I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Need an alternator replacement/upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014
Adrenaline Junky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alif is an unknown quantity at this point
Need an alternator replacement/upgrade?

Story: never had any battery or alternator problems before.
Honda Civic Lx (canadian) 1.7L. 157,000 miles. Got car last april at 135,000. 2 oil changes since then.its a sedan.

Previous problems: my lower ball bearings were shot,replaced those at mechanic shop. Replaced all tires,all new. Airbag light has been on since 150,000. Maintainnence required light turned on recently,maybe at 156,000.

So last night after a long night at the buffet i go to drop off my cuZin at his house,left car on for maybe 10-15 min. Start driving for maybe 5 min,see a cop and check my speed. All my gauges are at 0. WTF...slow down and pull over, lights dimming , i turn car off and then i cant turn it back on. check Engine light goes off,****. First i thought it was battery so this dude uses jumper cables, car turns back on,after changing to reverse,car ignition stops again,lights dimming, Fuel and temp gauge goin up amd down slowly. Try jumping it with another car,still nothing.

My cuZin says my alternator is bad and that i need a new one. This is my first car so im new to all these problems. Im also a student so i dont wanna spend tok much but this is also an opportunity to upgrade the alternator. I jus wanna confirm with you guys ,does it sound like my alternator is bad and what should i replace it with? Should i do it myself and what tools do i need? I have a ratchet set but thats about it. I change my own oil every 4k. Last one was at 154,000. I use new oil filter every time. Fram sadly.

Soo you guys think i could do it? What are the essential tools,not optional ones,jus the ones i really need. I need to do this in 2 days also haha. I also need advice in buying am alternator. Thanx
Old 03-01-2014
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about
Re: Need an alternator replacement/upgrade?

Here's a link to all the DIY jobs. You can find how to replace your alternator here.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...diy-index.html

I would take the battery and get it tested but most likely it's the alternator. From my experience when the alternator dies you're just driving off the battery; so once you start draining the battery the radio cuts off, gauges go nuts, etc. Sometimes when the alternator goes and you drain the battery it kills the battery. So you may need to replace the battery too but take it with you to auto zone or where ever and have them check it. You may have to get a trickle charger to put on it before they can test it if it's too dead.

Also the "maintenance required light" isn't tied to any form of the diagnostic system. It's just there to get you to take your car to the dealer. I think if you press the mileage reset button and hold it in, turn the car to the "on" position and wait 20 seconds (keeping the mileage reset button pressed in) and then crank the car. It should reset the light. I just had to do it to mine last week.
Old 03-01-2014
Adrenaline Junky

Originally Posted by drhawkinz
Here's a link to all the DIY jobs. You can find how to replace your alternator here.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...diy-index.html

I would take the battery and get it tested but most likely it's the alternator. From my experience when the alternator dies you're just driving off the battery; so once you start draining the battery the radio cuts off, gauges go nuts, etc. Sometimes when the alternator goes and you drain the battery it kills the battery. So you may need to replace the battery too but take it with you to auto zone or where ever and have them check it. You may have to get a trickle charger to put on it before they can test it if it's too dead.

Also the "maintenance required light" isn't tied to any form of the diagnostic system. It's just there to get you to take your car to the dealer. I think if you press the mileage reset button and hold it in, turn the car to the "on" position and wait 20 seconds (keeping the mileage reset button pressed in) and then crank the car. It should reset the light. I just had to do it to mine last week.
thanx for the input man. I just tried to start it and it worked but then i tried the electrical stuff like radio,windows and windshield wipers and my wipers were super slow, my radio went off and then i guess it just drained.

Yeah i think it basically resets everytime i do an oil change or something, ill reset after that,but yeah im gonna need to get an alternator in the next 2 days and install it myself. it looks pretty easy,i can see the alternator clearly. I guess ill look around the DIY stuff.

