I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

1 12" sub w/sealed box.. better to cut a hole?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002
Just Be

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MangoEX should not be trusted
1 12" sub w/sealed box.. better to cut a hole?

Hey quick question , I have a subwoofer , 1 12" in a box that i guess you can say is sealed (has no ports or holes) ... would the bass be stronger if i were to put a hole in it? or a port?
Old 12-01-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
no.
Old 12-01-2002
Registered!!

Devst8n is an unknown quantity at this point
There is a lot more to the question than just yes or no. There are alot of variables you have to think about when you are talking porting and non-ported boxes. There is a basic rule that if you add a port to a box you will get anywhere from 1-3 db increase in volume. The problem is that by porting the box it can lead to sloppy and non-accurate musical reproduction. You first have to see if the subwoofer you have is designed to work in a sealed or ported box. If it can be ported then you have to determine the type of music you listen to. Alot of rap and extended low frequency music will sound better and louder with a port. If you listen to music thats has more accoustic sound (guitars etc) then you might want to keep it sealed as the music will sound cleaner and tighter. You also have to think about volume of the sub box and if it is enough to meet the manufacturers requirements, because if you dont make it right the sound will suck. (ported or not)

I found a good site to help people new to ICE and to help them understand and design their system.

Hope it Helps and good luck with your system

Begginer Car Audio