I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

What size tweerers fit in the sail panels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to all
What size tweerers fit in the sail panels?

Do 1" tweeters fit in the stock EX/LX sail panels?

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Do you own a dremel tool? They may need modification depending on depth, etc...
Old 04-26-2005
Shinier than yours, meatbag

Hurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PopcornPlaya
Do you own a dremel tool? They may need modification depending on depth, etc...
lol.....I hope dremel sends you royalty checks once and a while.....jk
Old 04-26-2005
Registered!!

BassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to all
Yes, I do own a Dremel. Probably the best thing I own....other than a DVD burner.

Anyway....are you talking about the sails with the factory tweeter pods? I checked my "smooth" ones and it looks near impossible to dremel out a hole to mount the tweeters. Not enough clearance back there with the wires for the mirror.
Old 04-26-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
I didn't look at your profile. I managed to get a set of EX coupe sails to work in a sedan. Another idea would be to take the stock sail panels from your sedan and mount them via a surface mount cup. From there, glass it to make it look like the EX flush mount. Just a few ideas I had.
Old 04-26-2005
Registered!!

I have a coupe

I could do that, but if I can get the EX sails for $7 each at my dealer and the install will go very smooth, I'd rather go that route. And I've never glassed anything before.
Old 04-26-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

In that case, the EX sails will work perfectly. You may have to cut and trim them a little to accomodate the flush mount cup, but they're not a problem. That's the method I'd recommend and use every time.
Old 04-26-2005
Registered!!

Thank you. So a 1 incher is the correct size?
Old 04-27-2005
§C§H§O§C§O§B§O

chocobo15_2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
diamond audio tweeters fit...i'm running diamond audio m3 components right now, and using EX sail panel

the m3's came with 2 sets of adaptors for the tweeters, one set was too long to fit, but the other set was perfect fit.
Old 04-27-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by BassKadett
Thank you. So a 1 incher is the correct size?
It's tweeter specific. Even tweeters of the same size will have mount cups, different shapes, no screws, 2 screws, tabs, etc, etc. Yes it's possible to fit 1" tweeters, but some are easier than others. I'm struggling to remember what speaker it is, but I dealt w/ one last year that was a 1" tweeter with a cup that didn't seperate. The tweeter speaker itself was 1" but the body was much bigger.
Old 04-27-2005
Electric Boogaloo...

I was saying that they should fit. True, some of the cups would need more modification than others, and more than likely the plastic in the bottom of the existing cup will have to be removed. I did my first set with a razor blade, exacto knife, 40 grit sand paper, and finished with 120 grit. It too a little longer than the dremel, but it's not too hard to manage without.
Old 04-27-2005
Registered!!

Thank you all. I think I'll try it out.
Old 04-27-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by PopcornPlaya
I was saying that they should fit. True, some of the cups would need more modification than others, and more than likely the plastic in the bottom of the existing cup will have to be removed. I did my first set with a razor blade, exacto knife, 40 grit sand paper, and finished with 120 grit. It too a little longer than the dremel, but it's not too hard to manage without.
Yeah, I generally stick to razors and exacto knives when working with small areas of ABS plastic - much cleaner and easier than a dremel. A bic lighter to heat up the blades makes slicing through much easier too. Hey my outlook is any tweeter will fit there, it's just a matter of how much modding your willing to do.
I had a kid ask me once, "hey will an 8" subwoofer fit in my door?" I said "yup - we'll have to completely rebuild your trim panel from fiberglass, but It'll go in."
Old 04-27-2005
Registered!!

haha Very true. I just ordered my Kicker components. I can't wait to install them! Yeeeeeah!
Old 04-27-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
I posted a thread on how I did mine including how I mounted them behind the sail panels.
Old 04-28-2005
Registered!!

drummerboy990 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm just curious, are you looking to flush mount them in the sail panels or are you going to have them angled?
Old 04-28-2005
Registered!!

I'm really not sure yet. I'd like to angle them towards me as much as possible, but I'm not sure that's possible with the EX sails. If I knew how to glass I could make it exactly how I want with the ones I have now. Any ideas?
Old 05-10-2005
Registered!!

Well I got my components last Thursday and picked up the EX tweeter pods and installed the tweeters today. It took me about an hour of being moderately careful and I think they came out great. This is my first time doing something like this, but it was pretty easy. Just grinding/sanding/cutting the inside so they fit perfectly. Here's one of em.

Damn I love my new camera!
Old 05-11-2005
Bodacious Member

jwalker87 is an unknown quantity at this point
looks nice! very clean. I'm planning on doing this with a pair of MB Quarts hopefully early this summer.
Old 05-11-2005

Quart tweeters fit perfectly, minimal effort
Old 05-11-2005
Registered!!

Thanks! I had to use a bit of finesse to fit em in there. There was a little bump on the inside of the pod that I knew had to come off and I took maybe 1mm off of the entire inside diameter. I also had to grind away some in the corner and side of the pod to get the clearence I need to get a perfectly flush fit.