I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Optima Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang
Optima Battery

I recently relocated my battery to the trunk. This was great for opening up more room in the engine bay but would cause me to loose some in the trunk. I came up with an idea. I could get an Optima Battery and mount it on its side in the spare tire well. You know between your spare tire and the jack in that open area. Yep, I mounted the yellow top on its side there. If you decide to do this you will need the Model D51 or D51R.

Any way I did not make this thread about my battery relocation or even what battery is better than the other. I know a lot of you would like an Optima but do not want to spend the $199.00 plus tax at the local auto parts house. So I found a great place to purchase Factory Fresh Optima Battery's shipped at a wholesale price.

1st Optima Battery Sales

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/

OPTIMA Batteries: The battery like NO other!

Inside the unique shell of the OPTIMA battery is a radically superior internal design. The structure of conventional batteries lead plates hanging in pools of acid requires those lead plates to provide their own structural support. To accomplish this, the lead is diluted with high percentages of inert stiffening metals that rob those conventional batteries of performance.
The unique engineering concept of the OPTIMA battery uses long thin layers of lead wound into tight spiral cells. Because they're tightly supported on all sides by high strength cylindrical cell casings, the lead ribbons of the OPTIMA battery aren't required to provide structural strength, so they can be made from high-purity, high-performance lead. This translates into dramatically lower internal resistance and higher output at temperature extremes. OPTIMA batteries can be fully recharged in about an hour, twice as fast as conventional batteries. They also can sit unused four times longer than other batteries, losing less than half a volt in over 6 months of nonuse.
An absorbent glass mat, alternating with the layers of lead, holds electrolyte in contact with the OPTIMA batteries greater lead surface area. This laminated construction provides far more active surface area in the OPTIMA battery. It also supports a thicker layer of plate paste, for prolonged service life typically half again to twice the life of conventional batteries. This technology is called "AGM" for "Absorbed Glass Mat" and it is a major advance in battery design.
OPTIMA BATERIES revolutionary Spiralcell® design produces more power and increased energy, resulting in fast, reliable starts even in extreme conditions. Because OPTIMA is the only battery with Spiralcell construction, no other battery offers OPTIMA batteries combination of performance and reliability in land and marine applications. OPTIMA BATTERIES deliver power!

1st Optima Batteries provides FREE shipping to the lower 48 states*! Your Optima battery arrives by UPS, fully charged and ready to use!

Ultra high performance in cold or heat... Ultra shock resistance... High tolerance for accidental deep discharge... OPTIMA battery is the ultimate battery for any vehicle that really needs to start. OPTIMA batteries are preferred by emergency vehicle crews because they deliver more power in tougher conditions than any other battery. Collectors and RV owners appreciate the Optima batteries ability to hold a charge up to 3 times longer than conventional batteries. 1st Optima Battery pays the shipping costs to 48 states, so prices quoted are your total delivered cost. No handling fees, and no sales tax outside Nebraska.

OPTIMA Yellow Top and OPTIMA Blue Top battery models are the power source of choice for deep-cycle power needs. Compared to conventional batteries, voltage output from an Optima battery is more uniform across the discharge curve, more deep cycles are tolerated, and they can be mounted in any position with zero corrosion and zero leaks. They recharge faster than conventional batteries, and typically deliver 1.5 - 2x the service life. Yellow Top Optima Batteries and Blue Top Optima batteries also offer excellent performance as starter batteries for dual-purpose applications. Call us to order the premium power source for heavy cycling applications. With free shipping and no handling fees, prices quoted are your total delivered cost!**
Old 03-20-2009
Registered!!

fiend is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Optima Battery

awesome find man! that saves you almost 50 bucks!
Old 03-20-2009
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

Yep, YEP!
Old 03-21-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Looks like the same price as costco has em for, at least one of the costco's out near my way.. the other one had it for about 50 bux more.. odd.
Old 03-21-2009
Registered!!

Like I said, I got the D51. Sams Club had it for 162.00 my local parts house (Oreillys) had it for 199.99. It is on the site for $167.00 shipped. So not as cheap as a warehouse store but cheaper than the parts house. I actually got mine from Oreillys , just because I know the mgr and he let me have it for 170 out the door. He told me it cost them 148 so the 170 is the cheapest he can sell it with tax and all.
Old 03-21-2009
Registered!!

fiend is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe its cheaper at costco and other places like that because alot of those places sell everything at almost wholesale cost, just a guess
Old 03-21-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i would suggest doing more research if you want an optima. theyre not as good as everyone seems to think.
Old 03-21-2009
Registered!!

I agree, they are not the best battery. They are a good battery and deffinatly better than Walmart. They also can be mounted in any position and offered one small enough to do what I wanted. That is the only reason I went with one. Was actually looking at an Odyssey...
Old 03-21-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i guess there isnt alot of choice if you do trunk relocation. you need something thats sealed.
Old 03-22-2009
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Okay, I'll bite... what other ones are better then optimas, mr advanced auto?
Old 03-22-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

odyssey ,kinetik,
Old 03-22-2009
Premium Member

lol any lead acid battery beats optima imo. just try and find a group51 that has around 500cca like the dealer has. the best ones are the batteries with vents that can be removed to add distilled water. just check it every month and add some if the cells get low. makes the battery last for a long time if you take care of it properly.
Old 03-22-2009
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

the walmart batteries always lasted a pretty long time for me.
Old 03-23-2009
Premium Member

I'm still running the stock battery in my 2001. I dont see a reason to replace it until it stops working on me.
Old 03-23-2009
Registered!!

