Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

DRL's/High beams

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ahmedmsa is an unknown quantity at this point
DRL's/High beams

When the car is on the High Beams perform as DRL's on a lower power. is there anyway to rewire them to constantly stay on even when i turn on my low beams but they still turn into high beams when i flip the switch? would connecting a wire from the fuse of the DRL to the fuse of the Low beams keep them on constantly since that way it would have a constant power source no matter if the Low beams are off or on?
Old 03-01-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DRL's/High beams

I can't tell you what you can or can't do with the DRLs, but they are there for a reason. But you already knew that.

DRL:
They are operated by the MICU.
They are also monitored by the MICU.
If the MICU detects that anything is wrong with the DRL lighting for any reason, the DRL warning light on the gauge cluster turns on to let the driver know something is wrong.

DRL function is enabled when the ignition is ON, the handbrake is OFF, and the headlight switch is OFF. (If you wanted the DRL to stay on while the low beams are on, you would have to figure out how to run the low beams without them giving any input to the MICU.)

The MICU operates the DRL function by using a duty cycle or pulsed current to the high beam lights. IIRC, this is about a 60% duty cycle for each lamp and if you put a voltmeter on it it would probably read around 8-9 volts. If one bulb goes out, the other will still operate.

Older versions of DRL used relays and a control unit to connect the high beam light circuits in series to obtain approx 50% brightness. If one bulb went out, then neither could illuminate in DRL mode.

So... this is how they are supposed to work in a nutshell. I'm sure you can wire something up to do whatever you want it to do. But be aware that the control unit might not like it.

HTH