I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Rocker switch info?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
biohazard is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Rocker switch info?

I was looking for a rocker/toggle switch that I could put to replace one of the empty console spots on my car.

However, the trick is I wanted one switch space, but two switches on them. Like two half switches side by side. That way, I could operate two things independently out of the same spot. (If it could light up, that would be great, and if each switch lit up differently, I'd be stoked.)

Does anyone even make this? I can imagine it, so somebody with enough time, resources, and an electrical engineering degree must have made something like it, right?
Old 08-24-2003
The Nightraid crew - Sensible Ownage

evilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the rough
forget the lights, and get a DPDT switch. Same size as normal, two positions on the switch, operates 2 devices. It's all you need.
Old 08-24-2003
Registered!!

I want to be able to activate them independantly:
Switch 1: On-Off (Maybe On-Off-On)
Switch 2: On-Off (Maybe On-Off-On)
That way I can alternate 1 and/or 2 on whenever I want.

Not: 1 On 2 Off- 1 Off 2 Off- 1 Off 2 On.

That is the way a DPDT works, right?
Old 08-24-2003

evilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the rough
Then you'll need 2 switches. Hey, at least I tried.
Old 08-24-2003
Registered!!

Thanks for the input. I know I could have done that, but I wanted to be special (like riding the short bus in school).

So do you think they make such a thing as dual rocker switches that fit on one spot? I guess I'm just being picky, but I think it would look cool...
Old 08-24-2003

I've never heard of it myself, but search for rocker switches on yahoo, there's a site called like nkkswitch.com or something, they've got a "build a free sample" thing, you could probably have some mini switches made to your specs
Old 08-26-2003
Registered!!

Thanks for the info. Went to the site, but to no avail. I guess no one thinks they should exist... I'm going to try the local Fry's later to rummage. Otherwise, I'll have to think of another option.

Anyone with any ideas? In the one switch panel (where the cruise control, sunroof, window control, foglight or the ones by the cig lighter). I want it to have 2 switches. One for my accents (or neons if/when I decide to get them) and the other for my nozzle lights (if/when I decide to get them). I think these lights are kinda insignificant to devote a whole switch to them, yeah? Maybe 2 separate pushbuttons if I have to...
Old 08-26-2003

http://www.nkkswitches.com/

Damn, that's like the 15th link I've screwed up on this week. Anyway, go here, it should have what you're looking for.
Old 08-26-2003

Ok, found this one at switches.com

UL Rating: 16 A (1 HP) 250 VAC
European Rating: 20 (4) A 250 V~, 10 (8) A 250 V~ 5E4, 5/120 A 250 V~, T 85/55
Contacts: Ag/Ag Actuation Force: n/a
Style: Rocker Pre-travel: n/a
Illumination: red Over-travel: n/a
Sealed: none Move Differential: n/a
Switch Color: blk base Lever: n/a
Marking: none Marking Color: n/a

SPST 16 amp switch
6.3mm Quick Connect terminals
30x11 Cutout

If it's usable, register on the site and order a sample, if you don't think it will be, look around. They've got a lot of good crap there.

-Twitch
Old 08-26-2003
Registered!!

Ya know, www.nkkswitch.com also works. It directs you to the other one. Unfortunately, they don't seem to believe in half-rocker switches. Only single thin ones and full/miniature switches...
Old 08-26-2003

That looks like the industry standard, I guess....I don't know what to tell ya, it looks like you're just gonna have to come up with something else.
Old 08-26-2003
Registered!!

The industry's against me, I tell ya! Damn the bastards!! AHAHAHAHAHAHA.... sorry 'bout that.

I'm gonna just keep scouring around and see if I can come up with anything. Because I really don't think anything's gonna fall in my lap. I appreciate the amount of help you've given me, though. Thanks Twitch.

-G
Old 08-26-2003

Well, I'll keep looking around and see if I can find anything....personally, I'd get 2 of the thin ones, and put them next to each other....but that's just me.

If I manage to come across anything, I'll be sure to post it here.
Old 08-26-2003
Registered!!

That's actually what I was thinking. But as I'm looking online, I'm not sure what the measurements of that little switch panel cover thing, so I'm not sure what to limit myself on size. I just started looking for the thinnest ones, so I could know for future reference.
I suppose I could get two squarer looking switches and put them over each other vertically, but maybe that would make this whole search a little too easy.... Hmmm.
You've been alot of support though. Thanks for humoring me through all this. I'm surprised noone else is as interested. Doesn't it seem like something people would have discussed before?
Old 08-26-2003

hehe....you'd be suprised...most of the people on this site hang out in OT or GAR, and the few that do check through this are more interested in serious wiring or showing stuff off than really helping people out (with the exception of a few mods). I've been thinking about something like this for a while, even though I don't have a Civic...I'm ricing out a Cavalier, and I'm gonna need a lot of switches, I've already got like 50 samples being mailed to my house, all identical....lol...gotta love the free samples.
Old 08-26-2003
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
all i can think of for you my friend is going with the mini switches, unless you just wanna get all techy and ****...
Old 08-26-2003
Registered!!

SMBFC is an unknown quantity at this point
go to radio shack and see what they got. personally i got one from autozone, and its a blue piaa rocker, thing is with that it lights up, and DAMN does it light up, so freaking bright!