I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Newbie Help! - Sub Weight

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scola is an unknown quantity at this point
Newbie Help! - Sub Weight

Not really sure if this is the right fourm to post in, if not, can you move it there for me?.
Been a min. since I been here and I just need some in sight.....

I just brought a brand new JL Audio 10w7 in the enclosure box & the 500/1 amp.

Looking to get it all installed sometime soon, but man, the enclosure box alone weights about 60lbs, if not that, either way the **** is heavy. With that being installed in my truck (4dr Honda LX) thats going to be alot of weight in my truck.

So my question is...

Would it be good to get some new shocks?, or what would I need to support all that weight in my truck?. Am just working with the factory ones that came with the Civic when I brought it off the lot. If so, what are some good shocks to get?. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2005
Registered!!

D17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura about
factory struts are fine man. there meant to support at least 5 passengers and im sorry to say "RTFM" (read the ******* manual) lol. the manual or somewhere identified on the vehicle will tell you how much weight you can cargo, trail, etc.

a 10 inch sub and with box is nothing mang.

sub box = 60lb
sub = say 30lb?

90lbs... that will not make a difference at all. its just as if your driving your younger bro/sis in the car while they sit in the back
Old 03-26-2005
Registered!!

Scola is an unknown quantity at this point
damn, never thought about reading the manual about the weight & cargo, lol. Thanks though. I'll get this installed sometime soon, spent all my money on getting them, now gotta get the money to get it installed.
Old 03-26-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
it will be fine, your car will just accelerate slower from the added weight.
Old 03-26-2005
Registered!!

tbaleno is an unknown quantity at this point
what is it like .1 of a second of your 1/4 mile for every 100lbs?
Old 03-26-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know. It does seem small but I could feel a difference when I had my extra sub and amp. I went from two subs to one to zero. I'm going more for speed now tho. You'll see my new setup at the meet