Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Short Shifter Issue - 2nd to 5th gear (and vice versa) problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002
Escaped Convict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
Short Shifter Issue - 2nd to 5th gear (and vice versa) problem?

hey guys, I was just wondering if any of you with short shifters have issues going from 2nd gear to 5th gear?

I have a neuspeed adapter... it works fine so far till recently I realized its harder to shift from 5th to 2nd or 2nd to 5th...
before I can just shift pretty much diagonally across... now if I do that it might get stuck and to make sure I get into gear, I gotta go down, left, then down again...

I duno, kinda pissed me off since I spend 90 bucks on something that just made an important shift work worse...

on a side note, I didn't exactly lube it when I install the adapter... (the point where the cable connects to the pivot point, the instruction says I gotta lube it, but I didnt have any lube with me at the time...

just wondering if any of you with adapters, or the revo have any issue like this...

going at 45-50 mph in 5th gear and downshiftting to 2nd gear is my favorite shift too....
Old 06-11-2002
OyD
Registered!!

OyD is an unknown quantity at this point
i've never shifted from 2-5 or vice versa. i've gone 5-3 before and have no problem
Old 06-11-2002
Escaped Convict

hmm. go try it. its fun. hehe.

the car jumps like a rabbit.

5-3 not much issue there.. I'm sure wondering about the shifting pattern.. cuz before I can shift it across diagonally.. now I have to move it down, then left.. then right to make sure it gets in gear right...
Old 06-11-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Why in the hay are you going from 2nd to 5th to begin with? Anyhow, I think I know what you mean. I think the shorter distance makes you really notice the path of the stick as it moves. On the oe, the path is so long that I don't think you notice the actual path. Don't know if that makes any sense but I tried.
Old 06-11-2002
Escaped Convict

hmm thats a good theory...

I know what you mean... maybe. if thats the case, then I guess.. but thats a drawback then no? cuz really, I can't snap off a downshift or upshift as fast anymore.. or until I get use to this anyway.

well, I would think u use 2nd to 5th a lot, especially if u want to reach whatever speed u want fast... (ie: 60mph)

ie: I'm flooring 1st and bringing it to redline... then near 2nd's redline I'm near 60mph, instead of shifting to 3rd I shift to 5th since I attain the speed I want... and want to cruise at that speed now...

and from 5th to 2nd? well, the downshift is so I can get speed...
Old 06-11-2002
Registered!!

mullinad is on a distinguished road
5th to 2nd??? give me an PM when your tranny goes....
Old 06-12-2002
Registered!!

Numinous001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you tried just shifting to 3rd... it's a very nice gear IMO and still has excellent accelerating power in the 50mph range..
I really don't think having your car jump or hop around like a rabbit is doing anything good for your engine... seems like your just needlessly wearing your tranny... I guess if you got money to burn then go for it =\
-Numinous
Old 06-12-2002
Registered!!

01civ01 is an unknown quantity at this point
i still don't understand the 2nd to 5th shift. they put 3rd and 4th in for a reason.
Old 06-12-2002
Escaped Convict

er...

I was just sorta kidding about the rabbit deal.

why would my tranny go? if anything, I'm putting stress on the clutch, but as long as I properly release it, it would be the same as any downshifts/upshifts

and also, the only thing I'm wearing is the engine by running it a higher rpm... but its a high reving engine to begin with.

I'm not going over redline, granted I'm in the higher upper rpm range but thats the point. (now if I do go over redline then I'm running major risk of blowing my piston, bending my rod... etc. etc.)

you dont get the 2nd gear to 5th gear deal? lets say you have an automatic, you slam on the gas and you're driving fast.. the automatic goes through 1st... 2nd... then you suddenly release the gas, and start crusing instead of keep on the acceleration... would the automatic keep the gear in 3rd (high rpm now) for a crusing acceleration? no, it'll will shift to 4th.

someone give me a reason why this is bad. its just shifting to the gears I want to attain the speed I want, thats why I got a manual, so I can have more control. now if I get a reason to stop, I'll stop. but until then, 2nd to 5th upshift (as long as I'm not bogging my engine) should be harmless.

now 5th to 2nd is another story, but I still dont think my tranny would just die cuz of that downshift.
Old 06-12-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
just posting to support mbow's theory.

reason for a short shifter is to shorten the throws linearly from gear to gear anyways, so its not a big deal anyways, right? do you need to shift real quick from 2nd to 5th or reverse? seems to me the only reason to do that is so you dont have to sit there shifting, if your eating, drinking, or smoking or are tired of using teh clutch anyways.....
Old 06-12-2002
Escaped Convict

hmm okay. reduce throw linearly... that makes sense...

its not that big of a deal, since I dont do shifts like that much, but yeah, sometimes when Im' lazy I dont go through the gears, etc.

I never expected this drawback from short shifters though. if it counts as a drawback anyway.
Old 06-12-2002
Registered!!

TEKNIQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Pssst.. Revo..........[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-12-2002
Registered!!

Juggaman will become famous soon enough
[hr]Originally posted by: Tekniq
Pssst.. Revo..........[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][hr]

I will definitely have to second that post...get the REVO...you will be pleased.
Old 06-12-2002
Escaped Convict

I dont want a shorter shift height.. heh.

oh well. paid for the neuspeed, I'll live with it... its too much hassle going back to stock... plus I waste the 90 bones on this lil piece of metal anyway...

(dont ever buy things on spur of the moment)

I also refuse to get whatever brand stuff... then again Im' probably missing out. oh well, I'm stubborn and ignorant. bawhwaha.

so do u guys with the revo have this issue? or u never shift from 2nd to 5th or 5th to 2nd before too...
Old 06-12-2002
Registered!!

DarkCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't have the Revo but the Solo adapter. I haven't shifted from 2-5 yet, but will try tonight and let you know. Sorry- I aint shifting from 5-2 though.