I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Q-form kickpanels installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Q-form kickpanels installed

Yeah I spent a bit (a lot) of time today doing this... took out the speakers that came in the kicks I bought, replaced them with mine and spent a ton of time properly mounting them and neatly wiring them. I'm not too sure what I think yet, after a good listening session or two I will be able to give an opinion. Just too bad I can't switch back and forth between having them in the doors to see what difference it makes. Still need to screw them both down somehow and find some grills that will fit, but that'll get done soon. For now, here's some pics of what it looks like. Color difference isn't that bad in real life, but it isn't perfect either.

Old 10-23-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leviathan18 is an unknown quantity at this point
sweet dude one question this kick panels gives you more mounting deepth???? cuz i want kicker or rockford components 6 1/2" but all the sites says they wont fit in the front door
Old 10-23-2005
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
they'll fit, just gotta get spacers or make your own
Old 10-23-2005
Registered!!

4Saris is an unknown quantity at this point
Are the colors of the panels that different or it is the camera? I was going to get them, but not if they are that far off.
Old 10-24-2005
Banned

MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 4Saris
Are the colors of the panels that different or it is the camera? I was going to get them, but not if they are that far off.
in real life there is barely any difference at all
Old 10-24-2005
Registered!!

82801BA is an unknown quantity at this point
Not if you get a KI ivory color, that you can really tell the difference of it depends on your car's year. I think 03-05 models in ivory are a little darker....
Old 10-24-2005
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Don't you feel like it bothers when you shift?
Or you have an auto?

[EDIT]
Yeah, auto, sorry.
Old 10-25-2005
Registered!!

Even for driving a manual doesn't feel bothersome....I have it in my car and mine is manual....
Old 10-25-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
You're real liberal with the silicone eh? Looks pretty good. Hows your imaging now as opposed to in the doors? And did you consider glassing the backs of them and making them a sealed kick?
Old 10-25-2005
Registered!!

Megahertz's driver must be an oversized 6.5", otherwise I don't think he will mount it in from the back. Am I right?

BTW, the driver looks like the one Alpine is (and was) using for Type-X (Vifa's multi-roll sorround). Are they having the same drivers?
Old 10-25-2005
Banned

Originally Posted by PopcornPlaya
You're real liberal with the silicone eh? Looks pretty good. Hows your imaging now as opposed to in the doors? And did you consider glassing the backs of them and making them a sealed kick?
Hot glue Very easy to work with and if I ever want the tweeters out I just have to give them a good push from the back. Only downside is that it doesn't exactly do a kickass job of holding the tweeter in, but it shouldn't move anyway. I solved that problem by putting on more glue, so no biggy. As of this posting, I can't get the imaging right. I haven't yet discovered a way to force my Eclipse to do manual time alignment, and there is no combination of settings yet that I have come up with that will give me an image that I am happy with. If I set it to what it was at previously, the center is too far right, if I disable TA altogether, it's too far left. There are a few wierd things that I've noticed that I am sure I will work out over time, but when I typed them out here they sounded wierd so I'll just leave that part out for now. The stage appears to have gone down a wee bit as well, but maybe that's just me. I remember it being about tweeter/sail panel level before, just a bit lower now.

I am still considering turning them into sealed kicks, I don't think it will happen right away, I might look into it over the winter. I've never glassed before so I will have to try and figure something out, but it is definitely an idea in the back of my head.

Originally Posted by 82801BA
Megahertz's driver must be an oversized 6.5", otherwise I don't think he will mount it in from the back. Am I right?

BTW, the driver looks like the one Alpine is (and was) using for Type-X (Vifa's multi-roll sorround). Are they having the same drivers?
The kicks are designed for a 5.25" speaker. I didn't think that the woofer would have fit in from the front so I don't even think I tried, but looking at the pics, maybe they will. But even then, I like having them recess mounted, keeps them safer. I think they will have to be rear mounted anyway when I get my 5.25" grills in there and try to stick em on. But oh well, when they arrive I will see what I can come up with.

Last edited by MegaHurtz; 10-25-2005 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-25-2005
Registered!!

I am using Q-form also and.....It's just like what you have said....I can't even find the "center" when i listen.....It's kind of like, if I turn on TA and the sound is pretty much on the right side, and if I turn TA off and my two speakers spreads to left and right.....I can hear reflection right at my left ear(kind of like having another tweeter and upper mid pointing to my left ear) when the singer sings at the right side....

