I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

compustar for $390

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mindogg is an unknown quantity at this point
Question compustar for $390

compustar 2wfm (1/4 mile) for $390 installed. is this a good deal? I also told the dude I wanted a back up battery and he suggested a back up siren (for another $60). what are the advantages of the back up siren vs. backup battery?

thanks in advance
Old 08-17-2003
Registered!!

bzrollin is an unknown quantity at this point
back up battery is going to keep the whole alarm system going if your battery is disconnected or runs out. back up siren is just an extra siren. on a 2 way system like a compustar (at least i think that model is two way) i would say the battery will do you better, or do both, but thats up to you.
Old 08-17-2003
Registered!!

i dont think i have enuff $ for both. The installer's logic behind the back up siren is that the thiefs can cuts the wire to the siren then the back up battery won't do any good, but if the with the back up siren it'd still go on since it has a built in power source. (i'm not convinced which to get yet, just playing devil's advocate)

I believe the system has sensors on door and trunk and the installer said he'd do it on the hood too so if someone does cut the alarm, the 2-way pager would notified me before a thief cuts the alarm, right?

Anyway, are those good prices? how much is a back-up battery, typically?
thanks for your feedback, bzrollin.
Old 08-17-2003
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
id go with a backup siren... only way to shut it off is bash it on the floor or use the keys that come with the alarm
Old 08-17-2003
Registered!!

CiviCoupe2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got the same alarm your getting. I got mines for $330.00 total with installation. GOt mines from Watsonville auto stereo....$390 isnt bad but he/she should go lower...
-Michael

PS...Love the alarm.
Old 08-18-2003
Registered!!

bzrollin is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmm, id have to say that I would prefer the alarm to notify me, not everyone around the car, because im going to go check out why my alarm is going off. The people that may or may not hear my backup siren are most likely going to do nothing about my alarm going off. Because i know that i hear so many alarms that i dont even try to figure out which car its coming from anymore. With a battery backup, the alarm is going to go off when the power is cut too, if the thief manages to make it past your pinswitches.
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

yah you're right about people not paying attention to the siren cuz i dont either. I kinda find them annoying. But I just wanted it to scare off amateur car theifs from breaking the window and stealing my headunit or vandalizing my car or other small things like that.

michael, i feel like i'm getting gipped now. But I heard the place I'm going to is reputable. Are the installers at that shop reliable? where is watsonville? by santa cruz?
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

Mindogg...Watsonville is about 30 minutes away from Santa Cruz. The nearest city next to Watsonville is Marina and Prunedale...THe installers at the shop are reputable....They've been installing CompuStar alarms since '99 when they first came out....To be honest, $390 is a very good deal since it comes with all the things you mentioned above....I've got all the features but the auto start, back up batter/siren....Just make sure you check out the shop you go to and see how the shop looks etc....Make sure they're a reputable shop you know....Hope this helps. If you have any other questions just hit me up. -Michael
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

Sorry....Wasnt sure but did that $390 include the back up battery/siren? If it didn't then the shop you are going to is charging a little too much....

BTW, the only annoying thing about the 2WFMR is its safety feature at night. When you disarm the alarm your headlights stay on for 45 seconds. Its just a feature in case your cars parked somewhere really dark...IMO, what you can do is have the installers connect the wires to a underglow instead...I thought about it, but it might cost $krillz...
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

naw, that price doesn't include the back up but it does have remote start (same as auto start?) and I did check out the shop already and it seems koo, not the best, but alright and my friend's whole crew get their alarms done there so that's reputable enough I guess.

thanks for the info about the safety feature. there's a couple of other quirks I'm gonna tell the installer about like not placing the brain under the steering column and not putting that pagin sticker but just the sensor instead. Any other little things about the compustar I should know about before I get it done on Thursday?
Old 08-20-2003
Registered!!

Hmmm....Maybe have him relocate the antenna??? Mines located at the very top of my windshield next to the driver....Antenna is a lil big, but wont bother you...Let me know how the install goes. Late.
M.
Old 08-24-2003
Registered!!

i got it but the dude charged an extra $50 for a part to bypass the immoblizer. total came to like 475 which was more than i wanted to spend at first but the alarm is pretty kewl.