I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Porting a fiberglass enclosure???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CIVICONBAGS is an unknown quantity at this point
Porting a fiberglass enclosure???

Why is it that all fiberglass enclosures i see are sealed??? Is it not supposed to be done?? I know I can put a port on fiberglass but is it smart to do so?? why doesnt anyone do it?
Old 07-17-2003
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
i've seen a lot of custom jobs with ported fiberglass enclosures. my guess as to why they're noas common is that when they're fiber glassing, they're already tring to get as much air space as they can get, and ported boxes typically need more space. I guess those lil spare tire well boxes are barely big enough for the sealed requirements?
I suppose there are other internal air flow things too, but i don't knwo anythign about that..

Last edited by Ed; 07-17-2003 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-17-2003
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
you can port a fiberglass enclosure. the only problem with enclosures that are mainly fiberglass is that finding the volume isnt all that precise. also what ed said, most of them are mainly to squeeze out space. now what you could do is build a standard wood enclosure and just make it pretty with glass/bondo/expanding foam and other ish
Old 07-17-2003
Registered!!

well im not going to have that much air space in the first place anyways because im planning on taking out the rear seats and making it into and amprack and enclosure holding 2 15" brahmas.. i guess ill have to figure out someway to extent the box into the trunk to get adequate air space.. thanks for all the input tho =)
Old 07-17-2003
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
try sealing them with huge space, make the Qtc around .65. you will be AMAZED at the sheer transparancy of the woofer, even on entry level amplification....

and bags, good idea (IMO) to use the backseatspace for the stereo. Many dont realize you can keep a vast vast majority of your trunk avalable ot put stuff in, if you put teh ground pounding system in the backseat
Old 07-17-2003
Registered!!

yup i need all the space i can get in my trunk due to the fact that it holds 4 6 gal tanks and planning on adding nitrogen... fiberglassing the entire trunk too with plexi covering the tanks =D ill take a pic when im all finished