I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Separating Door Unlocks and Attaching Defrost

Old 05-25-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dan in Colorado is an unknown quantity at this point
Separating Door Unlocks and Attaching Defrost

Hey Guys and Gals,

So I've looked around for a few days (internet, here now too), and I can't seem to find a direct answer. When I do searches, my terms are too common to find anything useful (door unlock aftermarket alarm separate etc.).

I have a 2005 Honda Civic EX. Recently, I had a friend install a Python 580. I did a DIY rear trunk pop (love it) and am starting to get addicted to doing all the little DIY crap to my Honda.

First question: is there a way to have my aftermarket alarm unlock the driver side first and then the passenger side on second button push? The stock alarm did it but I'm not sure how to hook up the aftermarket to accomplish this. I tried changing the aftermarket settings to every option possible and it just wouldn't do it as I believe it is simply hooked into "all door unlock." My friend who did the install seemed unsure as well.

Second question: Is there a way to hook up the rear defroster? The aftermarket remote start will start the defroster automatically when hooked up but we couldn't figure out if there was a place to hook it up.

Third question: Currently, I have the rear trunk pop hooked up to an extra 12v outlet on the circuit box (don't worry :-) it has an inline 15 amp fuse). See picture here. I was thinking of attaching this plug (if it is the right size?) stripped from an older Honda and then attaching that plug from the original circuit box to a new 8 circuit breaker box. Then, I'd run my trunk pop from that new breaker box; I'll have room for expansion if I want to add lights or other miscellaneous items as well. Is this a good idea? Or should I just run a brand new 12v from the battery to the inside of the car for my new breaker box? I'm attempting to keep my battery uncluttered as possible...

For question 3, I got my ideas partially from this website. CauseForAlarm.

If I missed a post on how to do any of this, I apologize. I did search for it and I'm just not finding anything!

Ps. Awesome post about the carputer in the DIY. I have wanted to do this forever but always thought it would be such a friggin pain x)

Last edited by Dan in Colorado; 05-25-2011 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Remove sexism :D
Old 05-25-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Separating Door Unlocks and Attaching Defrost

Question2: it's simple. Just turn on the rear defroster before you turn off your car at night and leave it. It will automatically engage when you start your remote start.
Old 05-25-2011
Registered!!

Hmmm. I tried that just now and I'm not sure why it doesn't work? It's a push button that lights up. I turn the car on (turn the key to just before ignition) press it and it lights up, then I turn the car off, and then back on again and the light isn't on anymore.

Edit: Gonna try it with the remote start right now after rereading the post to see if it makes a difference.
Old 05-25-2011
Registered!!

Ok. Tried it again with the remote start and still no luck.

I turned the car all the way on (so the engine was running), pushed the button so it lit up, and then turned the car off. Then I used the key fob to remote start it and the light was off again.
Old 05-25-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the rear defrost button is on a 15 minute timer and it needs to be pressed each time the car is started. it will not remember from last time. this is due to safety reasons and the fact that the coil uses a lot of power. you do not want that staying on constantly. i think what he meant above is turn the position dial to the full right where it has the orange defrost icon. that way it will turn on the a/c when you remote start the car and this will defog the windows much faster.

for the first question, there is no easy way. stock keyless box has logic circuitry to unlock driver door first and then the rest. aftermarket simply taps into the door lock circult for every door. there is no way to use the keyless system alongside the aftermarket.
Old 05-25-2011
Registered!!

Ahh ok. That's what I currently do but I was hoping to use up all of the features on the alarm haha. And I also thought it might help on those days that ice forms on the window and is hard to scrap off unless it's melted a little already. Unless there are other ideas, seems I'm SOL...

Also sucks about the door locks. I like having the security of just the driver door opening so when my girlfriend uses the car, I don't have to worry about someone trying to jack her when she gets in.
Old 05-25-2011
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

my first thought was to simply wire in a remote to the alarm. so the alarm would basically be pushing a button on the remote. you could even power the remote form a constant source. it would be easy just use small relays across the buttons. then Mount everything under the dash.
Old 05-25-2011
Registered!!

I'm willing to do that! I'm just not sure I'm tech savvy enough to accomplish such a feat.
Old 05-27-2011
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

if you were local i could show you how. do you have a trunk poper button on the factory remote?
Old 05-27-2011
Registered!!

I'm almost 100% sure it doesn't have a trunk popper button as the car didn't come stock with an electric trunk pop. I'll look this weekend: I don't have the key fob on me.

I live in Denver btw. I wasn't sure where you are located but just in case, thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 04-21-2015
Registered!!

johndd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dan in Colorado
Hey Guys and Gals,

So I've looked around for a few days (internet, here now too), and I can't seem to find a direct answer. When I do searches, my terms are too common to find anything useful (door unlock aftermarket alarm separate etc.).

I have a 2005 Honda Civic EX. Recently, I had a friend install a Python 580. I did a DIY rear trunk pop (love it) and am starting to get addicted to doing all the little DIY crap to my Honda.

First question: is there a way to have my aftermarket alarm unlock the driver side first and then the passenger side on second button push? The stock alarm did it but I'm not sure how to hook up the aftermarket to accomplish this. I tried changing the aftermarket settings to every option possible and it just wouldn't do it as I believe it is simply hooked into "all door unlock." My friend who did the install seemed unsure as well.

Second question: Is there a way to hook up the rear defroster? The aftermarket remote start will start the defroster automatically when hooked up but we couldn't figure out if there was a place to hook it up.

Third question: Currently, I have the rear trunk pop hooked up to an extra 12v outlet on the circuit box (don't worry :-) it has an inline 15 amp fuse). See picture here. I was thinking of attaching this plug (if it is the right size?) stripped from an older Honda and then attaching that plug from the original circuit box to a new 8 circuit breaker box. Then, I'd run my trunk pop from that new breaker box; I'll have room for expansion if I want to add lights or other miscellaneous items as well. Is this a good idea? Or should I just run a brand new 12v from the battery to the inside of the car for my new breaker box? I'm attempting to keep my battery uncluttered as possible...

For question 3, I got my ideas partially from this website. CauseForAlarm.

If I missed a post on how to do any of this, I apologize. I did search for it and I'm just not finding anything!

Ps. Awesome post about the carputer in the DIY. I have wanted to do this forever but always thought it would be such a friggin pain x)

Rear Defrost:
Yes, I just did this on my 2005 Civic. You need to get a + pulse signal to pin 3 (blue wire) on the defrost button connector. I used a relay to get the positive pulse from the trunk signal (which is a negative pulse). Pushing the trunk button on the remote turns the defroster ON when the car is started remotely and a second push on the button turns it OFF.

Getting at the temperature control panel with the switch was difficult because it has two hidden screws holding it in place. I removed the centre console as described in youtube, but I think I could have removed the power outlet panel first and then get to the screws.