I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

need creativity: considering changing my trunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
need creativity: considering changing my trunk

im not sure if refinishing my carbon trunk panels will be worth my time. therefore, its possible ill be rebuilding my entire trun kfrom scratch, and need ideas. there are NO LIMITS WHATSOEVER, get as CRAZY if you want to, you dont have to help me plan the whole thing, if you have a good idea from just a section, go for it! this is where you can be as creative as you want to be, all those who know me here know that what i lack in experience i make up for in creativity and ambition.

there is only one devide i dont use, and that is linear actuators, too expensive.

one exeption: if the duty is VERY light, then i can hack it. i cant have drawers holding amps tho, the weight is too much. the max i MIGHT be able to pull off would be like lifting the weight of a changer up 3 inches.

otherwise, you have a trunk that is dead empty. no floor, no sides, no roof, its dead cavernous space. you have distribution blocks, three amplifiers of various size, EVERY install tool available today (MDF, birch, particle board, paint, vinyl, carpet, fiberglass, kevlar, fibercarbon, neons, florescant lights, air rods)

i have alarm outputs i cna use to make any function remote control if i wish. trunk opening is a swithc in itself. friends can build me cuircuitry such as timer circuits, control modules.

i just want everyone to know that the SKY is the limit. and if the composite idea of what you all come up with is better, cheaper, or cooler than me sanding my current trunk panels for a month and a half getting them flat and shiny, then i will rebuild my trunk from scratch using the 7th gen plan.

just so you know ideas i *have* thought of in the past, were stuff like making a floating amp rack on plexi that lights up, making the amps look like their floating on a halo of light. another is submerging the amps under the floor in a mineral oil bath, then putting the heat exchanger from a dorm refridgerator in there, run the amps at or below 10 degrees C.

hell, if you wanna suggest i make my trunk look like a tropical beach, with the amps chilling on a sandy shore, suggest it! wild and crazy.

but always leave room for upgradablility. like if i get a second battery (which i still might) or a fourth amp (i am, but its probbaly going into the cabin) little stuff like that.

what have you got?
Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmm..

Use the trunks tub for the enclsoure raise the trunk floor about 10-13" from oem height and angle it front the rear seats sloping down towards the rear of the trunk..mount the amps..x/o's batteries under plexi.. Leave your rear seats out. run only a pair of Tempests (unless your switching subs) sealed firing front. Or backmount the subs so that you still retain the front seats....

What will you changing equipment wise?...this is key
Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
no, the box is the same, jsut the layout of the trunk. i still have all three, and i still have no rear seats. im just lost on how i might arrange everything. nothing seems appropriate that im coming up with right now. nothing seems *quite* right.

as far as equip i have righ tnow, its just the three amplifiers, and my assortment of d-blocks, relays, etc.

(and i still have no backseats [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] )
Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

Hmm seeing as the enclosure encompases the whole trunk last I saw..your basically left with mounting the amps and extra batts "inside" the enclosure?..or are you sealeing it off with MDFand mounting the amps and all that "outside" the enclosure?
Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

everything is quite mounded inside the enclosure [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

was a pain to seal off 3 RCA cables, literally (im not exagerating) over a hundred feet of speaker wire, 0/1 cable, all that fun stuff.
Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

so the way you enclosure works..if you open your trunk..your running i/b?..have 1 recent pic of a shot of the trunkfrom outside the car?
Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

the way i wire it, if the trunk opens, then the remote lead to teh sub amp shuts off and the subs go dead [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

Okay..hmm why not just completely seal the enclosure fron the trunk door...mount the amps and such flush with the MDF and vynil it. Mount the batteries at the very back of the trunk?
Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

that steals air from the box.
Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

neoretromax is an unknown quantity at this point
make a volcano shape in the back using fiberglass, dura glass etc. and mount a 15 at the top, in the crater.
Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

i have three amps i need to make a rack for, with a big empty trunk. d- blocks and fuses too. i have my woofers and everything alreaydy installed its jsut teh trunk. just the amps. i cant decide on an amp rack design. but it has nothign to do with subwoofers, nothing to do with redesigning my box design, its JUST an amp rack. one that uses the entire trunk. thats all.

was my first post really that unclear?
Old 11-03-2002
i boogie for the raindrops

LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
big flames that shoot everywhere... heh... wouldnt a rack that took up your whole trunk remove airspace ???