I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Mohawkboom or anyone else need advice for newb

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002
Les
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Les is an unknown quantity at this point
Mohawkboom or anyone else need advice for newb

Have a civic coupe and want to add some bass. I would like to keep it under 500 for the sub and amp and I listen to rap and r&b mostly. I looked through some of the post and kept seeing you mention audiomoblie evo12 and the jbl 600.1 amp came up a couple times. How would this sound? Don't know much and would appreciate your advice. thanks
Old 07-19-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
shiva $125

earthquake 300 watt amp $100 plus shipping on ebay

wire kit $35 shipped from scala, also ebay

box, $60ish, 2.4 cubic feet before sub displacement, sealed.

perfect setup for rap + r&b

if you do all teh work yourself, its $360, total.

if you have a shop do it, itll be $250 for the box instead of $60, plus another $100 to install the amp.

shop install same setup = $650

cant beat a shiva for rap/hiphop/r&b, plays those nice low notes and sounds so warm.

for a little more, you can go ported and get a 500 watt amp. amp will be $50 more, the box will still cost the same ($60 yourself, $250 shop) youll want something like 3.5 cubes BEFORE port and woofer displacement, tuned to high 20's, 27, 28ish Hz.

your SPL benefit will come from porting it, as well as increase yoru low frequency extension. your SQ increase will come from that 500 watt amp, as you will have more headroom. 500 watts is enuff to make a shiva pop, so oull have to watch the distortion.

$360, done. here is the $360 setup, 500 watts, 2.4 cubes sealed in a V6 mustang:

the $360 covers everything you see here, vinyl, woofer, amp, install kit, switch to turn amp on and off, treminal box, everything.
Old 07-20-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
for rap though..somewhat boomy bass is what most prefer..I'd say same setup..but a Tempest instead of a Shiva [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-20-2002
Les
Registered!!

Les is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the info. Also, is one sub enough. I don't want it to blast the whole block, but I'd like it to sound nice if I turn it up and I also don't want to eat up my whole trunk. What's the audiomobile evo12 for, I like the fact it has a small box, but if it won't sound good with rap then I guess I'll go with one of the ones you guys mentioned.
Old 07-20-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
the Evo is a good sounding sub with good output.. feed it a good 300+ Wrms it should bump..don't expect your car to rattle.. but it will cover the lows with soem authority...that sub and an MTX6500D off onlinecarstereo.com + Wiring kit will run just around the $500 mark..plus you'll need an enclosure...with a JBL BP600 it should be around $500 with enclosure if you DIY it
Old 07-20-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
[hr]Originally posted by: mohawkboom
for rap though..somewhat boomy bass is what most prefer..I'd say same setup..but a Tempest instead of a Shiva [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][hr]
boomy bass is a function of teh box, not teh woofer.

put a pair of kenwood tornado woofers in a 1.5 cubic foot box xealed, it will be boomy [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

a correctly installed shiva or tempest would SLAM, and sound good too. tempest by itself is not boomy! nor is a shiva, nor is an evo [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

IMO, a boomy sub is teh one that is installed incorrectly [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] =p

Old 07-20-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: mohawkboom
the Evo is a good sounding sub with good output.. feed it a good 300+ Wrms it should bump..don't expect your car to rattle.. but it will cover the lows with soem authority...that sub and an MTX6500D off onlinecarstereo.com + Wiring kit will run just around the $500 mark..plus you'll need an enclosure...with a JBL BP600 it should be around $500 with enclosure if you DIY it[hr]
the advantage to this setup (600.1) is that later on down the line, you can buy a second evo (or shiva [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] ) and you will not need to buy another amp, you automatically get a second 300 watts that you were not previously using

but two shiva needs alotta space! a definite good setup idea with room for expansion, the evo+bp600.1

shiva plus EQ amp is still jsut $360, net [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] not as upgradable tho........