I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Current Tests

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light
Current Tests

So those who have been around for a while might know of the discussions that have taken place regarding aftermarket alternators, stock voltage regulators, and the almighty Electrical Load Detector. Well, after slight prodding, I banged out some quick tests to see whether or not my audio system (which bypasses the ELD) is taken into account by the stock voltage regulator.

Measurements were all taken at idle. The variables are: (1) my system being either completely off or cranked up to 25 (which is above my highest comfortable listening level) and (2) my air conditioning (A/C) being completely off or turned to max.

When the system was on, a 45s song clip (the beginning of Mr. Writer by Stereophonics) was looped. Voltage min/max and current readings for each step were taken in this 45s period and then repeated after a variable change.

Results were basically inconclusive. I know I need to find a music clip with more energy and I think I'm going to extend testing duration to a minute. Also, next round will involve tests @ 2K RPM (I need more hands!!).

At low currents (A/C off) the alternator appears to react to the demands of the system.

At high currents (A/C on) the alternator does not appear to react to demands of the audio system.

Questions encouraged, I'm sure this isn't very clear as it is.

The current clamp works by converting each amp to 1 mV. So, the accompanying meter display is set to mV, a reading of 4mV means 4A passing thru the current clamps jaws.

Here's a technical breakdown, current vs. maximum and minimum voltages.

Cable A - going from the positive post of the battery to all of my amplifiers and the deck to my system

Cable B - output from the alternator, it runs to the fusebox

Cable C - main power for the vehicle, the only cable running from the battery + post to the vehicle fusebox

Cable D - feed from (or to, whatever) chassis ground to the negative post of the battery. 4mV reading means 4A are coming into the battery. The engine is on and alternator is working.

Cable D - this time with the engine off and the A/C fully cranked on. As you see, the battery is putting out a bit of current. -29mV means 29A of current is flowing out of the battery, running the air conditioning system.

This meter took care of voltage minimums and maximums over each 45 second period during which current readings were taken.

The equipment, Fluke i410 current clamp, Fluke 12, Fluke 111

Last edited by christmaspie; 05-09-2008 at 12:43 AM. Reason: damn typos
Old 05-09-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Current Tests

Damn dude....I bet you can do some diagnosis, I wish I could get my techs to go that deep.....you want a job? I need a tech!
Old 05-09-2008
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by FoSho
Damn dude....I bet you can do some diagnosis, I wish I could get my techs to go that deep.....you want a job?
I am very happily employed but thank you.
Old 05-09-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

seems to me like the eld reacts to a new power-requiring device and then forgets about it a bit later. like if the readout is around 12v, then you turn the heater on, it will shoot up to 14v+ immediately. but then after a while it goes back to 12v even tho the heater is still on. i think its def a weird setup and maybe by running the stereo loud and it taking power away from the other car devices is what makes the eld raise power and not just due to the stereo itself.
Old 05-09-2008
Diamond Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ i like that theory.

my speculation: everything in the eld is prioritized, right? so what if the battery is somehow in that order, and when a stereo drains the battery, the eld sees the drained battery and re-fuels it. but this would also mean that the battery is lower importance than the a/c.

which is illogical. so ilike gearboxs theory
Old 05-09-2008
Registered!!

ELD schematic:

Old 05-09-2008
Registered!!

and for those that need to get up to speed on the ELD: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...-detector.html
Old 05-09-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

my brain hurts lol. isnt the whole purpose of the eld to save alternator life by cutting power when its not needed? and it will do this no matter what is hooked where on the car? it cant be that a mod stays "hidden" because it will have some effect on the car which the eld will pick up.
Old 05-09-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
isnt the whole purpose of the eld to save alternator life by cutting power when its not needed?
Yes.

and it will do this no matter what is hooked where on the car?
Well, that's where the uncertainty lies and why I've done these tests.

it cant be that a mod stays "hidden" because it will have some effect on the car which the eld will pick up.
But if the current doesn't directly flow thru the ELD, that's kind of the concern.

If you look at the tests I performed with the A/C on, there's no question the current being delivered to the audio system came from the battery. So it bypassed the ELD. And we can see the alternator didn't make any more current at this time than it did with the system completely off.

Yes my brain is starting to hurt a little too.
Old 05-09-2008
Premium Member

how about this test. after the car is at idle for a while and the eld turns the alt down to 12v, turn ON your radio that was previously off and already set to a high volume. so that way, its a completely new addition to the electrical load and will draw alot of power on startup.

another interesting thing is my new 50w hid kits. i have them wired directly to the battery with relay harness and when i turn them on with the car at idle, you can actually hear the engine bog down considerably. maybe more than the a/c kicking on. it would be interesting to see if the voltage goes up because that is a big amp draw on the charging system but should be "hidden" as you say from the eld.
Old 05-10-2008
Registered!!

how about this test. after the car is at idle for a while and the eld turns the alt down to 12v, turn ON your radio that was previously off and already set to a high volume. so that way, its a completely new addition to the electrical load and will draw alot of power on startup.
I like it, I'm sure I can work that into the next round of tests. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2008
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Current Tests

great work man. still a lot of questions to be answered. we're on the verge of getting an amp clamp for my department at work. i can use that and check my lighting harness which has a draw of 340w constant (low beams, high beams and HID fogs) directly from the battery. good info
Old 05-11-2008
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

Wow, I'm very impressed. As negative as this sounds, it's rare to see a truly technical discussion on these boards, and as an engineering student, I'm thoroughly interested. Subscribed.

Oh, and an imaginary +1 for you. Wish we could change that setting.