Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99 civic engine ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blinduvula is an unknown quantity at this point
99 civic engine ticking noise

Good morning all!

This is my first post so first of all I would like to say thanks in advance for any help and I am glad to be a member of the community.

but now on to my issues... So I just picked up a 99 civic HB last Thursday and when I test drove it everything was flawless and quite... well over the last few days I have noticed a ticking noise coming from the engine when I accelerate. After about a mile or so the noise goes away completely. I stopped by my local NAPA in search of a universal antenna and the guy that checked me out happened to be a Honda enthusiast. He came out and listened to it and claimed that the valves just need to be adjusted and that its nothing really to worry about. Now… I don’t know too much about cars (yet) but I was hoping that maybe someone could help me out with this issue and give me a little more insight? Also if it does just need a valve job could anyone recommend me a shop in the Des Moines area that would be trustworthy and maybe the average going rate of a valve job?

Thanks again!
Old 03-29-2009
Registered!!

mvracing is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 99 civic engine ticking noise

Sounds like the valve or bent rod! Get it checked out asap or new motor soon!! I had the same problem and it cost me a new motor!! I was racing one day(at the track) and missed shifted and the noise started from there, it really sucked!! But w.e. get it check out ASAP!!!
Old 08-28-2010
Registered!!

Toffee is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah i have the same issue, but it ticks 24/7 i dunno if its my timing belt or the 99 VTEC DOHC engines do that
Old 08-28-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

It is probably just a loose valve. You do no need a valve job, you just need to adjust them. It says to do it every 15000 miles on my car, it is probably about the same with yours. Get a haynes/chilton manual and it will show you how to do it. Get with someone who knows how to use a feeler guage to show you how much "grab" you need to have. The only special tools you might need are a feeler guage (the bent kind and maybee a offset wrench or they make special wrenches for doing it also. It is at most an hour job if you have never done it before.

Toffee: You have the same engine as me, you are supposed to adjust your valves every 15000 miles!

mvracing: Hondas are notorious for having valve tap noise, because most people don't adjust them when they are supposed to. Don't assume it is a bent rod just because of valve tap.

Last edited by Mad Dog Tannen; 08-28-2010 at 11:41 PM.