Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Looking for a smooth, quiet ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big_C is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking for a smooth, quiet ride

Hi all –

I’ve got a 2008 Civic with around 190K miles. It rides very rough, meaning that I can feel every little imperfection in the road right in my tailbone (and despite our insanely high gas tax the roads in LA pretty much suck!). I’m noticing a lot of road noise as well. This car is my daily driver and I’d like to get a few more years out of it. Will simply replacing the old shocks/struts smooth things out or is there a better solution? (I do NOT want to lower the vehicle!) What can I do about the road noise?

Thanks for your advice!

Chris
Old 04-11-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Looking for a smooth, quiet ride

start by refreshing the suspension dampers (shocks, struts)

PS: moved your thread to 8th gen section - 2008 is 8th gen
Old 04-11-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Tires are also a big factor in road noise
Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
start by refreshing the suspension dampers (shocks, struts)
Is there a big difference among brands at this level (i.e. just looking for a nice smooth ride - don't need high performance or anything)? Anything I should look for (or avoid)? Can I get something decent at a trak auto?
Old 04-11-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

koni strt are said to be good stock replacement
Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Tires are also a big factor in road noise
I've got Michelin Defenders on.
Old 04-12-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

are they old? tires get harder as they age
Old 04-15-2018
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Big_C
Hi all –

I’ve got a 2008 Civic with around 190K miles. It rides very rough, meaning that I can feel every little imperfection in the road right in my tailbone (and despite our insanely high gas tax the roads in LA pretty much suck!). I’m noticing a lot of road noise as well. This car is my daily driver and I’d like to get a few more years out of it. Will simply replacing the old shocks/struts smooth things out or is there a better solution? (I do NOT want to lower the vehicle!) What can I do about the road noise?

Thanks for your advice!

Chris
what you are wanting can not be achieved in a vehicle that old, with that many miles on it.....unless you are willing to spend thousands of dollars to replace every single suspension component, including all bushings.....even then it wont be much better......just accept it for now and save your money for a newer car
Old 04-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Tires are a huge factor. I have Michelin Premier AS tires on my 7th gen and they are super smooth and quiet, and they have great grip.
Old 06-02-2018
Registered!!

raycid74 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2010 honda civic, i drive it alot im a postmates driver.

let me tell u up front. Forget about trying to make it quieter, these things aren't built for comfort, its so loud i have to wear ear protective gear when i drive, otherwise i get tinnitus,

ive put new shocks, struts springs and tires in mine, while it did help its still loud and it tends to hit bumps hard in the front.

its a bumpy loud tin can really, ive driven quite a few different cars, and this is the loudest

ive spent quite a few bucks into it, get yourself a newer better car if your looking for comfy

forget about these civics they just are not built for it, imo

i would stay away from the whole civic line honestly

see ya