Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

rack and pinion problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RW8633 is an unknown quantity at this point
rack and pinion problem

I had someone tell me the rack and pinion is bad on my 97 civic lx. I got a quote from the dealer, and they gave me over $900 quote for parts and labor. Is there any way around such a pricey repair? I haven't taken it in to the dealer to confirm that the repair needs to be done because they charge me almost $80 to even look at it. Could it be possible that something less expensive is wrong with the car?
Old 12-07-2011
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: rack and pinion problem

Why is it bad?

I'm sure there is more that can be found wrong with your car that would be less expensive to fix, but would it solve your current problem (whatever it is)?

There is a way around pricey repairs: Roll up your sleeves and DIY.
Old 12-07-2011
Registered!!

The only problem I noticed while driving is that it pulls A LOT to the right when driving. Also, the guy who looked at it said that it was rusted and that the tire could fall off at any time. Another guy looked at it and said it was rusted also, and that if it fails, I'll lose my steering.

I can't fix it myself, seeing as I have no tools, parts, space, or knowledge of mechanics.

Can you think of anything else that would cause the steering wheel to pull so badly to the right?
Old 12-07-2011

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RW8633
Also, the guy who looked at it said that it was rusted and that the tire could fall off at any time. Another guy looked at it and said it was rusted also, and that if it fails, I'll lose my steering.
Depends on what "IT" is. I can't see "IT" myself, so I really can't be sure of what everyone is looking at. I can only guess, and you aren't exactly a professional observer full of details yet.

Post pics of "IT" so we all can see? That would make this far easier. Have the shop show you what is wrong again, take pictures and video.

If they are saying a wheel is going to fall off, it must be pretty serious, and I would guess something is loose.
I would jack it up in the air and see if the wheel has looseness--shake it side to side, and shake it top and bottom. See if there is free play, then look to see where the free play comes from.
You can probably find videos on youtube of how to check this stuff if you look.

The steering rack itself isn't going to rust away. Off the top of my head: It could leak, it could bind internally, it could have a hydraulic problem that makes it apply pressure to one side at the wrong times. Most common is leakage, and I really don't see that all that often.
I live in the rust belt, and I have yet to see a rack rust away...so far...(I know I haven't seen it all though.)

Rust? A tie rod might (but I doubt it). An upper or lower control arm might. The frame and body mounts for the suspension might. Ball joints and tie rod ends may go bad. I could imagine any of that stuff allowing a wheel (and suspension parts) to fall off.
If an inner tie rod is bad (swivel joint inside the rubber boot on each end of the steering rack) it is replaceable without replacing the entire rack.

I can't fix it myself, seeing as I have no tools, parts, space, or knowledge of mechanics.
That's how I started. Broken car, no money. I had plenty of time, a manual from the library, and my dads' tool set and driveway.

The only problem I noticed while driving is that it pulls A LOT to the right when driving. Can you think of anything else that would cause the steering wheel to pull so badly to the right?
Pull, like try to go out of your lane as soon as you let go of the steering wheel?
Or is the steering wheel way off center but the car goes pretty straight when you let go?
Big difference.

Has the car been crashed in the suspect corner? Curbed? Severe potholes? Bent suspension parts or strut. Add this to anything that was loose in the above steps before going much further.

A bad tire can definitely cause a pull. So can a flat or low tire. Mismatched tires. Swap the 2 front tires and see if it pulls the other direction.
Bad or bent suspension parts. Loose wheel bearing, dragging brake. Any or all of the above, and more. Lots of possibilities.

Second opinions can be valuable.

Last edited by ezone; 12-07-2011 at 10:45 PM. Reason: I loooove to edit.
Old 12-07-2011
Registered!!

The hubby is overseas right now, or else he'd be doing all this lololol

the youtube video is very helpful. It mentioned that if the tire has lots of play side to side (front to back) it's a tie rod end. If it wiggles up and down (top to bottom) then it's a ball joint, so I'll definitely get a look at that.

As for the pulling while driving....I have to keep turning the steering wheel to the left to keep the car in the center of the road, and as I'm holding the steering wheel, the steering wheel is always trying to jerk to the right while I'm driving.

I will definitely get a second opinion, and hopefully the place I take it to will be able to actually show me what is going on in the undercarriage so I can take pics and video.

We'll see how it goes :-) Thanks for your help!
Old 12-07-2011

Originally Posted by RW8633
the youtube video is very helpful. It mentioned that if the tire has lots of play side to side (front to back) it's a tie rod end. If it wiggles up and down (top to bottom) then it's a ball joint, so I'll definitely get a look at that.

, and as I'm holding the steering wheel, the steering wheel is always trying to jerk to the right while I'm driving.
Yeah, pretty much like that....But....Any looseness that is felt in those checks could be more than/different from a ball joint (your car has an upper and a lower joint at each front wheel) or tie rod end (inner or outer for each front wheel), those are just 2 of the common items. There are more parts and possibilities than just those items mentioned.
You can't just call it like that and be exact.
Someone needs to see/feel where the excessive movement originates while the tire is being wiggled.

----------------------------------

A constant pull while rolling along is one thing, but if the steering wheel jerks repeatedly-- one jerk every time the tire goes around, then you have a tire problem too. Like a steel belt broken or slipped, or one heck of a bent wheel. The tire is no longer perfectly round for whatever reason. Like trying to roll an egg.

On top of whatever else is loose/bent/bad.

If I just misinterpreted your statement, then ignore this.

YW
Old 12-11-2011
Registered!!

Thanks so much for your assistance. I did get a second opinion and had the mechanic actually SHOW me what was wrong. The front passenger inner tie rod end is COMPLETELY rusted out. Also, I has a WHOLE LOT of play. The mechanic told me it'll take them 2.5 hours and $170 to replace both ends. There is a possibility that the bearing where the tie rod links into the rack and pinion is bad, but they won't know until they get in there. They thought it was interesting that only one was bad, cuz the drivier's side was in perfect condition. Go figure lolol
Old 12-11-2011

That sounds more fair than replacing the entire steering rack.
Maybe it spent some time with the rubber boot torn open?
Make sure that price includes a wheel alignment.
Hope that corrects your complaint of the pull.
Old 12-12-2011
Registered!!

98EKCoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

well have you considered having your alignment checked before going crazy throwing parts at it. if the rack casing is rusted that doesnt mean ****. Alot of different things can cause a pull
-alignment
-bent suspension components
-shifted belts in the tires
-subframe damage
-varying tire sizes from side to side
a rack that is bad usualy doesnt cause a pull unless something in the pinion valving has internally failed (typically seals or clogged passage from dirty power steering fluid). a failed rack usually results in steering binding or loss of power assist. and as far as tie rods both inner or outter a torn boot is something to address but unless the joint is wearing out and causing end play at the wheel there is no imediate cause for concern

hope this helps you bud