BTW, I can find the center, I just cannot get it where I want it to be and have everything else even across the stage.

Last edited by MegaHurtz; 10-25-2005 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-25-2005
Banned

I am starting to think that it might have been a good idea to keep the speakers in the doors, but I won't come to that conclusion until I do a bit more messing around.
Old 10-25-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MegaHurtz
I am starting to think that it might have been a good idea to keep the speakers in the doors, but I won't come to that conclusion until I do a bit more messing around.
I don't think so......With the speaker at that size, you can't bring the speaker to the surface of the door panel....Then take a look at your door pocket, and the depth of your pocket will be about the depth of the speaker if it is sitting ON the metal panel. It doesn't matter, still, but if you try to bring the speaker up to the front, you have to build spacer and cut off the ring on the plastic. Then you have to get the exact depth, width, etc. to get the speaker up to near the opening. If not, your speaker will sit inside the door, and sound wave will travel in a straight line from the center of the "virtual grill" and it won't ratiate to you in any way. The reason is that, the front of the pocket (from your driving position) creates a hard surface and it will reflect the wave to the FRONT, means not your leg, but toward the pedals...
Old 10-25-2005
Registered!!

If you don't know what I am talking about, I will send you a picture of my front left door. I cut a hole in there to house the Dyn MW160 woofer.
Old 10-25-2005
Banned

I meant imaging/staging wise it might be better to keep them in the doors (my current opinion anyway). Tonality seems to be a smidgen better in the kicks, I would only assume that is due to the lack of grills/obstacles.
Old 10-25-2005
Registered!!

When I have midrage and tweeter only playing 900Hz+ in the kick, the sound is right side louder. Switch the polarity of left side tweeter will be left side loud. Switch the pass side tweeter (drv side intact) the whole thing pulls to the right. Switch both midrange makes the midrange loud.....I have no idea....
Old 10-26-2005
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 82801BA
Even for driving a manual doesn't feel bothersome....I have it in my car and mine is manual....
Thanks for the info.

So, what is the purpose of this, exactly?

And... if you move your speakers downwards, what do you do with the stock speaker hole? Leave the speakers there?
Old 10-26-2005
Registered!!

Either cover it by something or leave the speaker there.....

I am wondering how leaky is the factory door is.....If you have a "good" speaker there, you can actually hear the vibration of the cone blowing by the wind outside....
Old 10-26-2005
that little dude

slick will become famous soon enoughslick will become famous soon enough
Just wondering, did you buy those kicks off of Derek-CEO?
Old 10-27-2005
Banned

negatory, they came from another member of the site

what is with all these people who have kicks for sale now? I was trying to find a set for the longest time and now that I found this one, now derek has a set and so does some random guy that bought something off me on ebay who just mentioned it in passing.
Old 10-27-2005
Registered!!

AlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really nice
Originally Posted by MegaHurtz
I meant imaging/staging wise it might be better to keep them in the doors (my current opinion anyway). Tonality seems to be a smidgen better in the kicks, I would only assume that is due to the lack of grills/obstacles.

Get something with Time correction to help with the imaging.
Old 10-27-2005
Registered!!

I do actives for my 3-way with high and mid in Q-form, woofer in door. The only way TA works is to delay ONLY the WOOFER of the door ALONE and play with phase relative to the mid AND tweeter. TA result for the door is around 1.1-1.5ms range. Also lowering 250Hz with a few dB and widest Q on each side helps. Also need to lower the level on the passenger side woofer by 2dB or something. I don't recall that...
Old 10-27-2005
Banned

Originally Posted by AlpineCivic
Get something with Time correction to help with the imaging.
already have
Old 10-27-2005
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
looks good i might get em i wanna add some more speakers in my car
Old 10-28-2005
Registered!!

stupidd is on a distinguished road
Can you purchase these online? Where at?
Old 10-28-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
nice touch with the Xtreme
Old 10-29-2005
omgwtfbbq mod.

spoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to all
i like.
Old 10-30-2005
Registered!!

leviathan18 is an unknown quantity at this point
yes you can buy it online @ car domain and crutchfield