I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Passenger Door Lock doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aladinbama is an unknown quantity at this point
Passenger Door Lock doesn't work

Hey, new owner here
Anyway, my 03 EX passenger door lock doesn't operate with the key fob. It works manually (of course), but I'd like to get it operational again. My guess is there is a switch or circuit in the door that is messed up.
Where do I begin? Thanks!

Of course, if this isn't posted in the correct section, please feel free to move it!
Old 07-30-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Passenger Door Lock doesn't work

does it operate when you use the automatic switch on the drivers side?

if no, i would start by removing the passenger side door panel and testing the voltage at the door lock actuator motor
Old 07-30-2015
Registered!!

Aladinbama is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikey1
does it operate when you use the automatic switch on the drivers side?

if no, i would start by removing the passenger side door panel and testing the voltage at the door lock actuator motor
Nope, it only works manually! My guess is that motor is toast!
Old 07-30-2015
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Aladinbama
Nope, it only works manually! My guess is that motor is toast!
that would be my guess at this point, however, a wiring issue is not out of the question, check the voltage at the motor
Old 07-30-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Best if you can determine if you have voltage reaching it.

Close the drivers door and work the power locks locked and unlocked several times and watch to see if the lock **** tries to move , or bumps even slightly.

Sit inside and listen close at drivers door during the 1st unlock press of the keyless (only drivers door unlocking) Movement or sound would indicate it is getting power to actuator.
Old 08-19-2015
Registered!!

seanywaa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,

I'm having a similar issue with my passenger side rear door lock.
I have removed the actuator and tested it using loose wires across the battery - the actuator works.
Using a multimeter I'm not getting any voltage on the actuator wires (yellow/black/grey dot & yellow/grey dot wires).
I've also checked where the door card wires get back into the main body of the car and there doesn't seem to be any play or excessive movement in the wires so I'm assuming the wires are not knicked there.

Anyone with suggestions on what to try next?
I was looking for a wiring diagram online but can't find one as I was hoping to test the relay or controller...anyone know where the relay is located?

Thanks
Seany
Old 08-19-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I have removed the actuator and tested it using loose wires across the battery - the actuator works.
Using a multimeter I'm not getting any voltage on the actuator wires
This sounds like a wiring issue.
3 passenger doors are all wired the same (parallel).

I'd first guess a wire is broken in the boot between the door and body.
Old 08-20-2015
Registered!!

I've checked with my hand by reaching into the rubber boot and it didn't feel like there could be a reason for a damaged wire...but I could check again.

Do you know where the wires are wired back to? If I knew that I could check continuity from start to finish.

Failing that I might have to rip out the interior plastic covers to expose the wiring.

I checked behind the glove box but didn't recognize anything associated with the power doors back there.
Old 08-20-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a sedan or a coupe? Big difference.

When a wire breaks from flexing, it usually first breaks inside the insulation so it is not real visible but when you tug hard on it it will stretch then break the plastic. The wire will not stretch if it is intact.
This has been common on rear doors (sedans) with power window problems.

you might check power lock operation with the door halfway open and wide open, see if it works in some other position besides closed, that would indicate a broken wiring problem

You could unplug the wire harness from the body then ohm test from that plug to the lock motor connector (Sedan, rear door)
If this is a front lock problem I'd go to the fusebox instead.

Power locks are controlled by the MICU inside the drivers fusebox.
Pass front door is on plug "M" terminals 6 and 8,
rear doors are on plug "P" terminals 16 and 17
EDIT: If I looked up the right diagram...

Last edited by ezone; 08-20-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-20-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone

I'd first guess a wire is broken in the boot between the door and body.
i agree.....this happened to me

take that boot off and inspect the wires
Old 08-20-2015
Registered!!

Thanks lads, some solid advice there...will give it a go over the weekend and see how it goes.

For reference my car is a 4-door sedan. But I hardly ever use the rear doors, which is why I wouldn't expect a broken wire there but the arguments put forward are very strong and checking the wires (checking the actuator at different door positions & tugging on them) will be my first step.
Then I'll get into the fuse box and go from there.

But as I'm leaning to a wiring issue now as all other doors work and it seems they originate from the same source.
Old 08-22-2015
Registered!!

Hey lads,

Hands up who said it was a broken wire! Correct!! The wire was broken inside the wiring boot between the door and car body.
Thanks lads, ye are a wealth of knowledge, I don't normally post but I have used the forum for other issues in the past.

Cheers
Old 08-22-2015

Originally Posted by seanywaa
Hey lads,

Hands up who said it was a broken wire!
*raises hand*

Do I win a prize?
Cheeseburger sounds good!
Old 08-23-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
*raises hand*

Do I win a prize?
Cheeseburger sounds good!

i guess i got second place, can i at least have some fries?