I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Neon wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2002
Tomotor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xHoteKx has a spectacular aura aboutxHoteKx has a spectacular aura about
Neon wiring

at autozone and advanced auto parts (car parts stores around me) have neons but they hook up to your cig lighter. and i want to wire it straight to my battery so i dont have so many things in the cig lighter. i already have my radar detector and cell phone charger on there. how would i do this? i figured you could just cut the plug n wire it, but theres a on/off switch on the plug part. so i dont know wat to do now.. HELP!!!
Old 02-02-2002
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
i'm sure you could just cut it. but then i heard on some of these the transformer was inside the plug so you could have to get one from something else and hook it up to your neon. but ya if it has a seperate transformer just cut the plug n wire it. you should try the tech section for more response
Old 02-06-2002
Registered!!

djdefcon is an unknown quantity at this point
This is'nt hard at all.....I have 3 neons in my car...But I will exlpain how to hardwire your neons so you can turn them on and off from a switch that you can place anywhere...

1) Cut off those cig-lighter adapters. So you just have 2 wires coming out of each neon- 1 is POWER and 1 is GROUND (look at the package, the striped one is either ground or power).

2) Place the neons were you want them in your car.

3) Take off the console with the cig-lighter in it. It snaps right off. Put a screwdriver to it and snap it off, but dont scratch it.

4) Now, the back of the cig-lighter should have a plug plugged into the back of it. It has 2 wires. Those 2 wires are a power and a ground. First take one neon and connect the wires to each of the prongs on the back of the cig-lighter to figure out which one is power and wich one is ground.

5) Now you know which wires are power and ground. Goto radio shack or whatever and buy a switch. ANy switch you want. And some wire if you need it.

6) Next, take both POWER wires from the neons and either splice them together into one wire, or connect them to one wire. Then take that POWER wire and stick it in the POWER socket of the plug.

7) Then stick a extra wire in the GROUND socket of the plug and connect the other end of the wire to the switch.

8) Almost done. Now splice the two GROUND wires from the neons together and connect those to the switch.

9) Last plug that plug back into the back of the cig-lighter and when you turn your car on everything should work. =D Mount the switch anywhere you want.

If you wanna wire them to your battery, follow the exact steps just replace the cig-lighter with the battery.
Hope this helped. If you have any question email me or reply to the post.