Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

HP 4-1 Race Header w/ HiFlo Cat install on LX

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BLUENVY01 is an unknown quantity at this point
HP 4-1 Race Header w/ HiFlo Cat install on LX

I just installed my HP Race Header w/ HiFlo cat onto my LX yesterday. let me tell ya.... a great mod for the price. VERY NOTICABLE POWER increase. the new sound from the engine is incredible. much louder. picks up after 3k rpms and shoots right through the power band very nicely. im very happy. unfortunately for me, the effort that it takes to get an EX conversion onto the LX is very strenuous. im still tinkering with it. and at the moment im running without a sway bar because the LX sway DOES NOT FIT. yes, as you probably read before, there is quite a bit of rattling goin there, so there is a lot of necessary mods to do. definitely replace the sway bar with one from the EX or an RSX. thats my next step. then there is a lot of shaving to do on the motor mount. finally ur gonna have to get the HP o2 simulator to adjust the engine sensoring because of the additional air flowing through the exhaust. other than those primary things.... ur gonna need a catback system that is designed for the EX. well, goodluck to all with this mod and those that are going to do it in the future! trust me, its worth it! power gains are GREAT!
Old 05-27-2002
Registered!!

civicpimpin01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Good job, wish I had the time and money to do a mod like that.
Old 05-27-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
What do you think about the quality of the header and cat? Does it seem of high quality or could it be better or what?
Old 05-27-2002
Registered!!

JKEEZO is an unknown quantity at this point
im looking to buy one of these also....

know anywhere that is selling them??? or should i just wait for the new version to come out (although fitting the old one would be no prob on my 2k2 ex auto)
Old 05-27-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
let me know the final result for sure..I was thinking of trying that on my DX [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]. and some port work, new cams.. new pistons when they finlly get around to them..
Old 05-27-2002
Registered!!

thx1138 is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn, finally a nice mod for us poor lx/dx'ers that gives us some more power, and it ends up like a total pain in the neck. Oh, well. Let's hope HP learn from this and perhaps improves it's product. Good job BLUENVY01
Old 05-27-2002
Registered!!

2k1Miami is an unknown quantity at this point
I also installed the header and cat. but i removed the cat and installed a high flow cat insted. it was too dam loud. actually its still loud. i have 2.25" custom pipe to an aerospeed mufler. over all i'm not sooo impresed with the gains, but there is some gain at high rpm.

2k1 EX
Old 05-28-2002
Registered!!

AlexLx is an unknown quantity at this point
since its that much trouble, i think i'll just order an LX cat back this friday. screw all the 02 sensors and stuff....for a few extra hp i could do without all that hassle. afterall i just got finished installing my kicker components and i had to modify the door and a bunch of other stuff i really didnt wanna do, but it sounds marvelous and i think it will be worth it in the long run.
Old 05-28-2002
Registered!!

1028CiViC is an unknown quantity at this point
how much does this header cost? and what kind of mods do you have?
if i had the money i would get the headers..
Old 05-28-2002
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
FYI, the ex's front sway bar is thicker than the RSX's... so.. make your choices wisely...
Old 05-28-2002
Registered!!

hey CAPYODA....help me out... which one should i buy then?! i dont know which one is better. i heard the RSX sway bar was the way to go, but if this is wrong, id like some good advice.
as for the header mod... i honestly think this was a great mod with the aftermarket catback. i notice good gains in the higher RPMs, the sound of my car is much nicer, and now my whole o2 sensor problem seems to have eliminated itself. apparently the computer/ecu adapts to the change in exhaust flow and shuts of the "check engine" warning lite after about 50-100 miles or so, maybe less. so now that just leaves me with the motor mount and sway bar problem. i've started to shave the mounts a lil and i notice that its helping alot, but i still need a sway bar VERY BADLY!! i do not recommend driving around without a sway bar to anyone! very dangerous idea on my part. that thing is gettin replaced ASAP!! oh...btw... with this mod, any LX will totally pull on a regular EX. no joke! u might have a lil more problems keeping up on the topend speed after about 120 or so....but f@ck....who needs to go that fast anyways....
Old 05-28-2002
Escaped Convict

hey dude, the LX and EX both have 25.4 mm front sway bars...

