I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Overpowering components? Ported vs sealed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006
Boredom causes changes ;)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Karumba has a spectacular aura aboutKarumba has a spectacular aura aboutKarumba has a spectacular aura about
Overpowering components? Ported vs sealed?

As you'll probably learn from this thread/post - I'm a noob still in the audio realm but trying to learn. Probably not well enough, but so be it...

I have a friend selling his amplifiers for a decent price - the one I am interested in being a JL audio 450/4 amp. Seeing as how I want to upgrade my front speakers to components, I am wondering if I am choosing the right ones or if this amplifier is too much for them :dunno: At the moment, the decision would lie between Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 or CDT CL-62a for front components. Both are around the same price range ~$225 US, unless someone can recommend something else within that price-range

However, the problem lies in the fact that the Pefects are supposed to take 100 watts RMS (with a peak of 400 ) - while the CDTs are supposed to take 130 watts (unsure of the peak)

The JL 450/4 gives 150 watts to the front (in stereo mode - as it would probably be set-up). Is this too much power/harmful or fine ? :dunno: I am assuming it is fine, but I would rather care to know(/be explained moreso)prior to purchasing the amp.

Also, I'm assuming I can run the amp in stereo mode, but possible not include any rear speakers into the mix. I think I'd rather my rear-fill as the sub instead of other speakers for the time being (ie saving money) but have the ability to upgrade with other speakers as the amplifier still allows it.
---

The next question would be for sub enclosure/picking a sub. Looking between the Infinity Perfect 12d or the JL 12w3v2. Would you recommend either one over the other or something else entirely? As well, what enclosure type would you recommend for either sub in particular? Also, a 250watt mono channel amp would be enough power for either of these subs or I am way off and need at least 500watts?

Thanks in advance for any/all help.
Old 06-09-2006
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
speaker power ratings are very fishy, the wattage expressed is actually the amount of heat the voice coil can take before the lacquer melts and the voice coil shorts out. RMS ratings are just to get in the ballpark. As long as your feeding your speakers a clean undistorted signal, you'll have no problems at all. Remember music is very dynamic and your speakers will very rarely see the full power of your amplifier.

as far as the subs go, I have two perfect 10's waiting to go in my car. I'm just waiting on some parts for my table saw before i can start building a box for them. I'll let you know how they sound when i get everything installed.
Old 06-09-2006
Registered!!

free_refil will become famous soon enoughfree_refil will become famous soon enough
That amp should be fine on either of those component sets. It's a very clean amp and going a little over the rated wattage is no problem. I actually prefer it, myself.
Old 06-09-2006
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
U should be fine w/ that amp for the components
Old 06-12-2006
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
I run a 300/2 to my front stage with a 10db down rear fill and it rocks.
Old 06-12-2006
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Overpowering doesn't kill speakers. Tuning incorrectly, and in correct use of the volume **** kills speakers. You can use an amp that's twice the peak rms rating and not kill a speaker. Unless you try to drive the speaker too hard (overuse of the gain and volume) you're not going to kill your speakers with thremal distortion. I condensed the point some for time constraints, and it may be a little unclear, but overpowering speakers won't kill them unless you tune incorectly, and incorrectly use your volume ****.
Old 06-12-2006
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Distortion kills. Ya know how you have a fuse on your power wire? When you send a signal or draw power you excite molecules. This causes heat. Too much heat, not able to be disapated (often in the case of power by cable too small for the amount of draw) causes the fuse to "pop". When distortion occurs the signal changes. Thermal protection can sense this change and "cuts-off" the signal until adequate conditions are reached again. When you underdrive a speaker and try to make up for the lack of power with volume, you only serve to amplify a poor signal causing clipping. Many amps have the abilty to sense clipping but by that point it may be too late. More power = cleaner signal = safer. Always