OK, since you guys are all on or definitely against the Optima bandwagon...

Optima batterys are not the best, they are not even close, not even in the top 3. I had to use one because they are the only one who had a non-spillable in the size I needed. I would have rather had an Odyssey or a Kinetic or a XS Power Cell...

Like I said, this thread was not made to brag about how good or even better one battery is over the other. It is simple a inexpensive way to purchase an Optima if you would like.
Old 03-23-2009
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

i noticed my batteries die around every 3yrs give or take a few months. I usually replaced them after 3yrs as preventative maintence. I'd rather i just replace early then wait for it to die at 3am in the morning when i need the car the most.
Old 03-23-2009
Premium Member

i can tell when it starts to go bad cause you can hear the car sturggle to start. but yeah my last battery lasted 2 yrs but i forgot to check the electrolyte and it was bone dry. im treating my new one much better.
Old 03-24-2009
Premium Member

So did I just get the superman of batteries then or what? ...why has mine lasted so long? It actually died once on me and I had to wait about 20 mins and it started up again... I went home, filled it up and charged it, and havent had a problem since.
Old 03-24-2009
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice

Originally Posted by gearbox
i would suggest doing more research if you want an optima. theyre not as good as everyone seems to think.
yeah i had an optima and it was dead, car wouldnt turn over, returned it and got an exide orbital.
Old 03-24-2009
Registered!!

D5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cwo715
yeah i had an optima and it was dead, car wouldnt turn over, returned it and got an exide orbital.
this post tells us exactly nothing!
Old 03-24-2009
Premium Member

well it tells you that since optimas almost never sell in the store, they often sit there for years. last place i worked at our newest optima was made over a year ago, some were 3 yrs old. you want a battery thats at most 2 months old. they all have stickers on the battery. and triz, if you had a sealed battery (im pretty sure oems are sealed), it lasts longer cause its harder for the fluid to evaporate. but if you have a servicable type battery, its always recommended to check the levels every month if you can.
Old 03-24-2009
Registered!!

speedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of light

i'm still on my stock battery too.. its an 03

i was actually thinking of what battery i should get since it seems like i'm way overdue..
Old 03-24-2009
Registered!!

D5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of light

well it tells you that since optimas almost never sell in the store, they often sit there for years. last place i worked at our newest optima was made over a year ago, some were 3 yrs old. you want a battery thats at most 2 months old. they all have stickers on the battery. and triz, if you had a sealed battery (im pretty sure oems are sealed), it lasts longer cause its harder for the fluid to evaporate. but if you have a servicable type battery, its always recommended to check the levels every month if you can.
well judging from his post it tells us nothing. he could of owned the battery for years, he could of dropped it 50,000 feet, he could of used a battery from the trash can..

i know the example are ludicrous, but i'm just saying, he's giving a statement without any details of what's going on or how he got to that point.
Old 03-24-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by speedricerx
i'm still on my stock battery too.. its an 03

i was actually thinking of what battery i should get since it seems like i'm way overdue..
if the battery is fine, no point of changing anything.

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Old 03-26-2009
Registered!!

i can tell when it starts to go bad cause you can hear the car sturggle to start. but yeah my last battery lasted 2 yrs but i forgot to check the electrolyte and it was bone dry. im treating my new one much better.
so how do you know if you have a serviceable battery? if it is one, what do you refill it with.
Old 03-26-2009
Premium Member

most of them that will open have those two caps on the top with the white poison writings. those can be popped off with a flathead screwdriver. there are total of two, and 3 cells under each cap usually. you wanna make sure they are all nearly filled, but not completely so leave maybe 1/2 inch so the caps can close without splashing fluid. all you do is add distilled water. then put the caps back on and drive the car so the water can mix with the battery acids.

ofcourse always use goggles and be careful not to get the acid splashed on your clothes.

Last edited by gearbox; 03-26-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-26-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Any authorized retailer has their batteries cycled by Optima every 60 days. They come in and take the old batteries, replace with new ones and recharge the old ones for restock.

I just paid $260 CAD for a yellow top yesterday, I pick it up today after work. What's the shipping price from this company to Canada? It shouldn't be much, I'm only 3 hours from the Montana border, but then it is UPS so they make their own rates.
Old 03-26-2009
Registered!!

I dont know how much shipping to the USA's hat would be..... I dont work for them.
I would suggest you call and ask, probably not too much extra.
Old 03-26-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Found this on the website:
For Canada: 1-888-867-8462.
Didn't tell me ****.
Old 04-07-2009
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice

Originally Posted by D5cIvIc
if the battery is fine, no point of changing anything.

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
haha i left it like that to just be like a fragment of a sentence, what happened was i purchased the optima from sears in the winter of 2008 and had it installed, about a month later the battery was depleted, no cranking nothing, sears warrantied it but since it was within 30 days i refunded it and ordered an exide orbital, im just saying watch out for Optima, they arent the best that they once were.