I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Alpine changer w/ oem HONDA/alpine deck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002
Super Hoser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
Alpine changer w/ oem HONDA/alpine deck?

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Civic&catcgry 2=2002&catcgry3=2DR+EX&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=AUT O+RADIO

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Civic&catcgry 2=2002&catcgry3=2DR+EX&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=AUT O+RADIO

so our civics have oem Alpine decks?
is it possible to buy an alpine changer and use it with the oem deck?

i've heard of peeps doing it with the 6th gen civics....

has anyone done it before? what model changer did u use?

Old 11-02-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
No..the OEm Hu's are made by Alpine to Honda specifications..they are not real Alpine's..they don't share too may components..alpine just puts the parts together..
Old 11-02-2002
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
so those alpine changers are not compatible with the oem deck eh?

what about those 6th gen owners who were able to install alpine changers?
Old 11-02-2002
Registered!!

the 6th gen HU's used the same changer controlls as Alpine.. the HU's in the 7th gen use use different pins for the changer controlls are no longer compatible...look at the price difference for an Alpine changer and an OEM CD changer and you can guess why honda stopped using Alpine's BUS's
Old 11-02-2002
Registered!!

Abstract is an unknown quantity at this point
YOu can buy an adapter to change it over, but I'd just get a new head unit.
Old 11-02-2002
Super Hoser

[hr]Originally posted by: Abstract
YOu can buy an adapter to change it over, but I'd just get a new head unit.[hr]
so what does the adaptor do? does it just reroute the pins?

so the alpine changers and the 7th gen HUs still use the same method to communicate with the changer but the pinouts and connector has changed? can i just figure out the pinouts and rewire?

for me, rerouting pins is easy...i'm good with electronics...i prefer keeping the oem HU....i think it looks better than most HU's out there..
Old 11-02-2002
Registered!!

Plain and simply put....it can be done..it's a pain in the [IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG]... you'll still be using the OEM hu's amp and such so sound quality will always be pretty crappy. It would be a MUCH wiser purchase to buy a new HU..
Old 11-02-2002
Super Hoser

[hr]Originally posted by: mohawkboom
Plain and simply put....it can be done..it's a pain in the [IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG]... you'll still be using the OEM hu's amp and such so sound quality will always be pretty crappy. It would be a MUCH wiser purchase to buy a new HU..[hr]
the oem 6spks are not great but better than most spks found on other vehcles the same class as a civic...

i dont mind the sound from the oem deck and speakers...

i still prefer a clean simple civic oem deck than some powerful $400 deck that'll annoy the crap out of my cause it doesn't match my dashboard...

right now, i want more music in the car, and not better quality sound..=)

also, i'm a little confused now. you said that alpine manufactured the oem HU to HONDA design...
now you say the oem HU is compatible with Alpine changers but the pinouts have been rerouted to confuse people....
if it's just different pinouts, that means it's still an Alpine design....honda didn't design anything but maybe the face...they just got Alpine to redo the pinouts...

is this right?

Old 11-02-2002
Registered!!

dups is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]also, i'm a little confused now. you said that alpine manufactured the oem HU to HONDA design...
now you say the oem HU is compatible with Alpine changers but the pinouts have been rerouted to confuse people....
if it's just different pinouts, that means it's still an Alpine design....honda didn't design anything but maybe the face...they just got Alpine to redo the pinouts...[hr]
The unit is made by alpine, but it isn't like a typical alpine unit, they make it the way honda asks them to. So its unique to honda's as oppose to being just like an alpine unit sold at best buy. The internals are different, not just the pinouts. Its a cheaper HU. Don't get me wrong though, I agree with you about the look of the HU in the car, I'm sticking with the stock HU as well. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-02-2002
Registered!!

In short...there are ways to get ANY hu to work with pretty much any CD changer...but it's not a simply plug-in or adapter....I haven't tried wiring a CD changer to the Honda HU's so I'm not sure exactly what would need to be done for it to work..But I know it's not an easy job. I don't know if any companies make any adapters for the new Honda HU's yet...might be worth looking into..
Old 11-03-2002
Super Hoser

[hr]Originally posted by: dups
[hr]also, i'm a little confused now. you said that alpine manufactured the oem HU to HONDA design...
if it's just different pinouts, that means it's still an Alpine design....honda didn't design anything but maybe the face...they just got Alpine to redo the pinouts...[hr]
The unit is made by alpine, but it isn't like a typical alpine unit, they make it the way honda asks them to. So its unique to honda's as oppose to being just like an alpine unit sold at best buy. The internals are different, not just the pinouts. Its a cheaper HU. Don't get me wrong though, I agree with you about the look of the HU in the car, I'm sticking with the stock HU as well. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][hr]
yeah, i understand it's not something alpine will sell retail...it's less powerful and shiet but i'll assume that much of the internals are still based on a stripped down retail version of Alpine's....it doesn't make sense to redesign a cheap HU for Honda...it's easier to just take an existing design and strip it down to something that's cheap to produce...

all i wanted to know is whether or not the method (method as in softwarewise and not connector type)for oem HU to communicate with cd changers is the same as the regular Alpines....
if not, then it's pointless to design an adaptor to convert oem HU signals to something understandable by the Alpine changer...it's just not worth the cost...

Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

YOu can't get a honda radio to communicate with any chager as stated before, doesn't work liek that but yes it is just a pin change to do it, but the adapter doesn't cost that much. I am not sure of teh pin numbers to change but a local tech may know.
Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

NitehawkVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
you can get aftermarket HU's that match the dash colour exactly. just look at the sony i had, i bought it simply because it matched the dash, and it did look better in my car then the Stock HU, and even though it was made by sony and crap as a result, it was still a LOT better than the OEM HU. another one. My current deck which is a Nakamichi looks stock, and has the exact same amber colour as my car... like the sony.... but this one looks stock, and sounds like 100x better. The stock system may sound, alright, but it is by no means good. just to give you an idea, even the honda dealers sells those speakers for 20 dollars each....

if you want to try to rewire the pinouts you can try it, but you'd be better off just buying the honda cd changer also, if you want to stay with stock, but you'll just be getting ripped off, because the stock stuff sucks (the headunit, speakers, etc...). If your that worried, just get a nakamichi deck like me (mine is the CD45Z, with the amber display), and get a mounting kit, and it will look stock, and sound much better, and you won't be getting ripped off or have the hassle of trying to figure out the pinout on the back of the HU vs. your virtually unrelated Alpine CD changer. with the chance that it will never work, quite right. so do yourself a favour and take my advice along with all the other people in the ICE forum. haha.
Old 11-03-2002
Super Hoser

[hr]Originally posted by: NitehawkVTEC
you can get aftermarket HU's that match the dash colour exactly. just look at the sony i had, i bought it simply because it matched the dash, and it did look better in my car then the Stock HU, and even though it was made by sony and crap as a result, it was still a LOT better than the OEM HU. another one. My current deck which is a Nakamichi looks stock, and has the exact same amber colour as my car... like the sony.... but this one looks stock, and sounds like 100x better. The stock system may sound, alright, but it is by no means good. just to give you an idea, even the honda dealers sells those speakers for 20 dollars each....

if you want to try to rewire the pinouts you can try it, but you'd be better off just buying the honda cd changer also, if you want to stay with stock, but you'll just be getting ripped off, because the stock stuff sucks (the headunit, speakers, etc...). If your that worried, just get a nakamichi deck like me (mine is the CD45Z, with the amber display), and get a mounting kit, and it will look stock, and sound much better, and you won't be getting ripped off or have the hassle of trying to figure out the pinout on the back of the HU vs. your virtually unrelated Alpine CD changer. with the chance that it will never work, quite right. so do yourself a favour and take my advice along with all the other people in the ICE forum. haha.[hr]

haha actually i don't mind having one fo those nice organic display HUs w/ tilt screen..heheh too bad they cost way more than my budget allows right now...after getting a HU, i still gotta pay extra for a changer....

anyways, get what i mean? currently looking for the cheapest way to add more music to the car...

btw, anyone know if Alpine SPS-1629 6" speakers fit in the front? i have a pair lying around doing nothing...

Old 11-03-2002
Super Hoser

[hr]Originally posted by: Abstract
YOu can't get a honda radio to communicate with any chager as stated before, doesn't work liek that but yes it is just a pin change to do it, but the adapter doesn't cost that much. I am not sure of teh pin numbers to change but a local tech may know.[hr]

i still don't understand what ur trying to say..

it sounds as though u said I cannot get a honda radio to communicate with an Alpine changer but there are adaptors available to do a pin change? sound kinda contradictory to me....

can you pls restate that?

and how much is an adaptor? does it just change pinsouts or does it convert signals too?
Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: turboslug

i still don't understand what ur trying to say..

it sounds as though u said I cannot get a honda radio to communicate with an Alpine changer but there are adaptors available to do a pin change? sound kinda contradictory to me....

can you pls restate that?

and how much is an adaptor? does it just change pinsouts or does it convert signals too?[hr]
No someone earlier said you can get any changer to communicate with any head if you know what you are doing. This just simply is not true, totally different languages between different manufacturers. Honda radios are built by Alpine to Honda spec but use Alpine's coding, so an Alpine changer will work with the adapter or by changing whatever pins it is, but I dont' suggest finding out by trial and error, you'll end up with a fried head and/or changer.

Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

Ok here is the offical low down, you can get a Honda radio to communicate with either a Clarion, Kenwood, or Alpine Changer but only certain models, as a matter of fact quite a few can be done, Peripheral is very good at this stuff, it is way more than a pin change though. The adapter is $49.95 check out the list here

http://peripheralelectronics.com/application_guide/app_guide_results.asp?model=%2799%2D02+Honda%27s+% 28Except+Passport%29&Submit=View+Your+Selection&ID =66
Old 11-03-2002
Super Hoser

yeah, i understand diff manufacturers use different ways to communicate and hence different brand aftermarket changers and HUs are likely not compatible......

it looks as though those adaptors translate the interface signals..so it's digital stuff and not just rerouting pinouts