I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

infinity 6000cs in my civic sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jack123 is an unknown quantity at this point
infinity 6000cs in my civic sedan

Hello,

I recently installed infinity 6000cs component speakers in the front of my 2001 civic sedan. They are amped at 100RMS 4Ohms with a rockford fosgate 401s amp. I am not very happy with the sound at all. The tweeters just sound too harsh! The ssssssss and ttttttttt hurt my ears. I played around with my eq, and I turned down the high frequencies all the way and it sounds ok. But I'm still not happy with it. Not enough bass (I don't have a sub yet, I will be getting one though). I still have to install dynamat in the doors. I hope this will improve the sound. ANyone have any suggestions on how to improve the sound?

I am actually thinking of removing this set of components and installing a new one. Anyone know any good component speakers that don't sound harsh (especially when the volume is high). I listen to a lot of hiphop....so I need components that work well with this type of music. I heard a lot about cdt cl-61a....are these any good?
Old 03-18-2005
Registered!!

chaoticmav should not be trustedchaoticmav should not be trustedchaoticmav should not be trustedchaoticmav should not be trusted
Polk audio, I have been through many amps, subs, and Head units, but always have kept my 5 1/2 up front and 6x9's in back.
Old 03-23-2005
Registered!!

I opened up the door panels looked at all the wiring of my infinity speakers. Turns out the right speaker had the polarities switched at the cross over for all three wires (amp in, woofer out, tweeter out). I fixed these and used the -3db setting on the crossover for both tweeters. Also installed sound deadening on my doors. Now the speakers sound amazing! No more vibratings, better bass. I'm much happier now!

Only one thing is bothering me. The speakers go loud, but not as loud as I expected them to. They require quite a bit of power to get reasonably loud (i.e. I have to turn my volume **** on my HU to 20-25 (out of 35)). They are rated at 90 RMS. Anyone know what the problem can be? Could it be my gain settings?
Old 03-23-2005
let the devil out
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
sounds like your settings on the gain may be your issue, also teh settings on the HU itself . Don't forget the x-over on the amp itself.
Old 03-23-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
QUOTE=jack123]I opened up the door panels looked at all the wiring of my infinity speakers. Turns out the right speaker had the polarities switched at the cross over for all three wires (amp in, woofer out, tweeter out). I fixed these and used the -3db setting on the crossover for both tweeters. Also installed sound deadening on my doors. Now the speakers sound amazing! No more vibratings, better bass. I'm much happier now!

Only one thing is bothering me. The speakers go loud, but not as loud as I expected them to. They require quite a bit of power to get reasonably loud (i.e. I have to turn my volume **** on my HU to 20-25 (out of 35)). They are rated at 90 RMS. Anyone know what the problem can be? Could it be my gain settings?[/QUOTE]
Try playing with your amp's gain settings. I forget what power rating your amp has, but I'm thinking it might be at a lower wattage than the speakers (remember that it's better to have an amp with a higher rating than the speakers). Keeping in mind that you'll start to hear some noise if you have the gain too loud, try setting your deck volume to where you would want to listen to the music at its absolute loudest (your poor poor ears). Then turn up the gain (starting from 0) on the amp bit by bit till you like what you hear. If you're really stuck, we can take a peek next time you're in the Mississauga area.
Old 03-23-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Dynamat helps alot, and usually the tweeters should have a way to point them in a different direction. Amped tweeters will usually sound harsh anyway.
Old 03-24-2005
Registered!!

When setting up the gain on my amp, should I set the EQ on my HU to flat? Or should I have it setup with my user settings? If I use flat to set the gains, then won't I hear distortion at a lower volume when I have my user eq settings on?
Old 03-24-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Ya adjust the gain first, then the eq. I mean, it's not really the right way to turn it up til it distorts, that's just a ballpark way. But I guess better than nothing.