I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Rear deck bottom mounting speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all
Rear deck bottom mounting speakers

2002 Civic LX sedan. Was wondering if anyone has ever mounted speakers in the back from the bottom to deal with top height issues. I have a pair of polk db650s that I want to put back there. Was there any cutting needed to open the hole up more? I know one of you mentioned doing this but never mentioned if there was anything speacial that had to be done.

Last edited by ryox82; 05-15-2007 at 04:52 AM.
Old 05-15-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BERGER will become famous soon enoughBERGER will become famous soon enough
Re: Rear deck bottom mounting speakers

you'll have to remove the trunk springs that keep the trunk open and then when you go to put your head in the trunk it'll shut on you lol i just put mine through the top..
Old 05-15-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

Mine are mounted from the bottom and I did not remove anything. They fit fine.
Old 05-15-2007
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah I've done this in several cars without issue. As someone else here stated previously it makes for gravy warranty work.
Old 05-15-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

does it still sound okay?
Old 05-15-2007
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
does it still sound okay?
Not sure if this was directed at me but I've never been too concerned with the subjective sound quality of rear speakers. I've also never had a complaint from someone when I mounted their drivers this way. I could see the potential for some diffraction issues but in a car environment there's plenty of other things that degrade sound to worry about before diffraction.

Last edited by christmaspie; 05-15-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-15-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well true but i depend on the rears for most of the bass. fronts give some but the rear is much better at that. fronts are good for everything else and makes it sound balanced. but yea as far as most ofthe sound i cant hear anything from the back except bass.
Old 05-16-2007
Registered!!

ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all

The whole reason I had posted this question is because the polk db650s have a top height issue...i am having trouble even getting them in the door....stayed home from work for a trip to home depot....lots of shaving and cutting :-) and I need my own drill.
Old 05-16-2007
Registered!!

Also, I would asume that if there is no interference with the cone and the surround from the metal, if mounted right....shouldn't cause too much of a problem....I have been talking to alpha about this over PM's and he hasnt mentioned any SQ Issues.
Old 05-16-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ryox82
The whole reason I had posted this question is because the polk db650s have a top height issue...i am having trouble even getting them in the door....stayed home from work for a trip to home depot....lots of shaving and cutting :-) and I need my own drill.
what height of spacer are you using for the door speakers? if you're not using a spacer, then that's an issue too. those have a 2" top mount depth, so you'll need at least a 1/2" spacer to get them to clear the window in the door when it's down. if you use a 1/2" spacer, it should fit no problem. i got infinity reference 6.5's to fit with a 3/4" spacer which put the surface height of the speaker a little over an inch. the bottom mount depth of your polks is 2-5/16". so even with a 1/2" spacer, your height should be less than an inch and fit just fine. i don't know what the clearance is with the rears and the trunk springs.
Old 05-16-2007
Registered!!

All was finished with the rears and fronts. They looked like 1 inch spacers and thats all crutchfeild had. A tech there was sending me out some ABS plastic sheets to custom my own for free but I on Alphas advice I just took a razor to the door and cut down the circle on the door on the grill, basically down flat to the grill. Fit fine after that. I asked if they had 1/2 inch spacers first of course but they did not.

Besides swapping PM's with Alpha I read up on your DIY electric and it helped alot in the door removal and all so props for putting that up. I dont have a saw though and I JUSt picked up a drill of my own today with some good quality bits and now I am just waiting for m RAMMmat and Ensolite to come in so I can tear it all down again and REALLY have some fun.

I bought rotors too today and INTENDED on putting them on but I could not get those calipers off for the life of me