I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Lighter Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toaster is on a distinguished road
Lighter Fuse

Wifes 2004 VP keeps blowing the fuse when using cell charger. Tried plugging everything in with car off, tried leaving just the cord plugged in (both to eliminate possible short inside outlet), tried plugging it in after starting (seems the worst). Was going to pull console and check wires and possibly hard wire it in. Any one else have this problem? Also can I just cut the cell charger and directly wire it or is there something in the end that limits the voltage?
Old 03-02-2006
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
What size fuses are you blowing? Do they blow instantly?
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

Replaced the stock 15 with 15 numerous times. Seems almost instantly today blew 2 before we left the drive way.
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough
maybe its just the charger ...maybe?
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

That was my other thought. Any easy way to check it without buying a new one? Could probably borrow one from a friend. Also does not seems to blow the fuse in my 2003 EX.
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

05reverb is an unknown quantity at this point
do you have anything else tapped off your lighter circuit that might be close to 15 amp, then when you connect the charger, it brings it over 15 amp, which blowes the fuse? cause a phone charger does not draw close to 15 amp. it might be your charger, if you have a dmm, you could test it on your battery, with the dmm inline (make sure to connect right terminals to right in circuit). dmm negative to negative on battery, dmm positve to charger sides, charger tip to battery positive, set your dmm to mesure amps, and it will tell you how much power it draws.
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

05reverb is an unknown quantity at this point
with dmm, your safe mesuring 10amps, wich the charger is not using 10 amps
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 05reverb
do you have anything else tapped off your lighter circuit that might be close to 15 amp, then when you connect the charger, it brings it over 15 amp, which blowes the fuse? cause a phone charger does not draw close to 15 amp. it might be your charger, if you have a dmm, you could test it on your battery, with the dmm inline (make sure to connect right terminals to right in circuit). dmm negative to negative on battery, dmm positve to charger sides, charger tip to battery positive, set your dmm to mesure amps, and it will tell you how much power it draws.
Old 03-03-2006
Registered!!

I do not have anything tapped into the lighter circuit. The only things I have done to this vehicle was a front sway bar and a K&N air filter. None of which have anything to do with the lighter. I will have to try out the battery test.

Edit: Tested with battery. Only about 2 amps. Which is right were the fuse one the chager is rated. Both with and without the pohone plugged into it. Guess the console is going to have to come out.

Last edited by Toaster; 03-03-2006 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-03-2006
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
I have seen in the past the plug for the device will briefly short out the socket when it is inserted, causing the fuse to blow.
Old 03-03-2006
Registered!!

That is what I was thinking. That is why I tried leaving it in the socket and not taking it out and putting it back in. Still have not taking the thing apart yet.

Update: Sorry to bring this back up but it might help someone. Finally took console apart just to find out charger was shorting. Pluged charger in with the console out so I coiuld see if it was shorting inside. Noticed the charger came apart a bit. So I pulled the two hlves apart and noticed the spring on the side where touching the end piece when it was inserted. Apparently the little piece of plastic that keeps it from doing that broke.

Last edited by Toaster; 03-10-2006 at 05:52 PM.