I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

JVC KD-R728BT and no sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kmacsouris is an unknown quantity at this point
JVC KD-R728BT and no sound

Hi,

I have a JVC KD-R728BT deck in my Honda 2001 Civic. Everything was working with the stereo until recently. Drove it to work and I had sound. Drove it home and had the radio off. Got home and hubby changed the spark plugs. Hopped in the car, turned on the radio, no sound. I reset the deck, pulled it out and checked the wires - everything looks good. I was told that the deck was fried but the fuse is still good in the back.

When I say I have no sound, I mean no sound. Everything is quiet - no static, no humm, no nothing. I was told my speakers blew but I can't see all of the speakers blowing at the same time.

I know that if one of the speakers grounds out, they all stop working. I am not familiar with this stuff at all and I am learning as I go along. I don't have another deck to test it with.

Can anyone give any info on the location of the speaker ground wire and how to test it? I would like to give it a shot before I take the car back to the installer and pay big $$ for him to fix it.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 05-19-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: JVC KD-R728BT and no sound

I know that if one of the speakers grounds out, they all stop working.
Right.
info on the location of the speaker ground wire and how to test it?
You just completely contradicted the first line. Not understanding what a "ground" is?
There is not a "ground for the speakers" per se. If ANY bare speaker wire touches the vehicle framework ("chassis ground") one or all speakers may quit working.
Vehicle ground or chassis ground is the same electrically as the 12v battery negative post.
Speakers have their own "ground" through the radio itself. These are not at the same voltage potential as the rest of the car chassis, therefore they can never be connected electrically.

Enough about that....

What DOES the radio do? Does it turn on and light up like usual? JUST no sound?
Or is it completely dead to the world?

Any other radio stuff, like an amp?

Did you check the rest of the fuses in the car?

Radio fuses: One is fuse #9 in the engine compartment fuse box, the other is #8 in the dash fuse box.

Nothing in the trunk that might have knocked a speaker connector off of its metal mount, causing a short to ground?

I've seen strange things from non-factory audio equipment......Unplug the radio (or disconnect the battery), wait 5 minutes, then plug it back in. See if it works now.
Old 05-21-2013
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions --

What DOES the radio do? Does it turn on and light up like usual? JUST no sound?
Yes. The radio turns on, lights up as usual, just no sound. It doesn't matter if I put a CD in it, plug my iPhone into it, or pair up the bluetooth with my phone. It goes through the motions - just no sound. No static, no squelching, no nothing.

Any other radio stuff, like an amp?
None. All I am using is the stock speakers that came with the car.

Did you check the rest of the fuses in the car?

Radio fuses: One is fuse #9 in the engine compartment fuse box, the other is #8 in the dash fuse box.
I checked all the fuses and they are fine.

Nothing in the trunk that might have knocked a speaker connector off of its metal mount, causing a short to ground?
Absolutely nothing in the trunk. It's rarely used.

I've seen strange things from non-factory audio equipment......Unplug the radio (or disconnect the battery), wait 5 minutes, then plug it back in. See if it works now.
This evening I did disconnect everything. I even took a meter to the wiring harness to see if there was a short with any of the wires and everything checks out great - no shorts.

I took an external speaker that I had sitting around and plugged it into the back of the deck and I have sound that way. I disconnected the external speaker and put everything back in the dash and no sound through the deck. I'm wondering now if it could be something internal to the deck. I am completely at a loss at this point.
Old 05-21-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

This evening I did disconnect everything. I even took a meter to the wiring harness to see if there was a short with any of the wires and everything checks out great - no shorts.

I took an external speaker that I had sitting around and plugged it into the back of the deck and I have sound that way. I disconnected the external speaker and put everything back in the dash and no sound through the deck. I'm wondering now if it could be something internal to the deck. I am completely at a loss at this point.
Since the radio WILL drive a speaker, then I don't think there is anything wrong with the deck yet, but there must be something wrong with your car.....wiring or speakers...

You said "to see if there was a short with any of the wires and everything checks out great - no shorts."
But I don't know exactly what you checked, or what criteria you used.

So here is what I would do if it were in my bay at work:
I'd use the ohmmeter again: Pull radio and disconnect it....

Can you get an ohm reading from each pair of speaker leads, say like 8 ohms or 4 ohms for each of the four speakers?

Ok,

Now connect one meter lead lead to the bare steel dash frame for a ground (or battery negative terminal), use the other meter lead to check all 8 speaker wires individually. If any of those 8 show any reading but "open circuit", then it is a short to ground and needs further checking.

I hope that turns up some clue. That's all I got at the moment.
Old 05-21-2013
Registered!!

I will definitely do this once it stops raining! I will report back if I find anything.

Thanks so much for your assistance!