Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Intakes: Short Ram vs. CAI

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002
The Man, Myth and Legend

Location: Western Canada, where the beer is cold and the women are HOT!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZMan2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Intakes: Short Ram vs. CAI

Okay, heres the question. I've done some research and found that the SRI has more HP and torque in the lower RPM band (2k - 4k) but the CAI has more power in the upper range (4500 - redline). I personally have a 2k2 LX with an autobox, so I don't like winding out the engine that much. With this in mind, what does everyone think. Which would be better for everyday driving with little to no track time involved, SRI or CAI?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-28-2002
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
I pick the CAI everytime, no question. I have an AEM CAI w/ Bypass Valve on my daily driver. I love it.

You could get the new AEM v2!!. Be the first 7thgen to own one.

Old 11-28-2002
ak
Retired Mod

ak can only hope to improve
If you're doing mostly city driving, SRI. Why? You don't lose power in the low-end rpm range...which is most needed for city driving.

And for the rest, Injen CAI.
Old 11-28-2002
JJJ
Registered!!

JJJ is an unknown quantity at this point
what about the FIPK, no torque loss, but same as the Short Ram, can anyone explain if this is better than CAI or a regular Short.
Old 11-28-2002
Registered!!

importspd is an unknown quantity at this point
OK...I rarely post at all on this site,l i just usually read threads but this is really getting to me.....

HOW MAN7Y TIMES ARE PEOPLE GOING TO POST THESE (short ram vs. cai) questions??? just search you idiots...!
Old 11-28-2002
LEVA

KeNsHiN is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: importspd
OK...I rarely post at all on this site,l i just usually read threads but this is really getting to me.....

HOW MAN7Y TIMES ARE PEOPLE GOING TO POST THESE (short ram vs. cai) questions??? just search you idiots...![hr]
dude don't flame it's not like we were all too busy to read another CAI question or you wouldn't reply......damm
Old 11-28-2002

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
OK...I rarely post at all on this site[hr]
How about we keep it that way. Just don't post anymore.

Today's threads have been dead lately. We need a good debate. So go stuff it(and I don't mean the turkey)in your pie hole!

Let us talk.

Now back to CAI vs. SRI............................

Old 11-28-2002
Registered!!

lump is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: FlyRiceRacer02

Today's threads have been dead lately. We need a good debate. So go stuff it(and I don't mean the turkey)in your pie hole!

Let us talk.

Now back to CAI vs. SRI............................[hr]

lmao[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-28-2002
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
The main difference between them is how long they're useful. The CAI is supposed to work for a longer amount of time because the filter heats up less quickly being farther away from the main heat creating components of the engine. The SRI works well when used quickly because it gets more air, but heats up quicker, which is obviously a bad thing. The FIPK is an SRI that has a heatshield which keeps it from heating up as quick. I went with the FIPK, and I can tell you that it made some difference and it has consistent gains at all temperatures. But, I haven't driven a Civic with any other intake, so I can't compare them for you.
Old 11-28-2002
Passin' You On 19's.....!

futurersxswap is an unknown quantity at this point
ive posted about this like 6882 times... heres my opinion... we have freakin PLASTIC intake manifolds... we will ALWAYS have hot air in our intakes because of that... i've had NOTHING but CAI before this car, now i got an injen SRI, why? cause money is money, and the extra money for the possibility of an extra horse just wasnt worth it... IMO, until we can get a custom intake manifold made for our cars from a respectable company, the intake doesnt really come into play,. plus, SRI looks nice... and about the FIPK, NEVER heard a bad thing about it.. actually thinkin i should get one...
Old 11-28-2002
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
I duno where you got your research, but no SRI I've used has raised low end or mid range torque/hp.

in fact you lose low end torque and hp. its so much that its sad.

slap back on your stock airbox and resonator and you'll see the difference immediately.

I will never recommend a SRI (except for the FIPK) for our car... it doesn't do anything at all but make noise. all it does is lose your low end torque, and lose your top speed. I had an InJen SRI, it made okay sound, but there was practically no engineering into that thing at all, our model is the exact same ones the previous gen DX/LX gets. (cuz they have vertical throttle body too)

when I tried the ebay CAI, I felt less lost in the low end... otherwise, I dont see any increase at all,. just less lost.

I dont know where ak got his idea from, but no dynos I've seen will support the idea that SRI increase low end torque... in fact, if u check on InJen's website, you'll see quite a few of their intakes making less hp/torque in the low end compared to stock! Course, they make up the difference in the mid-upper rpm range, but for our car, that doesn't happen.

I dont know about the AEM SRI, it has an interesting design with the curve there... and perhaps it does better on an automatic than my InJen SRI on my manual... but there's no doubt in my mind that you lose low end torque with that AEM SRI, perhaps less than InJen, but the lost is there.

I'm running stock airbox, resonator with K&N's drop in filter. there's no increase/decrease that I can speak of, except for better mileage that I get.

the FIPK seems to be okay from the massive reviews, but I'm sure there's still some lost, just not as drastic.

everyone on this site that has used a SRI/CAI for a long while, and swapped back their stock airbox, has agreed that there's soo much more low end.

so to answer your question, as a daily driver. STOCK IS BEST.

Old 11-28-2002
Registered!!

