Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine Whine

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scolecite is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine Whine

First I started by reading every single post on engine whine in this forum and others.
2000 CIVIC LX, 140,000 miles
I have just this last few days done:
Spark Plugs
IAC Valve cleaning -And it needed it.
New Fuel Filter
New Air Filter
Cleaned throttle body

It does not whine on startup, idle, neutral, reverse, or typically at slow 15mph speeds, although that may becuse its not loud enough.

Sometimes the whine isnt' there for 1st snd 2nd gear (perhaps due to warming up it was 2 degrees here this morning), but does kick in when I hit 3rd gear. It will then shift into 4th without any whine change.
At all times though, the whine pitch increases at the same rate as say wind noise would increase due to a speed increase. Its a steady increase in pitch based on speed, 100% independent of gear changes. So I could step on it and rev the engine and whine noise will just increase with relative speed.

If I take my foot off the gas anytime, no whine. I gently apply gas and whine returns.

I have an aftermarket stereo but no amp, but in my last car I had some wicked alternator whine due to an improperly installed or grounded amp. So my new issue sounds exactly like this but it dosent follow the engine RPM's. Removing my stereo from the dash didn't help but Im not suspecting it anyways.

***I bought this car used 2 weeks ago and it has whined since day 1. I do not know when the alternator or timing belt were last done. Im gonna look up an easy way? to check the timing belt and tensioner as some suggested it may be these things. If you have advice on this I would greatly appreciate it. I really want to check it as Im nervous it wasn't changed at "around 100,000" like the guy said.

Thanks Everyone!

Last edited by scolecite; 02-23-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the rough
Re: Engine Whine

Change the trans fluid to redline mtl see if that helps at all. Its a little heavier and lubes a little more than the honda stuff and can help with bearings being slightly worn.
Old 02-23-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Redline MTL is reaaaal good stuff.
Old 02-23-2011
Registered!!

Newfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the rough

when you add it make sure you keep it away from MelJ he has a tendency to add his own "secret" mix to it lol.
Old 02-23-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Old 02-24-2011
Registered!!

I HAVE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION- I should have mentioned this! Sorry guys!

What oil should I use? The MTL looks like its for Manual Trans.

Stick with the Honda OEM? People seem to swear by that here.

Also I have a LOOSE tranny dipstick, but judging by the threads on it already not much I can do. Im gonna go electrical tape route.

Last edited by scolecite; 02-24-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-24-2011
Registered!!

have you checked the level and condition of the trans fluid while warmed running and in park?
Old 02-24-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Newfiedan
have you checked the level and condition of the trans fluid while warmed running and in park?
Yes the fluid is red colored not too dirty but I can't get a good level established every time I remove the dipstick its coated in oil. How the hell can you check the oil without it getting oil on the dipstick on the way out?
Old 02-24-2011
Registered!!

check it with the car shut off after warming it up good and let me know where it sits on the dipstick and use a white paper towel to clean it as that tells the real story on the atf, you can't really tell that well when its just on the dipstick. It should be bright red on the paper towel. If it smells burnt or has any brownish tint to it then change it.
Old 02-25-2011
Registered!!

Ok its red/brown for sure, I checked it on a white paper towel before too.

1. What type of fluid do you recommend for the AT Transmission?

2. http://action.publicbroadcasting.net...1/2143757.page

Seems like there is some valuable information here. Should I change the filter as well?

Thanks!

Last edited by scolecite; 02-25-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-25-2011
Registered!!

yes for sure, the filter assembly is a must do when changing the fluid, especially when its red/brown as brown indicates burnt fluid which is not a good sign. What you see on the dipstick is nothing compared to what is sitting in the base of the trans pan. Change both, you can get it as a kit that has pan gasket, filter, and o rings.
Old 02-25-2011
Registered!!

I found this on another site, I thought you would like to put your 2 cents in on this cause this has to be controversial.

"When an automatic starts acting up ...

Please try these steps
Flush the Automatic Tranny with any product other then Amsoil

Buy some Hydrolic Gear Oil fill tranny full with this ( 85W )
Run the car for 10-20 kms

Re-Flush the Tranny

Now put in your Fresh Honda Oil

No Slipping, No Hesitations, No Noises

I know Honda Trannys very well know and I've done this to save the life of trannys.

Just a FYI
EZ"
Old 02-25-2011
Registered!!

well the only reason I can see them running gear oil through is to lube and remove deposits as the thicker oil will hold the crap in suspension longer than atf. Its an interesting idea as the pump is an orbital or gear pump for the fluid, I say give it a shot and see what happens. Just so you know its spelled hydraulic oil I have no idea why ppl spell it like that, I am an electrical/hydraulics specialized heavy equipment tech so I know a lot about these things lol.