I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

LARGE case alternator? bigger battery!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
incognyto is an unknown quantity at this point
LARGE case alternator? bigger battery!!

like quite a few people i have a boom box in the civic that's capable of dimming the head light's quite a bit. I've heard of people installing modified large case alternator's 120+ amp's. I have a 1 farad cap. (debatable whether or not it helps) a large interstate rv/marine battery inplace of the stock batt. (alot of people don't know the big batt's will fit with only a small extention on the hold down clamp!!) I'm also going to put a red top AGM into the trunk w/ an isolator relay. next is a bigger alternator, all in preperation for an even bigger stereo.
anyone have any idea's as to what large case alt I can start with that may work in the 2003? I'll go take pics of the battery for everyone now that battery upgrade alone helped quite a bit!!
Old 12-13-2009
Registered!!

Re: LARGE case alternator? bigger battery!! PICS

the box is unpainted, cuz that wont make it sound better

not so clean wiring job, not good but not the worst I've seen.

the battery if you look close to the bottom of the pic you'll see the piece of
metal I added to extend the clamp
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0931.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	77663   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0932.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	77664   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0933.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	77665  
Old 12-13-2009
Registered!!

Re: LARGE case alternator? bigger battery!!

kinda feels like I'm talking to myself here either way I'll be selling the JL 500/1 and the 12w1v2's and getting a sundown audio 2000-3500 watter... and some fi BL subs 15 incher's and we'll see how that thumps!!
Old 12-13-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

why so much basssss????
Old 12-13-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

15s are overkill in a civic.
Old 12-13-2009
Registered!!

i've never had fifteens before and I want some... my system is already rediculous but I'm going to get an SPL measurement before I rip this system out and put the big **** in. I just want to be really really loud. I've done tones of research and nobody has the amp's or the subs for that matter up here for the most part ... the only people up here (canada) that have all the good **** are the high spl guys... well I want HUGE bass but to be able to tone it down a bit to listen to tunes. hope that's not to long of an explanation, on another note. I wonder why most people always just ask more questions to someone else's questions. I was excited to see a reply and OH BOOOOOO lame. anyway's if anyone that has red this far into my post might know what kinda of alternator I can start with I have a mill and I can modify and make any kind of bracket so any help would be apreciated.

either way I'll jam some big alternator in there sometime with or without help thanks again
Old 12-13-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i remember reading something about a voltage regulator or something along those line that renders a higher output alternator useless without modifying our electrical system can someone elaborate.
Old 12-14-2009
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lowlife9
i remember reading something about a voltage regulator or something along those line that renders a higher output alternator useless without modifying our electrical system can someone elaborate.
ELD = electric load detector

it controls the output of the alternator. it's in the fuse box, so anything connected straight to the battery, like amps, won't be detected, so your alternator (stock or HO) won't put out any more juice.
Old 12-14-2009
Registered!!

Silvership05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Join caraudio.com/forum and send a pm to fbi90909. he knows a thing or two about HO alts and getting alot of power from our civics.

personally I run 1500rms with just a Stinger SPV35 and I have 0 dimming issues and very little voltage drop. Check ur wiring, make sure you have a very good ground. It's tough to make a top notch ground in our cars.
Old 12-26-2009
Registered!!

i'm only running 800 rms and I can get it to dim pretty good with the grounds 2 of the big three grounds done... haven't done the alt wire yet cuz I want a bigger alternator reguardless of what anyone say's.. 15's are not overkill for me. my brother think's 12's are overkill... he has 2 10's... i've never had 15's and really want them... I got another 500/1 so I might do 15's or the JL 13.5's..
and a second batt in the trunk... which I may have already stated above

on another board there was some mention of some sort of gm/delco remy alternator's fitting with possible small mods. i'm going to start with a cs144 hopefully the 140 amp version maybe just get the 200 amp one and make it work. MAYBE i'll take pics... but hey 15's are overkill so I better not record this..

:b ump:

????????????/