I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Vent Lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BlessedAggie is an unknown quantity at this point
Vent Lights

I wanted to know if anyone knew how to install lights in the A/C vents
If so could you please tell me what type of lights and wire and etc...
how far to put them back in the vent so you can see the light and not the light bulb
thanks
Old 05-29-2003
Registered!!

got-K20? is an unknown quantity at this point
I remember trying to do that, I encountered too many problems, like wiring had to go threw the air tunnel creating inefficiency in the A/C, then the bulb had to be fitted (like you said so only the light will show) and it had to be secured without rattling.

I would say abandon this mod, and do what I did in my trunk (pics are in my gallery)
Old 05-29-2003
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
That all depends on what kind of light you are looking for.....do you want a soft diffused glow, or would you like something brighter?

Soft diffused glow I would use a mini neon tube....for a brigter look get a couple high intensity LED's.....as far as wire size, just match whatever size the lights already have....18 guage should work.

And K20, if you drill a hole for the wire, and then use a rubber gromet or silicone sealant, you wont have any efficency problems with the A/C and heat. I'm thinking of doing the same mod for my car, but with alarm LED's. I'm using those because they come with a mounting base....should be pretty easy to do.

Last edited by Mystic3030; 05-29-2003 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-29-2003
Registered!!

HomerSimpson is an unknown quantity at this point
I would reccomend just using some LED's since you are working with a small tight place.
Old 05-29-2003
Registered!!

thats what i was thinking
i dont know how i could make a neon bar fit back there
Old 05-29-2003
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by BlessedAggie
thats what i was thinking
i dont know how i could make a neon bar fit back there
Simple....get one of the mini 3" tubes, and drop it vertically down the air pipe thing.

They are available usually with 2 of them in a kit and a transformer for like $20.
Old 05-29-2003
Registered!!

kool
Old 05-30-2003
98% of people will die in their lifetime
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
i used a 3" mini from street glow with no problem. its bright as hell too. you DONT have to drill any holes nor would i reccommend that you do. you can pull out the vent and run the wire under the dash, thats what i did, i got neons in all 4 vents, i'll see if i can find a closer view...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	neons on passengers side1.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	2928  
Old 05-30-2003

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
i should mention that pic was taken when i only had 2 in the sides so thats why the middles arent lite up.
Old 05-30-2003
Registered!!

thats tight
i wanna do it
Old 05-30-2003
Registered!!

Old 05-30-2003

i'll take more pics later when it gets dark just so you can get an idea on what it looks like...i also need to update "my ride" pics.
Old 06-02-2003
Registered!!

chillin742 is an unknown quantity at this point
18secQuaterMile, how did you mount your neons under the dash? I tried so many things and failed. The one on the passenger side fell and then got broken by my friend's fat foot, and the driver side one fell too. So for now I just have them against the seat and it gives pretty much the same effect, but there's no easy mounting there either. If anyone has any suggestions on mounting these neons, it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2003

i have the street glow 9" tubes so they came with these tiny screws so i just used them, never came off and not even loose. for under the seats i used 20" zip tied to the bar that moves the seat back and fourth.
Old 06-02-2003
Registered!!

nunzio42 is an unknown quantity at this point
That looks really good....i like the accenting on the ac vents......for a cheaper neon install..one of my friends went to kmart or walmart and bought those neons that surround the sub when mounted in a box (if u dont know what i mean go to kmart or walmart and look at their pre-fab boxes with neons) he got those and hard wired them into his head lights via fuse box. He has the option of putting them on strobe to the beat of the music or placing them on, on. They are surrounded with some hard plastic so they are very durable. He simply got some industrial vel-cro and attached them under his seat. Not bad and they were cheaper than the over priced street glow set-up!!! Another cheap DIY!!!!
Old 07-15-2003
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Go with LED's - pm me for more info.

Old 07-17-2003
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
you could also use those windshield washer nozzle lights, thats about the only good use i can think of for them