I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

A/C switch wont shut off

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sandman66 is an unknown quantity at this point
A/C switch wont shut off

I bought a 2002 civic a few weeks ago and am trying to iron out a few bugs the previous owner never told me about. A bit after I bought it I turned on the A/C, worked great. But when I pressed the button to turn it off it wouldnt go off. After a day or so I pressed it again and it went off ( light went out ). The next time I turned it on it worked fine but now it wont turn off. I dont know if its just the switch, and because of the cold temps these days I have the heat on and can't tell if the AC is still operating or if its just the switch. Can anyone help?
Thanks
Old 10-08-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A/C switch wont shut off

Well.... If you remove the panel you should find that the 3 switches are separate from the HVAC control unit.

The 3 lights for the switches are not directly controlled by the switches themselves, they are controlled by the HVAC C.U.

First I'd make sure of whether or not the compressor is being operated.
Also note that selecting the defrost positions can allow the AC compressor to operate, the light in the switch may or may not illuminate when this is happening (I can't remember.)

I'd get a wiring diagram and test each of the switches to see if they are actually doing what they are supposed to, and see that the light is being held on by the HVAC C.U.
Old 10-09-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

If you have it set to floor/def or def position the compressor will run (and A/C light will be lit)

This can be modified easily enough though.
Old 10-14-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sandman66 is an unknown quantity at this point

CraigW. You are right, it comes on only when switch is in defrost or part defrost position. I don't understand why this would be? Why would the compressor run just because it is set to defrost?
Old 10-14-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sandman66
I don't understand why this would be? Why would the compressor run just because it is set to defrost?
I blame gm..... they started it.

But to be honest, It works.
I just don't want my compressor cycling after I have it cleared.

This will allow you to press the A/C switch and release. Just keep in mind if you switch out of floor/def or DEF, then go back you will need to release again.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...rost-mode.html
Old 10-14-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sandman66
CraigW. You are right, it comes on only when switch is in defrost or part defrost position. I don't understand why this would be? Why would the compressor run just because it is set to defrost?
Job #1 of any AC system is to DRY the air.

This is why they run the compressor with the defogger (defroster) on, if the temps are warm enough to allow it to run.