I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

fiberglass over sounds deadening material

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gnat1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
fiberglass over sounds deadening material

alright here is a pic of my trunk...
[IMG][/IMG]

the question is can i glass over this or will i need to put something inbetween the glass and the floor for it to stick?
Old 05-03-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
I would at least make sure all the deadening is tight against the trunk. There are some areas where it's pulling up. That's no good. Also, check the surface. If it's treated with any sort of oil or wax, the glass will pull right up.
Old 05-03-2005
Registered!!

yeah i'll check the surface. I just want to make sure it wont pull up. You think that I might be able to screw or bolt the glass down once it's attached?
Old 05-03-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
What I am thinking is that If you make a f-glass enclosure make a bottom and top and seal it completly. Then bolt it or screw it in to mount it. You will need tons of screws to keep it down but for like $3 a pack it will only be about $15 of screws at most if you cant use much smaller ones. Even better use a few less screws but with some washers, so nothing gets cracked!!!
Old 05-03-2005
Registered!!

bickford05 is an unknown quantity at this point
I wouldent think it will stick to the foil either. After the glass is hard, i bet you could use an adhesive to hold it down.
Old 05-04-2005
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
I don't think you really want the fiberglass to stick to the car, then you'd never be able to remove it to work on it. I work to separate the car and the fiber glass, I used foil and masking tape. Then you glass a few layers on it, and finish it outside the car. Once it's in the car, all molded, You won't really have problems with it moving, and if you do, you can get double sided tape to hold it down.
Old 05-04-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
HEHE, I read this too fast. I took it as "what do I need to put over the deadening so the fiberglass WON"T stick to my car?" If you were asking how to get the glass to stick to your trunk, then I'm on board with Ed.
Old 05-04-2005
Registered!!

yeah i get what you mean. I can glass it in sections and then glue it to the deadening material. Then I will just carpet over the glass and that should be it.
Old 05-05-2005
Registered!!

Blk2k2civy is an unknown quantity at this point
why would you want to stick the fiberglass on it then you won'y be able paint it, cover it, and sand it to fit right
Old 05-05-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Blk2k2civy
why would you want to stick the fiberglass on it then you won'y be able paint it, cover it, and sand it to fit right
ok you lost me. how could i paint or sand the trunk the way it is now?
Old 05-05-2005

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
to make it stick find windshield glue, its black and thick and you need a caulking gun to apply it. it is one of the strongest glues ive ever come across.... put a layer of this in a thin bead allllll around the floor where it will meet then if you want you should put a bolt or two with "fender washers" from home depot or something and put silicone around those
Old 05-05-2005
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
I'm kinda curious. why do you want fiberglass to stick to your sound deadener?
Old 05-06-2005
Registered!!

well with the number of layers I have down there is no way that i could put back the original carpet. So that means that I going to have to carpet over the sound deadening material. But I think that if I glassed over the deadening material then I could mold the trunk to whichever way i like. Then all I would have to do is glue the new carpet down. But I'm always up for suggestions so let me know if you have an idea.
Old 05-06-2005
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
So, you're not trying to build a sub box or anything, just make your trunk floor look better? Even then, it might be better to make it somewhat removable. if it's molded to the shape of the trunk, it's not going to move anyhow.

Ed
Old 05-06-2005
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
if your deadener is a good deadener, and installed correctly, there will be no lifting, now or a decade from now.

so you can glue your carpet to it as it is.

however, if you want a slightly more stock look, I would cut a new trunk floor out of 1/4 inch ply and carpet that.

then I could use the stock sides and have a nice flat floor, I wouldnt have to do anything about the floor itself, and have a nice piece of trim over it all.