I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Power door locks work (occasionally)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tsp0054 is an unknown quantity at this point
Power door locks work (occasionally)

I recently purchased a 2001 Civic Lx coupe. I knew the power door locks did not work when I purchased it, however the locks work sometimes.

I initially thought it was the fuse until I realized the locks work sometimes. I still checked the fuse and it was fine. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Old 10-23-2012
Registered!!

Re: Power door locks work (occasionally)

I forgot to mention the drivers side lock will not lock manually. (I cannot push the lock to either lock or unlock.) Is this the actuator? Also if the drivers side actuator has gone bad this should not have anything to do with the problem causing the passenger side door to lock or unlock, correct?
Old 10-23-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Actuators get weak. If you pull the door panel and check for power and ground at the actuator while operating the locks, that should indicate the next step.

If I see one that moves (or attempts to move) on the first try, then quits, I bet it is a weak actuator. I already know the wiring must be at least good and fuse is good because it tried to work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

You have to pull one of the handles (inner or outer, either one) before you can lock the drivers door with it open.
When the door is closed, it should lock and unlock normally. Honda has done this for decades and only recently moved away from it.

HTH
Old 10-24-2012
Registered!!

I will pull off the door panel this afternoon and check it out. You are correct about the door unlocking and locking when I pull the handle. At least for now I can manually lock/unlock my doors.

Im trying to fully understand this...... if the actuator on my driver door is weakening or going out, why does my passenger door not work normally when I lock and unlock the doors?

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-24-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tsp0054
if the actuator on my driver door is weakening or going out, why does my passenger door not work normally when I lock and unlock the doors?
Does it work at all?
They are the same age. Same issues are likely.
But test. Don't guess.

When using the factory remote (all doors closed), normally the drivers door must unlock first before any other doors can be unlocked by the control unit. All should lock at the same time.

When using just the power lock button (all doors closed), all door locks should operate together.

HTH