Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

what has she impaled?

Old 09-28-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Islesfan is an unknown quantity at this point
what has she impaled?

hello all, first off, I'm not mechanically inclined, so I'm hoping someone here can help. On the way home from work today my girlfriend managed to run over a 10 inch long steel spike, which flipped up and impaled itself into the underside of the car on the back driver's side near the gas tank.

1991 honda civic dx hatchback - forgot to add this initially.

I've got a couple of photos after removing the spike, nothing is leaking but going through the haynes manual trying to figure out what it is she's damaged, I can't find an answer.

Name:  dTkElcTl.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  56.2 KB

Name:  CV6wl2Il.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  43.0 KB

our mechanic is closed for the day otherwise we'd take it there but I'm also hoping nothing serious has been damaged. Guessing the spike (which was hanging straight down from that hole and inside it about 1 1/2 inches) didn't go too far inside.
Old 09-28-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: what has she impaled?

Looks like it hit a plastic cover.
No biggie, that alone won't hurt anything.
As long as nothing was damaged on the other side of the cover, you're all good.

Pull the edge down and look in with a flashlight or unbolt the cover to see what it's protecting, and see if there's anything damaged.
Old 09-28-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

seem to be the frame/chassis.

there could be some infiltration on trunk in rainy days?

clean area and treat/seal if you can to avoid rust.

if fuel smell, be careful.

Oh, LOL, if plastic, no worries Thinking about, hard to pierce a metal chassis with most materials Ezone beat me to it.
Old 09-28-2015
Registered!!

thank you! Just checked and it's definitely plastic, no fuel smell, no leaks.
spike likely went 1-2 inches inside the cover

what I don't know is what is under that cover and my back is not feeling the lying in the road with a socket set trying to remove the cover, any ideas what's under that (for my laziness?)

obligatory spike photo below:

Name:  zBHYR7Nh.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  136.5 KB
Old 09-28-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Be glad it wasn't a tire or two that got stabbed.
Old 09-28-2015
Registered!!

true enough lol, I appreciate the quick responses on this, thank you very much
Old 09-28-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

oh, shooot, that could pierce metal...
Old 09-29-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Holy crap, some serious vampire hunting gear.