I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Installation problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
southpasdena is an unknown quantity at this point
Installation problem

Ok, i got alpine type x comps in May, well i finally took out that little pod that they are in, the same one that comes with the EX, and i was horrified at how they installed it. Its the first time seeing it, well there are no screws or latches or tape, they melted the plastic around the speaker with what looks to be a soldiering iron, its like they heated the plastic and spread it around to get it to stay. WTF, tell me this isnt how they are supposed to do it. Am i right, if i am i am gonna go back and tell them to do it properly or i will take them to small claims because that is some bullshit

Old 11-15-2005
Registered!!

D5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of light
dood, that pretty messed up, what if you decided that you want to take out the speakers later and it'll be all melted. I would be pissed also. If i were you i would bring it back to the place who installed it and see what they say because that pretty F***** up.
Old 11-15-2005
Registered!!

fiatdale will become famous soon enoughfiatdale will become famous soon enough
Yes, this needs to be rectified and right now. Theres a guy on one of the chevy truck forums Im on that had a similar problem. He had tweeters installed in his a-pillar and to make them fit, THEY CUT OUT THE SHEET METAL IN HIS A-PILLAR! The shop would do nothing and I believe he is still fighting with them about it.

Seeing as this is a much smaller, non-structural part, if the shop has a good rep, they should fix it with no problems, most likely by just replacing the sail panel. Good luck bud.
Old 11-15-2005
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
the sail panel is like 20 bucks however the problem is his tweeter that he cant sale to anyone which has a value of over 200 used
Old 11-15-2005
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
maybe they used silicone to glue it in or something? can you post a clear pic of the back of the tweeter?

Waht I did when I insatlled my tweeters was dremelled out the back part of it becuase there is limited mounting depth, and then put my tweeter in and hot glued it, which if it's the case with your car is a perfectly acceptable solution.
Old 11-15-2005
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
thats what i normally do to tweeters when I install them in the sail penels, the hot glue can easily be taken off. Most shops use black glue sticks, so i could see how it could be confused with actual melted plastic
Old 11-15-2005
Registered!!

fiatdale will become famous soon enoughfiatdale will become famous soon enough
We used hot glue in situations like that all the time in the shops around Syracuse. However, if they did melt the plastic, or deform it, then thats not right
Old 11-15-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
did you try poking it to see if its soft around? the melted plastic would be hard.
Old 11-15-2005

coop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the rough
this is specifically why I prefer to DIY - I know the job is done right and you don't get "surprises" like this.

Of course I SWEAR after every install I do that I"m done - but then I get sucked right back into it the next time
Old 11-15-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
To properly install them, they should have taken the sail panel out of the car. Once out, cut the rear x-brace type piece out of the back. From there, you take something, i prefer a 40 grit sandpaper to start with, and sand the inside of the cup that the tweeter slide in until the flush mount tweeter cups fit in there. Takes aobut 5 minutes. When it's close to fitting, step up to something along the lines of 150 grit paper and finish sanding down to where the mounting cup will fit tightly(the 150 grit smooths it out better and makes it easier to slide the mounting cup in). From there, you have a few options. I took a black silicone and squirt it on my finger. I rub it around the outer rim of the tweeter cup and then smash it in there. Clean up the overflow that will be created. Then I repeat the process around the rear of the mounting cup, smearing it with my finger. This keeps the excess off, yet keeps the integrity of the piece, aesthetically. If they hot glued the tweeter, you'll still have a mess on it when you take it out. If they hot glue or silicone the tweeter pod, that's easily replacable.
Old 11-15-2005

thanks for all the help
Old 11-15-2005

So it could be hot glue? I will check later to see, i have to go back anyways because when i took it out, one of the wires came loose and the tweeter isnt playing. Just seemed like it was melted becauase of long score marks and such. Oh and it is hard, its not soft like gearbox asked
Old 11-22-2005

Well i checked out my problem at a local audio shop and they said everything is normal, that is how they do it to. But my passanger side tweeter is now not working, i have the x type components and i went back to see if a wire was loose and they told me that the crossovers tend to over heat and they never put them in the doors, but they did for some reason with mine. Well before they told me they said here you go we took the x overs out and you will like it better. I was like WTF this sounds like crap, so they are sending in my x overs to Alpine and they should be back in 2-3weeks and in between i am stuck with harsh highs and well just really harsh highs

I did find other problems with their install though, i took of the interior part of the door, they had traced out the metal in the door they were to cut, but they never finished cutting it, there is one long strip just kinda bent back and you can tell the shitty job they did in screwing the adaptors for the speakers in, they broke a few clips on the back of the door panel and the screw in the hand rest can no longer be screwed, i found out the screw was just resting there bcuz the part it was to be screwed in was messed up. this is pissing me off, but it seems like i cant do anything. First they scratch my tint and do nothing and slowly i find out more argghhhhhhhhhhh
Old 11-22-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
I'd suggest reporting them to the better business bureau. From there, I'd ask them to properly install them. If they refuse, ask them if they'd prefer to pay for you to take the vehicle to a car audio shop to fix their mistakes, along with taking it to a tint shop to repair your tint, and then reimburse you for the repairs. If they erfuse, take them to small claims court. You can recoup your losses, plus this will also get them negative rep in teh community. Mom and pop shops, lots of times, are people that take it up as a hobby, and never actually educate themself on proper procedures. I'd also take out an ad in the local newspaper telling consumers to stay away from the shady shop. There's no call for laziness, and if their installers aren't able to properly install, maybe they shouldn't be in business anyway. The above described install is horribly done.
Old 11-22-2005

well this is a authorized dealer for almost every major brand, and this was installed in May, it seems like its to long to do anything. I think they did crappy install, the door clips i understand, but the shitty metal cutting and screwing they did is what pisses me off and they cant fix that, or at least i dont think so. If everything turns out fine when they get the x overs back i think i will be happy, if not my mom is gonna be dealing with the bbb and small claims i think. She already wants to since it is her car and she is pissed with how shitty they cut my door
Old 11-23-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

I'd report them to the BBB for bad business practices regardless, along with their refusal to rectify the situation. I'd also file a small claims court case to be an *** and make them repair it, even if it means replacing the doors to get it right. It's your car, and you don't deserve to be dicked around at your own expense. Do it at their expense.
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
why didnt they just throw in some type-s x-overs until your type x ones get back?
Old 11-23-2005

I'll take pictures this weekend to show you guys and you tell me how bad it really is. Just the door, the tint i am getting redone darker any way so i never really cared. I have only seen the passanger side door, i just hope the driver isnt worse
Old 11-23-2005

oh and i dunno why they didnt give me other x overs, i know they dont have to, so i guess they didnt
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

AlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really nice
What shop is it?
Old 11-23-2005

Pacific Stereo in riverside