Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 civic lx making two funny noises

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000civiclx is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 2000 civic lx making two funny noises

Hello guys,
Im new here as you guys can tell and know hardly anything about cars. I just bought my first car a 2000 civic lx with about 87k miles. Anyways, my car is making two funny noises. One of the noises is when I start the car and have the car ideling it sounds high pitched. Like an eeeeeeeee i think its a fan I'm not too sure. Its not like clashing noises it sounds like something rotating makes that noise. After a few minutes of driving the noise is gone.

The other noise my car makes is when I go over speed bumps or turn at times. It sounds as if there is too much pressure(sounds similar when there is too much pressure on wood). Does not sound like metal grinding. My cousin last night said that when he got off the car he heard it. So I think it has to do something with suspensions. The noise does come from the back of the car. Any help would be great. Thanks guys. A mechanic at the honda dealer i think told me it was the bushings I am not too sure and wanted to cahrge me 800 to fix it.
Old 02-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the rough
Re: 2000 civic lx making two funny noises

Well from what you said it sounds like you have a belt slipping making that squealing noise so look for a worn belt. Next look at the rear sway bar end links, they are known to wear out and make a clunk when going over small bumps. If there are bushings that are worn then you can replace them yourself just get a manual for the car and learn how to do your own work and save yourself a bundle of cash.
Old 02-07-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Newfiedan
Well from what you said it sounds like you have a belt slipping making that squealing noise so look for a worn belt. Next look at the rear sway bar end links, they are known to wear out and make a clunk when going over small bumps. If there are bushings that are worn then you can replace them yourself just get a manual for the car and learn how to do your own work and save yourself a bundle of cash.
Thank you, will do.
How do I know by looking at the bushings if they are worn out I am assuming they would be disfigured ?

Last edited by 2000civiclx; 02-07-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-08-2011
Registered!!

Newfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the rough

they will be cracked, or completely let go, grab the sway bar and move it by hand if you hear a click or it moves around easily then its worn out, same applies to the lower control arms, try moving them by hand. You will need to jack the car up for this, MAKE SURE you use jackstands and do it on a flat level surface before getting under the car. Also block the front wheels prior to getting under the car when jacking the rear end up.
Old 02-09-2011
Registered!!

I dont mean to bug you but what bushings should i get and sway bars, i don't need anything special just for the normal daily commute.
Old 02-10-2011
Registered!!

before you replace anything check to see if it needs to be replaced, if you are working on a limited budget then "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is the way to go. The lower trailing arm bushings are something you are going to want to check as well, I noticed a small knocking noise over quick bumps and discovered that mine are kinda rough. I am replacing them with the energy suspension ones as they are cheaper than stock and hold up way better.