LikeWEEEEEEEEEE is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: futurersxswap
ive posted about this like 6882 times... heres my opinion... we have freakin PLASTIC intake manifolds... we will ALWAYS have hot air in our intakes because of that... i've had NOTHING but CAI before this car, now i got an injen SRI, why? cause money is money, and the extra money for the possibility of an extra horse just wasnt worth it... IMO, until we can get a custom intake manifold made for our cars from a respectable company, the intake doesnt really come into play,. plus, SRI looks nice... and about the FIPK, NEVER heard a bad thing about it.. actually thinkin i should get one...[hr]
wow you dont know how wrong you are. plastic keeps the air cooler than a metal intake manifold.
Old 11-28-2002
The Man, Myth and Legend

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG]Sorry guys, didn't mean to start somethin'. Anyway, thanks for the input. As for research, I checked the web sites for all the intakes available for our cars, and yes, most of them show a 4-5 hp gain and about 2-3 lb/ft of increase for the SRI in the short range (2-4k rpm). The only one that I couldn't get info on was the FIPK, but with seeing all the good reviews of that one, maybe I'll give it a try. Can't hurt right. Thanks again everyone.
Old 11-28-2002
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
[hr]Originally posted by: lump
[hr]Originally posted by: FlyRiceRacer02

Let us talk.

Now back to CAI vs. SRI............................[hr]
lmao[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][hr]

LMFAO

well i think that this ios pretty much a matter of preference. I have tried them all on previous cars but i persoonally like the AEM CAI. like the way it looks and the way it sounds when you turn the car off. fisssssssssss
puts a smile on my face every time
Old 11-28-2002
Registered!!

BlueFlame is an unknown quantity at this point
And the idiot of the day award goes to ...

What does FIPK stand for?
Old 11-29-2002
Registered!!

nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Its K&N's verison of an intake I belive. Don't know the exact name for it. And from a guy who's acutally used both an injen SRI and the AEM CAI, go with the AEM. That's the one i stuck with.
Old 11-29-2002
Premium Boosted Member

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
i think its fuel injection performance kit, the fuel part doesn't make sense but i vaugely remember hearing this somewhere
Old 11-29-2002
Escaped Convict

yup, FIPK = Fuel Injection Performance Kit.

why the fuel injection? cuz we have fuel injected cars. heh. and these kits work on fuel injected cars...

its the basic theory behind all performance intakes...

engine is fuel injected, as in, ECU detects the amount of air ratio, and mix in the proper amount of fuel...

as the MAS (mas air sensor) detects the increase in airflow from aftermarket intake system and filter, the ECU mix in more fuel....

more fuel + more air = more combustion and more power.

thats the gist of how this all works.

thats in THEORY, btw. there's other factors involved.

I really stand by my opinion that all aftermarket intake (ones that I've seen for our car) will lose low end torque... some may be less than others.

DO NOT get the InJen SRI.. its just not worth it. for.. (~$150?) might as well spend ~$200 on FIPK, from the look of things, it should have a high resale value too if u dont like it.

I still think you should stick with stock. heh. but yeah, have a lil fun I guess.

Old 11-29-2002
Premium Member

Krepoort is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, I just put in a K&N FIPK a couple weeks back and I have no experience with any other aftermarket intake, but I pretty much agree with Cap Yoda. The car does feel a bit sluggish when I accelerate slowly (city driving) but I do feel a better kick when I step on it on the highway (where I do most of my driving) so its an acceptable loss for me. I have that chart that K&N includes with the intake if you want me to scan it and post it ZMan2k2.

-Kre
Old 11-29-2002
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: LikeWEEEEEEEEEE
[hr]Originally posted by: futurersxswap
ive posted about this like 6882 times... heres my opinion... we have freakin PLASTIC intake manifolds... we will ALWAYS have hot air in our intakes because of that... i've had NOTHING but CAI before this car, now i got an injen SRI, why? cause money is money, and the extra money for the possibility of an extra horse just wasnt worth it... IMO, until we can get a custom intake manifold made for our cars from a respectable company, the intake doesnt really come into play,. plus, SRI looks nice... and about the FIPK, NEVER heard a bad thing about it.. actually thinkin i should get one...[hr]
wow you dont know how wrong you are. plastic keeps the air cooler than a metal intake manifold.[hr]
so what are the benefits of metal?
Old 11-29-2002

[hr]Originally posted by: dragoon
so what are the benefits of metal?[hr]
Durability!!!!

Old 11-29-2002
Escaped Convict

looks.

shiny polished aluminium and throwing around phrases like "aircraft quality aluminum" sells better than black, dull, plastic that works just as good.
Old 11-29-2002
The Man, Myth and Legend

Hey Krepoort. That would be great if you could do that. As I said, K&N was the only company that I couldn't get a dyno report from. That may just make up my mind for me. As for leaving it stock, that's not really what I want to do, I want to stand out a little more from all the cookie cutter Civics on the road. And yes, I know no one can see the intake under the hood, but shut off the engine and "pshhhh", sounds cool to me. Eventually a body kit, and some rims, window tint, etc. etc. etc. general "money pit" stuff.

[hr]Remember, shiny side up, greasy side down.[hr]
Old 12-02-2002
Premium Member

Krepoort is an unknown quantity at this point