I suppose the EX is shaped differently (since the hp header works with an ex without sway bar clearance issue), BUT, this is an assumption, since I haven't seen the LX front sway bar nor the EX front sway bar too closely...

the RSX has a 23 mm front sway bar... its sway bar design has an arch upwards in the middle

here's a pic, http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.net/acura/jsp/mws/catimgs/13S6M0_B27.gif

I think that'll clear the header no problem...

and the EX? here's a pic of a civic's sway bar http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13S5P0_B27.gif

the problem is, on the website, they use the same pic for the ex and the lx.. I'm not sure if the EX's sway bar looks like that or not.. does ur LX sway bar look like that? I dont really remember what my sway bar looks like, its kinda late and dark right now so I can't check for you.. maybe someone can check for you, see if the sway bar looks like the RSX's.

anyway, if you're sure the ex sway bar will work,then there's no point worrying about that. I'm just not sure...

so yeah, which should u get? If the EX sway bar does work, I think you should get that... thats if you want to maintain the handling charateristic you had before.. (being that the LX and EX both have the same size sway bar..)

the RSX has a smaller front sway bar.. so you'll experience maybe a bit more understeer (or, actually get closer to neutral handling) if you choose to go with that set up.

btw, what year LX do you have? the 01s dont come with rear sway... thats an important factor too...

its all about your preference.... driving without a front sway bar though, is kinda nuts.. and dangerous.. dont take turns at high speed...

if you want to keep the same handling you had before, go with the EX.. or if you want to mess with it, get the RSX (which, I think, may get you more understeer from before. that sounds bad, but it might be a good thing, since it may get the car to handle more neutral...)

here's some things for you to consider:

the RSX has a 23mm front, 19mm rear.

the civic EX has 25.4mm front, 12 mm (01) 13mm (02) rear
LX has 25.4mm front, no rear on 01, 13mm (02) rear
DX has no rear on either year I believe. Not sure on HX, didn't really check.

bigger doesn't mean better, the sway bar works along with other suspension components...

and finally, check here for some sway bar rating http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com/Swabarra.html
Old 05-28-2002
Escaped Convict

heh. that was kinda long.

I'm really interested in the HP header, since it yields so much gains, supposely... but I'll wait till my warranty dies, or they come out with a more perfected version.. so it wont be a pain in the *** to install.. so it'll be a bolt on, like it suppose to be.
Old 05-28-2002
Registered!!

i think im gonna go with the EX sway bar because the issue really has nothing to do with size of the sway bar. for me its more to do with clearance for the exhaust, and it appears that the EX sway bar gives more clearance to the exhaust. in fact, i think by the diagram of the RSX sway bar, it looks like the LX and the RSX sway bars are almost i dentical in shape. thanks for all your help!
Old 05-28-2002
Escaped Convict

really? the LX and the RSX's sway looks archy like that? hmm. thats interesting.... good to know though.

more knowledge = more power. go GI JOE.

how does it handle without a sway bar anyway? massive oversteer?
Old 05-29-2002
Registered!!

actually its not as bad as one would think.... im not recommending u do it, but it really hasnt seemed to hinder my driving all that much... however im not goin into corners quite as quickly as i normally would... but so far the only thing that i have noticed is a LIL shakyness when taking very tight turns and over bumper areas. other than that, it seems to be all good. im orderin my EX bar tomorrow. i'll let ya know how it works. and yes, the LX and RSX seem to have that SMALLER and HIGHER arch that the EX seems to lack... very interesting, but yah, EX SWAY BAR all the way.
Old 05-29-2002
Registered!!

JKEEZO is an unknown quantity at this point
how much louder did the header w/ high flow cat make your car???

i have injen sri and magnaflow exhaust, will it make it that much louder???
Old 05-29-2002
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

importz2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Im really happy to hear about mods that actually do something about horsepower, but this is one that I will wait for until you can take it out of the box and bolt it on. (shaving motor mounts)? I think I'll wait!