Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fixitmys is an unknown quantity at this point
Car shuts off

1999 Honda Civic DX. Shuts off periodically. Started doing this about 4 weeks ago. At first it would start after 1st try. Now it takes 3-4 trys before it will start. There is a clicking sound coming from the passenger side or from the glove compartment area when trying to start. The battery is located on that side. I visiually checked to see if there was a lose wire behind the glove compartment and checked to see if there was a lose wire near the battery. Did not see any lose wires but perhaps looked in the wrong place. I did put water in the battery about 2 weeks ago. Don't think that worked. Still have the problem. The battery is 2 1/2 years old. It's a honda battery.

Have any thoughts on what might be the problem and any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks
fixitmys
Old 03-14-2011
Registered!!

civcowner99lx can only hope to improve
Re: Car shuts off

im stupid for doing this in the first place but i removed my gauges and my odometer and speedometer wont work nothing pleaase help
Old 03-15-2011
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

@fixitmys
How fast is it cranking? Normal speed? then it's not the battery.

I think relays are around the glove box area.
Notice that when you put the key in the last notch before cranking, that you hear a click their and the gas pump turns on for 2 seconds, then another click and the pump shuts off.

Maybe the fuel pump relay thing is screwed up? Or the thing that supplies power to the circuit? Just a hunch.

Turn the key from the second to last, to last notch a few times to get the gas pump to turn on a few times (to build up the gas pressure, see if the engine starts right up.

If the pump is running for the 2 seconds when it should be (described above), but cranking still fails to ignite, then if having the pump be on for a while (prev. para.) and then the engine ignites right away, then it's something in the fuel line (clogged filter?).

Sorry for sounding like a computer.

Last edited by danwat12345; 03-15-2011 at 01:36 AM. Reason: @fixitmys
Old 03-15-2011
Registered!!

Steven21 is an unknown quantity at this point

wrong forum yo
Old 03-15-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fixitmys
1999 Honda Civic DX. Shuts off periodically. Started doing this about 4 weeks ago. At first it would start after 1st try. Now it takes 3-4 trys before it will start. There is a clicking sound coming from the passenger side or from the glove compartment area when trying to start. The battery is located on that side. I visiually checked to see if there was a lose wire behind the glove compartment and checked to see if there was a lose wire near the battery. Did not see any lose wires but perhaps looked in the wrong place. I did put water in the battery about 2 weeks ago. Don't think that worked. Still have the problem. The battery is 2 1/2 years old. It's a honda battery.

Have any thoughts on what might be the problem and any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks
fixitmys
There was a similar thread about the same problem a few weeks ago. Honda had a recall on the ignition switch for 6th gen models. I'd call your local Honda dealer and have them check it out.
http://www.automotive.com/1998/12/ho...lls/index.html
But yeah. Have a mod move this to the appropriate forum to get some more feedback.
Old 03-16-2011
Registered!!

Steven21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MelJ
There was a similar thread about the same problem a few weeks ago. Honda had a recall on the ignition switch for 6th gen models. I'd call your local Honda dealer and have them check it out.
http://www.automotive.com/1998/12/ho...lls/index.html
But yeah. Have a mod move this to the appropriate forum to get some more feedback.

Well it sounds like thats your ignition switch lol but there might another issue besides that if its taking more than one try to restart the car

Last edited by Steven21; 03-16-2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: should have read more in depth.
Old 03-16-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fixitmys

Thanks
fixitmys
Must be psychosomatic - 9th gen civics are not even for sale, so you are imagining the problems.
Old 03-16-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by civcowner99lx
im stupid for doing this in the first place but i removed my gauges and my odometer and speedometer wont work nothing pleaase help
stop posting in threads that does not even relate to your problem. Annoying.
I looked at 2 threads and you posted in both already...
Old 06-12-2011
Registered!!

vinnie2700 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a 1995 honda civic ex thats shuts off when driving ,i change the fuel pump ,the main realy and it is still shut off .can some one help me.
Old 06-12-2011
Registered!!

JustaBuustedD17 is an unknown quantity at this point

It depends on what is happening in both cases when the car is shutting off. Are you losing power as well? radio goes out, etc.. The fact the car starts back up makes me think fuel issue. In your set-up is there a fuse for the fuel pump under the dash? I know my 7th gen has one and I had problems similar to this. The fuse wasn't blown, it was just a little loose.

One thing you can try is turn the ignition, but do not start it. Just so your fuel pump turns on. After this find the fuse for your fuel pump and try to "wiggle" it. Listen for your fuel pump to turn off and on. If the pump is turning on and off while you wiggle it then the prongs that hold the fuse have just gotten loose.

To fix this simply disconnect the battery and use a pair of needle nose pliers and carefully try to squeeze the prongs in the fuse box back together.

The clicking sound coming from your glove box is just your computer turning on and off.

hope this helps