I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Another wiring question/ Neons...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002
Just Be

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MangoEX should not be trusted
Another wiring question/ Neons...

I have my Blue Neon light wired to my cigarette lighter, everything works perfectly, except i want control over my Neons from up front at the drivers seat, so I found an old fog light switch that I had around in my room and tried to hook it up in-line with the +/- neon wire but could not get the neon to respond to my switch. The switch has a red/black/white wire, and I tried different combinations , i.e, black/white with the negative of the neon wire, and of course, the red wire to the positive. Still the neon did not respond to the switch, then i tried red/white , and black hooked up to the negative. Still no success. I have not done wiring in a while, can someone refresh me on how to get this switch to work? Thanks! [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-04-2002
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
try hooking up the red to a constant +12 volts, black to chassis ground, and the white to the neons + wire. then hook the neons ground to a chassis ground
Old 12-05-2002
Just Be

Actually i was thinking of hooking the switch's red wire to the + wire that leads from the cigarette lighter, the black wire directly to the - wire that leads from the ciglighter, and the white wire to the - of the neon... i drew a diagram, havent tried it yet cause i ran out of crimps, but it should work since the neon wont get power unless the circuit is completed (by pressing the on button on the switch)
Old 12-05-2002
Registered!!

that will work
Old 12-05-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
betcha it doesn't....

your neons don't run off of 12V, they have a transformer. your transformer is in that cigarette adapter, i bet. so unless you find where to connect the 12V inputs onto that transformer, you're stuck with it as is.
Old 12-05-2002
Just Be

I tried everything everyone said here, and i wasted so many crimps and my wires are getting shorter and shorter lol... Please anyone with experience with this? i already have a - and + wire coming out of my Power outlet that i spliced into... and im trying to put the switch in between that and my neon wires... no luck.
Old 12-05-2002
Registered!!

you need to find the wire that goes from the transformer to the cigarette plug and put the switch in there
Old 12-05-2002
Just Be

But that would mean that i couldnt use the cig lighter for my cell phone unless the switch is turned on (and hence my neons on too) that wouldnt be right... anyone else can you help me?
Old 12-05-2002
Registered!!

AccordzOwnCivics is an unknown quantity at this point
i think you might have to have a fuse or somethin, i dunno why, i just remember something about a fuse when i was trying to run a neon a while back.
im not good with electronics soo ask elsewhere but that maybe turn on a light in someones head.[IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG] Cheers
Old 12-10-2002
Registered!!

slowcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok this is how you do it. You take the ciggarette lighter adapter, split it in half. Their you will find your transformer. At the front of the transformer Somewhere on the transformer their should be a wire that is connected to the metal pieces that are visible when the adapter is in its original state. Take that wire off the metal pieces and connect it to your switch where the accesory connects. Your switch should have numbers on it 1 = constant 12 volt supply, 2 = accesory, 3 = ground.Then the ground connects to chassis ground. When your are done connecting wires wrap electrical tape all around the transformer to it is a little black box of tape(waterproof, dutproof, etc. Just zip tie the transformer in a hidden spot and your ready. To bad you prolly already cut the adapter off of the neons. just reaconnect everything the way it was and start over following these directions and it will work. It works on mine. Hope that helps you some. O another thing is that your switch might be faulty.
Old 12-10-2002
Registered!!

2k2civicballer is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: grenloch101056
try hooking up the red to a constant +12 volts, black to chassis ground, and the white to the neons + wire. then hook the neons ground to a chassis ground[hr]
I agree with this dude.
Old 12-18-2002
Registered!!

bboysushi is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you figure it out somehow?
would the wal-mart neons with cigarette lights have a problem with the transformer getting in the way?

Bboysushi

Old 12-19-2002
Registered!!

CelCUs is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's how 2 do it:
First go to walmart and buy the switch, a 10 amp inline fuse holder, a 10 amp fuse, wire that you may need.

Run a power wire from the battery to the + on the switch.
Splice the power wires from your neons (if you have more than one) and run them into the inline fuse holder.
Take the + wire/wires from you fuse holder and put them on the ACC prong on the switch.
Take the - wire/wires from your neon/neons and run them WITH a wire coming from the - prong on the switch to a ground source (a screw that goes into the chassis, i used one below the ebrake and hid the wires there too).

Thats it. Now just detail the wiring so that you can't see any of them, and find a good place for your switch. . . i used the space where there's supposed to be switches on an EX above the change holder. Did a lil' drilling and screwed it in there.

EDIT: You'll have to cut the wires from the neons where they turn into the plug that goes into the cigarete lighter. This is why you'll need to put a fuse on them, but now you can use the cigarette lighter for your cell phone and still have the neons whenever you flip that switch.