Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Spoon sports SW388's are too expensive to recommend...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZGstar is an unknown quantity at this point
Spoon sports SW388's are too expensive to recommend...

I don't understand why some members keep recommending the Spoon SW388 wheel. Sure, the SW388 is a lightweight and great-looking wheel, but the price (>$400 a wheel) is high, and realistically speaking, with the extra $2500 that you would need to spend on a set of SW388's w/tires, you could have bought a dealer demo Subaru WRX instead of a Civic.

Rota slipstreams are the JDM-look way to go for our inexpensive cars. I think ASWZero's car is great example of the Rota slipstream JDM-look.

Just my $.02

Old 03-24-2002
Su Mo

RSXtypeIvtec is on a distinguished road
cause some people just have that type of money to spend....most people do want the "real deal" i know i do, i mean, basically if you got the money, why not get the real thing, unfortunately im with ya, and getting the cheaper ones....i see what your saying though
Old 03-24-2002
9K Redline Owns U
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Spider883 will become famous soon enoughSpider883 will become famous soon enough
the reason we recommend them is bc they are the best. the 15's weigh 8 lbs. and the 16's weigh 12 lbs. some people have the money and others dont. we are just trying to give people all the options on what they can buy.
Old 03-24-2002
Registered!!

VanDizKo is an unknown quantity at this point
What you want is want to get. If you want cheap you can still have the same parts (Wheels), but it's sure not the same quality. For example, Rota slipstream may look like Spoon SW388 wheels, but if you look inside the construction of the wheel it's no comparison. Rota is cast aluminum, Spoon is forged wheel, they both lightweight, but Spoon is strong when driving in rough road and it looks nicer. My point is, if you want bring out best performance, you gotta play with the best performance, don't play imitation cheap parts. Since, I am real, I am only play with the real thing, JDM Spoon all the way.
Old 03-24-2002
Registered!!

leadfoot78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Aren't the Spoon rims forged magnesium?I think it is if not its not worth the money.
Old 03-24-2002
Registered!!

uicmedruss is an unknown quantity at this point

<< ...you could have bought a dealer demo Subaru WRX instead of a Civic. >>

You know, it's not that I really disagree with what you were saying, it's just that there are two problems with what you just said.

1) Some people (myself deffinately included) think that the WRX is one hell of an ugly car. My old roomie drives a blue WRX wagon now. Sure, he's hella faster than me, but I still laugh every time I see him cruizing around town.
2) Most people here, if they spent the extra money for the WRX, would STILL be spending more money to mod that car out as well. If someone wants to spend that much on their civvy, let em. More power to ya! [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]

Oh...for the record, my poorboy self still has the stock ex steel wheels with the covers. Thanks! [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-25-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Check out the Konig Heliums. They are just over 11lbs and sell for around a 100 a wheel. The group buy center has got them for $385 shipped right now. However, they are not in stock in you will have to wait around 3 weeks for them. I was looking at the rotas too, and even started a thread to help deciding between the heliums and slipstreams. I wanted the rotas but after doing some photoshop work, I think the heliums look way better. Anyhow, forget the 350 dollar wheels and get the heliums or the slipstreams. If you can afford the spoon rims, you shouldn't be driving a vic.
Old 03-25-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Mbow.

Thanks for clarifying. I saw that Groupbuy on Heliums and I thouht it was $385 EACH. Skeered me off.
Old 03-25-2002
Registered!!

<< Mbow.

Thanks for clarifying. I saw that Groupbuy on Heliums and I thouht it was $385 EACH. Skeered me off.
>>

Hehe...yea, 385 for all 4 shipped to your door as long as your in the lower 48 states. Pretty good deal if you ask me.
Old 03-25-2002
Registered!!

I just got off the phone with a konig rep. She said they will not get another shipment until the end of April or beginning of May.
Old 03-25-2002
Registered!!

sicsol is an unknown quantity at this point
Spoon is nice, but has a few big drawbacks. First of all, all of there stuff is really overpriced. I know that they don't fit on our cars, but I just cant justify paying 250-300$ for spoon EG or DC mirrors. I mean they are made of plastic and are not powered. I can understand the non powered thing to save weight, but plastic. For that kind of money you think they would be made of carbonfiber or something. Sometimes I wonder if it is just US distributers jacking up prices due to supply and demand. Also, If you plan on getting anything like SW388's or other things plan on waiting a decent amount of time. A friend of mine ordered a set of 16 inch SW388's for his ITR in the beginning of October and he still hasn't recieved them. And he ordered them from R and D Motorsports, who is one of the countries only distributers of Spoon.

An FYI: I heard that Spoon wheels are made out of the same materials as Russian tank armor.

sicsolx

my 2k1 roles on rota slipstream shoes. And so far they haven't cracked in half or been stolen yet.
Old 05-03-2002
Registered!!

MugenEx7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Spoon Sports pricey!? Yes! It's called "importing" products from 5,000 miles away. The dealer has the duties and taxes added on to the wholesale price. The dealer then has to markup the parts to cover the duties and taxes then a additional markup to make a profit.

<< Spoon is nice, but has a few big drawbacks. First of all, all of there stuff is really overpriced. I know that they don't fit on our cars, but I just cant justify paying 250-300$ for spoon EG or DC mirrors. I mean they are made of plastic and are not powered. I can understand the non powered thing to save weight, but plastic. For that kind of money you think they would be made of carbonfiber or something. Sometimes I wonder if it is just US distributers jacking up prices due to supply and demand. Also, If you plan on getting anything like SW388's or other things plan on waiting a decent amount of time. A friend of mine ordered a set of 16 inch SW388's for his ITR in the beginning of October and he still hasn't recieved them. And he ordered them from R and D Motorsports, who is one of the countries only distributers of Spoon.

An FYI: I heard that Spoon wheels are made out of the same materials as Russian tank armor.

sicsolx

my 2k1 roles on rota slipstream shoes. And so far they haven't cracked in half or been stolen yet.
>>

Old 05-03-2002
Registered!!

Someone explain to me how it makes sense to put 2500k rims on a fricken civic! If you have that much money to buy wheels with, you shouldn't be driving a civic, or a honda for that matter. Give me a frickkken break! The rotas will do just fine and they look just the same.
Old 05-03-2002
Registered!!

htowncivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Unless you're a professional drag racer and you absolutely need the 1.5-2 lbs. weight savings, I'd stick with the Slipstreams. Anyways if you were a professional drag racer, you'd be getting some Volk TE-37's and not messing with the Spoons anyhow. Alternately, if the weight savings really mean that much to you, you could make up the weight by getting a set of lightweight tires.

Bottom line: Rota makes a lightweight, very strong wheel for around $100-$125 each. Spoon makes a lightweight, very strong wheel for around $250-$350 each. If you want to blow the extra $$ for practically the same thing, well I guess that's your perogative.

This whole JDM thing is too played out. Basically, making your car "JDM" means buying overpriced components that don't help your car's performance at all. Yeah I know that some JDM components like CTR pistons actually do serve a purpose, but for the most part it's just another fad.

Attachments:
[IMG]/forums/themes/orbitz/paperclip.gif[/IMG] jdmcookies.jpg (15 Kb)
Old 05-03-2002
Registered!!

htowncivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
sicsol

SW388's are actually made by Desmond (a Russian wheel manufacturer), that's probably why people say they are made of Russian tank material. Unlike Mugen, Spoon gets other companies to manufacture most of their stuff.