I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Sound Deadener Showdown

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point
Sound Deadener Showdown

I just got this started over on SD and thought I would bring the idea "home" -

Those of us who have spent any time trying to select a Sound Deading product have not had the advantage of an objective Consumer Reports type evaluation. I'd like to suggest exactly that.

I have some RAAMmat scraps left over from my install. I'm looking for anyone who has scraps from competing projects. They need to be in good condition to keep this fair, but they don't need to be big. Probably 1 sq. ft. or less of each will be fine.

I'm proposing to take the products you send me and mount them to a piece of sheet metal - then torture the hell out of them - side by side. I'll measure, weigh and photograph each product when it is new and during testing. I'll then post the results on my Web site. I would have loved to see information like this while I was making my decision. Now we can help everyone else who comes along and know better the next time.

Anyone interested in participating?
Old 05-14-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Just try the sound deadening faq/sticky in the big sticky here. Ocelaris posted a comparison of several already.
Old 05-14-2005
Registered!!

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by PopcornPlaya
Just try the sound deadening faq/sticky in the big sticky here. Ocelaris posted a comparison of several already.
I've read that and it is very informative, but it doesn't really compare adhesive qualities, durability under extremes of hot and cold and similar durability/effectiveness issues. Just trying to grow the knowledge.

It is just really hard to go through thread after thread of Product A is the greatest thing ever - Product A fell off in 15 minutes but Product B is amazing. On and on and we don't really learn much.

The Ocelaris comparison is a very useful value analysis, but I'd like something that shows under identical installation, which products performed adequately. One thing that is absolutely clear is that climate plays a role. What may work perfectly well for a garaged car in Oregon may not work for a car parked on the street in Arizona.

I suspect that we will find that some products always work. Some products work, but only for certain applications and maybe some aren't worth the effort. It would be great to have a resource that shows value for application. Then we can make some informed decisions.

Last edited by Rudy; 05-14-2005 at 06:45 PM.