny the Ricer

What hair? XD
Old 03-30-2011
Trance Addict

Well, after a few hours, seems she's up and running. I replaced the spark plugs and went through Honda's "clear flood mode". Fired right up. Sooooo much smoke. Drove it for a good 20 minutes between 40 and 65mph. Made a pit stop and fired it back up. No issues so far. Once again, thanks.
Old 03-30-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

any hair left?

glad it is back up

cross fingers for tomorrow morning...
Old 04-04-2011
Trance Addict

Okay amigos! update time. It's been about a week and no complaints. As a heads up, I spoke to my fuels teacher and he gave me an explanation as to why my car died. Apparently Asian cars are really sensitive to quick start and stops. I moved my car into the garage and shut the car back off. So as a heads up, LET THE CAR RUN for a few minutes if you need to move it. I rarely do it, but I needed to get it out of the driveway for some reason. Some cars are less prone to it, but keep that little bit of info in the back of your head, or you'll end up raging like me. Lol .
Old 04-04-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

?!? glad all is ok, but am curious about that quick stop and start
Old 04-04-2011
Trance Addict

Well, I basically just fired up my car and moved it about 10 feet out of the driveway. I'm guessing since it wasn't what I'd call warm, I turned on the car, computer sees the engine is cold, so it dumps tons of fuel. I turned it off and the fuel didn't get burned completely in the cylinders. It sat overnight and had enough time to foul the plugs. Didn't even think about letting it run, which I tend to have a habit of doing.
Old 04-04-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

hun.
interesting. worth a check sometime. thanks for the reply. i will avoid turning it off right away and let it run for a while before turning off too. thanks for the info!
Old 04-04-2011
Trance Addict

Yeah. Better safe than sorry!