Btw anybody have a 2004 service manuel? i saw a thread here where you can download it but the links didnt work.
Old 03-01-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If it did not lose the alternator belt, then it sounds like you need to replace the alternator
and charge the battery back up before running the car.

I see no reason to "upgrade" the alternator. ("Upgrades" are "yeah, not so much" when you are sold junk parts by discount stores.)
Just fix it back to stock so it works right again.
Old 03-01-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah i think it basically resets everytime i do an oil change or something,
Nope. A human must reset it every time.
Old 03-01-2014
Adrenaline Junky

Originally Posted by ezone
If it did not lose the alternator belt, then it sounds like you need to replace the alternator
and charge the battery back up before running the car.

I see no reason to "upgrade" the alternator. ("Upgrades" are "yeah, not so much" when you are sold junk parts by discount stores.)
Just fix it back to stock so it works right again.
Yeah i checked the belts and they look fine. Yeah i was wondering if upgrading an alternator would give any performance but looks like it basically useless, do you think an alternator from autozone or advanced autoparts would be sufficient?
Old 03-01-2014

Originally Posted by Alif
do you think an alternator from autozone or advanced autoparts would be sufficient?
Do you REALLY want more of my opinion?

when you are sold junk parts by discount stores..

EDIT: That was personal opinion. Their parts work good enough for some people.

Last edited by ezone; 03-01-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-01-2014
Adrenaline Junky

Do you REALLY want more of my opinion?

EDIT: That was personal opinion. Their parts work good enough for some people.
well where would you buy your part from? i need my car by monday though lol
Old 03-01-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Simply despise auto part store reman,rebuilt whatever.

Try to find a rebuilder local.

My mechanic suggest factory re-done units.
Old 03-01-2014
Adrenaline Junky

Originally Posted by CraigW
Simply despise auto part store reman,rebuilt whatever.

Try to find a rebuilder local.

My mechanic suggest factory re-done units.
what if i buy a brand new one from autozone/advancedautoparts? its like $130
Old 03-01-2014

Originally Posted by Alif
well where would you buy your part from? i need my car by monday though lol
Seriously doubt you will find factory quality before Monday 6AM.

what if i buy a brand new one from autozone/advancedautoparts? its like $130

Check here

But like I said, "Their parts work good enough for some people."
Are you one of those people?

And click here

And I totally agree with CraigW.

We used to have a local rebuilder that used the best parts in all of their builds. They retired and closed.
The only rebuilder left here now uses the cheapest parts, I don't even consider that as an option now.
I'd have to travel to the next big town to get high quality parts in a rebuild now.
Old 03-01-2014
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

If you buy Duralast from Autozone, they have a lifetime warranty.
Though it's not as good as OEM, only buy into if you have the mindset that it can and probably will fail.
If you don't mind having to replace it again, then by all means go for what you can afford.

The Duralast alternator I bought to replace mine hasn't failed me in the 1 year since I've replaced it, but YMMV.

Here's the DIY to do it:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...placement.html
Old 03-01-2014
Adrenaline Junky

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Though it's not as good as OEM, only buy into if you have the mindset that it can and probably will fail.
If you don't mind having to replace it again, then by all means go for what you can afford.

The Duralast alternator I bought to replace mine hasn't failed me in the 1 year since I've replaced it, but YMMV.

Here's the DIY to do it:
yeah i dont mind, its not like i have the money right now to buy a really grreat part ,but if it keeps my baby goin then im satisfied...for now. thanx!
Old 03-01-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002

Here's the DIY to do it:
i would suggest going this route also,

there are certain parts that i swear by going OEM, but an alternator is not one of them, i would go aftermarket with lifetime warranty,
Old 03-04-2014
Adrenaline Junky

Hey guys,i just wanted to say thank you to all of you who replied. Went to advanded autoparts and got a ToughOne alternator, installed it myself with help from my cousin ,ran into a lil problem but besides that everything went well. Its running perfectly, thanx bros!