I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Solution to Trunk Spring Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007
Super Hoser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
Solution to Trunk Spring Rattle

For the longest time, my trunk springs would resonate violently when my sub hit certain low frequencies. It sounded like two pieces of metal clanging against each other. Originally I thought it was the rear shelf causing the ruckus because that's what a lot of people have trouble with. In the end, I narrowed it down to the springs and applied sound deadening to them. It worked like a charm. The only trunk rattles I have left are the ones caused by the trunk vent and the trunk latch but those are barely noticeable compared to the rattling caused by the trunk springs.

Anyways, I hope this post will be of help to other people that may have the same problem.

Last edited by turboslug; 09-27-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-26-2007
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold
Re: Solution to Trunk Spring Rattle

man, that had to be loud, take some pics to share with us, id like to see what u did
Old 09-26-2007
Registered!!

mike21190 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for that. im edeading my whole trunk now and thats really helpful
Old 09-27-2007
Registered!!

EggRollBandit05 will become famous soon enoughEggRollBandit05 will become famous soon enough

or you can remove the springs altogether and do the trunk shock diy
Old 09-27-2007
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by EggRollBandit05
or you can remove the springs altogether and do the trunk shock diy
yups, but i didn't bother because it's more work than i feel like doing...
Old 09-27-2007
Super Hoser

Originally Posted by greeen01civic4d
man, that had to be loud, take some pics to share with us, id like to see what u did
all i did was wrap sound deadening material around the springs that hold up the trunk lid. it was a simple, cheap, and very effective solution to the problem i had.

note that not everyone will have trunk spring rattle though. if you're not experiencing rattling from the trunk springs, you probably don't need to sound deaden it.

lots of people seem to complain about the rear shelf rubbing against the rear window. my car doesn't have the annoying rattle from there so i didn't bother trying to fix a nonexistent problem

Last edited by turboslug; 09-27-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-27-2007
Super Hoser

btw, to tell whether if your rattle is caused by the trunk springs, sit in the back of the car w/ the seatback folded down. turn up the subwoofers, and when you hear the rattling, grab the springs w/ your hands to stop the rattling. if the rattling doesn't stop, the trunk springs aren't the problem.

note that the trunk spring rattle doesn't happen with the trunk lip flip open.

Last edited by turboslug; 09-27-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-27-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you can also pound on the deck lid from inside and see if you hear a springy type sound lol.
Old 09-27-2007
Super Hoser

Originally Posted by gearbox
you can also pound on the deck lid from inside and see if you hear a springy type sound lol.
i've tried it but it didn't work very well because the trunk spring rattle happened only at certain resonant frequencies...
Old 09-27-2007
Super Hoser

Originally Posted by mike21190
thanks for that. im edeading my whole trunk now and thats really helpful
i guess i should throw in an extra hint. it you want the sound deadening install to look good, it may be easier to wrap the springs if you remove the springs first. that's what i did because i had the honda trunk spring removal tool.

note i also used a super thin deadening material because for wrapping a small diameter rod, it was easier to wrap a few layers around the rod rather than one thick layer. don't ask where i got the thin stuff. i got it for free and don't know where to get more.
Old 09-27-2007
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold

Slug, why didn't you throw them in the garbage while you had them out and replace them with struts? Opening the trunk is easier and rattle isn't a problem either.
Old 09-28-2007
Super Hoser

Originally Posted by PopcornPlaya
Slug, why didn't you throw them in the garbage while you had them out and replace them with struts? Opening the trunk is easier and rattle isn't a problem either.
haha, i would but there are so many other things i want to get done on my car before trunk springs becomes a priority...i actually had the shock kit but sold it after letting it sit around for more than a year.

my fix was cheap because i got the sound deadening for free...it was also easy because i had the honda trunk spring removal tool lying around