Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/21-i-c-e-audio-electrical-upgrades)
-   -   What size tweerers fit in the sail panels? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/21-i-c-e-audio-electrical-upgrades/209549-what-size-tweerers-fit-sail-panels.html)

BassKadett 04-26-2005 04:57 PM

What size tweerers fit in the sail panels?

Do 1" tweeters fit in the stock EX/LX sail panels?

Thanks!:)

PopcornPlaya 04-26-2005 05:01 PM

Do you own a dremel tool? They may need modification depending on depth, etc...

Hurts2bStock 04-26-2005 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornPlaya
Do you own a dremel tool? They may need modification depending on depth, etc...

lol.....I hope dremel sends you royalty checks once and a while.....jk

BassKadett 04-26-2005 08:37 PM

Yes, I do own a Dremel. Probably the best thing I own....other than a DVD burner.

Anyway....are you talking about the sails with the factory tweeter pods? I checked my "smooth" ones and it looks near impossible to dremel out a hole to mount the tweeters. Not enough clearance back there with the wires for the mirror.

PopcornPlaya 04-26-2005 10:59 PM

I didn't look at your profile. I managed to get a set of EX coupe sails to work in a sedan. Another idea would be to take the stock sail panels from your sedan and mount them via a surface mount cup. From there, glass it to make it look like the EX flush mount. Just a few ideas I had.

BassKadett 04-26-2005 11:05 PM

I have a coupe :)

I could do that, but if I can get the EX sails for $7 each at my dealer and the install will go very smooth, I'd rather go that route. And I've never glassed anything before.

PopcornPlaya 04-26-2005 11:10 PM

In that case, the EX sails will work perfectly. You may have to cut and trim them a little to accomodate the flush mount cup, but they're not a problem. That's the method I'd recommend and use every time.

BassKadett 04-26-2005 11:16 PM

Thank you. So a 1 incher is the correct size?

chocobo15_2000 04-27-2005 01:08 AM

diamond audio tweeters fit...i'm running diamond audio m3 components right now, and using EX sail panel

the m3's came with 2 sets of adaptors for the tweeters, one set was too long to fit, but the other set was perfect fit.

J187 04-27-2005 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by BassKadett
Thank you. So a 1 incher is the correct size?

It's tweeter specific. Even tweeters of the same size will have mount cups, different shapes, no screws, 2 screws, tabs, etc, etc. Yes it's possible to fit 1" tweeters, but some are easier than others. I'm struggling to remember what speaker it is, but I dealt w/ one last year that was a 1" tweeter with a cup that didn't seperate. The tweeter speaker itself was 1" but the body was much bigger.

PopcornPlaya 04-27-2005 08:51 AM

I was saying that they should fit. True, some of the cups would need more modification than others, and more than likely the plastic in the bottom of the existing cup will have to be removed. I did my first set with a razor blade, exacto knife, 40 grit sand paper, and finished with 120 grit. It too a little longer than the dremel, but it's not too hard to manage without.

BassKadett 04-27-2005 09:26 AM

Thank you all. I think I'll try it out.

J187 04-27-2005 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornPlaya
I was saying that they should fit. True, some of the cups would need more modification than others, and more than likely the plastic in the bottom of the existing cup will have to be removed. I did my first set with a razor blade, exacto knife, 40 grit sand paper, and finished with 120 grit. It too a little longer than the dremel, but it's not too hard to manage without.

Yeah, I generally stick to razors and exacto knives when working with small areas of ABS plastic - much cleaner and easier than a dremel. A bic lighter to heat up the blades makes slicing through much easier too. Hey my outlook is any tweeter will fit there, it's just a matter of how much modding your willing to do.
I had a kid ask me once, "hey will an 8" subwoofer fit in my door?" I said "yup - we'll have to completely rebuild your trim panel from fiberglass, but It'll go in."

BassKadett 04-27-2005 10:35 AM

haha Very true. I just ordered my Kicker components. I can't wait to install them! Yeeeeeah!

Rufus 04-27-2005 08:08 PM

I posted a thread on how I did mine including how I mounted them behind the sail panels.

drummerboy990 04-28-2005 12:12 AM

I'm just curious, are you looking to flush mount them in the sail panels or are you going to have them angled?

BassKadett 04-28-2005 08:10 AM

I'm really not sure yet. I'd like to angle them towards me as much as possible, but I'm not sure that's possible with the EX sails. If I knew how to glass I could make it exactly how I want with the ones I have now. Any ideas?

BassKadett 05-10-2005 08:51 PM

Well I got my components last Thursday and picked up the EX tweeter pods and installed the tweeters today. It took me about an hour of being moderately careful and I think they came out great. This is my first time doing something like this, but it was pretty easy. Just grinding/sanding/cutting the inside so they fit perfectly. Here's one of em. http://home.comcast.net/~bass_kadett..._tweeters2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~bass_kadett...r_tweeters.jpg

Damn I love my new camera!

jwalker87 05-11-2005 08:43 AM

looks nice! very clean. I'm planning on doing this with a pair of MB Quarts hopefully early this summer.

J187 05-11-2005 09:01 AM

Quart tweeters fit perfectly, minimal effort

BassKadett 05-11-2005 09:14 AM

Thanks! I had to use a bit of finesse to fit em in there. There was a little bump on the inside of the pod that I knew had to come off and I took maybe 1mm off of the entire inside diameter. I also had to grind away some in the corner and side of the pod to get the clearence I need to get a perfectly flush fit.