Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Painted Parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006
I like my commute

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of light
Painted Parts

I'm not sure if this has been covered, but I have a few things I want painted on my car, but I don't want to spend a ton of money at a body shop getting them done. I've looked online for paint with Honda's paint code, and I can't find anything other than touch up paint! Do you guys know of any aftermarket paint sellers that sell paint with a Honda part number? I would love a nice can of SSM spray paint.
Old 09-29-2006
PWIT
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
metallic paint normally needs to be blended otherwise it stands out to much. you might wanna just bring it to the shop, what peices do you want to paint?
Old 09-29-2006
I like my commute

Kevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of light
I want at least my side mirrors painted. I was also looking at some sides, that don't come painted. Although if I can't get a can of ssm and clearcoat I'll just get OEM.
Old 09-29-2006
PWIT

CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
mirrors shouldnt be more than 80 bucks to get painted, and i wouldnt paint side skirts on your own. i would get it done right, around 150-250ish if they dont install them for you.
Old 09-29-2006
I like my commute

^ yeah but that's 80 bucks as opposed to like six bucks for a can of paint... I'll prolly get OEM sides anyways
Old 09-29-2006
A big, hairy Kentucky boy

stinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to all
If you're looking for paint, try paintscratch.com.

Someone posted a thread not too long ago about painting the mirrors themself. They had an SSM civic if I'm not mistaken.
Old 09-29-2006
Hey, I know Drew22Mader, the man with the sickest whip

Gixxer is a name known to allGixxer is a name known to allGixxer is a name known to allGixxer is a name known to allGixxer is a name known to allGixxer is a name known to allGixxer is a name known to all
The paint code for Your car is on the driver side door sill. How ever I would highly recommend not painting Your parts with a rattle can. Especially metallic silver. With metallic paint if it's not sprayed even the metal flake will clump together and look like You have dark spots on Your car. And alot of times rattle can paint is thinned down too much. If You decide to paint it Yourself use a adhesion promoter, ie. Bulldog. If You paint it without some kind of adhesion promoter the paint will eentually chip off the plastic
Old 09-29-2006
I like my commute

^ would sanding it have the same results?

thanks for the help stink, this web site seems like it's what I need. I'd rep you but I'm powerless

I painted my grill w/ a can of paint

Last edited by Kevbotron; 09-29-2006 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-29-2006

Gixxer is a name known to allGixxer is a name known to allGixxer is a name known to allGixxer is a name known to allGixxer is a name known to allGixxer is a name known to allGixxer is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Kevbotron
^ would sanding it have the same results?

thanks for the help stink, this web site seems like it's what I need. I'd rep you but I'm powerless
Hit the parts lightly with 500 grit paper, go to Wal Mart and get some Bulldog Adhesion Promoter, ( about $5) Then prime and paint Your parts. The grill looks good from the pic.

Last edited by Gixxer; 09-29-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-29-2006
I like my commute

^thanks man about the grill, actually just looking at the pic maybe I should keep them the way they are... I probably shouldn't get ahead of myself anyways, I have a neuspeed strut bar to put on this weekend, and some powerslot rotors w/ hawk pads to have installed. ehhh, you guys think I should still paint the mirrors?
Old 09-29-2006
Dain Bramaged.

jester444 is an unknown quantity at this point
I would. But that's just me.

I was wondering this myself, actually. I'm really interested in where this thread's gonna go. Where would I be able to get OEM paint? I have a spray gun, and I was wondering what all it would take to do some minor body work on my own. I know it's not too incredibly challenging with the right equipment, like most tasks, but I heard metallic/pearlescent paint throws a wrench into things. Any thoughts?
Old 09-29-2006

stinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jester444
I would. But that's just me.

I was wondering this myself, actually. I'm really interested in where this thread's gonna go. Where would I be able to get OEM paint? I have a spray gun, and I was wondering what all it would take to do some minor body work on my own. I know it's not too incredibly challenging with the right equipment, like most tasks, but I heard metallic/pearlescent paint throws a wrench into things. Any thoughts?
You can also buy it by the gallon, quart, and pint at paintscratch.com.
Old 09-29-2006
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
my advice is go find the local tech college...and if it has a body shop portion bring there. the kids in there will probably paint it for practice. but dont get upset if the paintjob isnt perfect but i gaurantee it will be hella cheap
Old 09-29-2006
I like my commute

^that's a great idea, there's one right in my town, although I think they just have electrical/plumbing/carpentry schools
Old 09-29-2006
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
im in the auto body classes and thats where ive been getting all my stuff painted...they do a good job
Old 10-02-2006
Dain Bramaged.

Originally Posted by stinkypie
You can also buy it by the gallon, quart, and pint at paintscratch.com.
Yeah, but is it any different since it's pearlescent? I mean, the black has little flecks of blue and green in it, that's GOT to complicate matters.
Old 10-02-2006

Yeah, but is it any different since it's pearlescent? I mean, the black has little flecks of blue and green in it, that's GOT to complicate matters.
As long as it's factory paint, they should have it. You have to give them the color code off of your car.
Old 10-02-2006
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
yeah paintscratch is the place. I tryed to get a can from honda of rallye red, but turns out honda doesnt do the cans, I thought he told me they did... but oh well. He turned me to an auto body supply store. If you go there, they can mix you up a spray can or bucket, or whatever you want in an exact match. Good stuff.
Old 10-03-2006
Dain Bramaged.

I'm not talkin about procuring the paint, I understand that's no problem. But what I mean is,

Is it any harder to paint with pearlescent paint as opposed to just plain glossy paint?
Old 10-03-2006

I'm not talkin about procuring the paint, I understand that's no problem. But what I mean is,

Is it any harder to paint with pearlescent paint as opposed to just plain glossy paint?
Yes, If the paint is not sprayed evenly then You will end up with dark spots. What happens is, if the paint is too heavy the metal flake wants to clump together.

I normally use PPG Omni paint, which is a base coat clearcoat system. the base coat dries very fast and sprays smooth. I've been using the same paint line for about 10 years now and haven't had any problems. It's pretty inexpensive so if Your looking to learn how to paint then I would recommend it.

Oh yeah, here is my latest project. I painted the whole car just before Nopi Nationals.

Old 10-03-2006
I like my commute

Great work I guess if my car wasn't SSM I'd be good to go.
Old 10-03-2006
Dain Bramaged.

I want to learn how to do that, but I don't know what all it would entail. Where would be a good information source to learn what I'd need?
Old 10-03-2006

The best training is hands on but I'll post up some links when I get home tonight that might help You get started
Old 10-03-2006
Dain Bramaged.

Yeah, after a little reflection, I realized that's probably the only way to get the results I want... I don't want to mess up my car, so I doubt I'll attempt it for fear of screwing it all up. Hands-on is always the best way. I just have neither the time nor finances to do so, however. I keep wanting to take some engine-building classes at TCC but I don't have time.
Old 10-03-2006
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
duplicolor makes premixed spray cans of oem colors. They have most of the 7th gen colors (i did not see green or gold).

i sprayed a few black pieces on my car (dx comes black unpainted trim
Rallye red is a flat color though. The only thing i had to worry about was the right amount of clearcoat.

Make sure you do your homework on spray painting (prepping, sanding, primer, layers & coating, etc) or it could turn out real bad.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	duplicolor.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	68045  
Old 10-03-2006
Dain Bramaged.

Ehhh... I just feel a little uneasy about spray-painting my car.
Old 10-03-2006
I like my commute

I think a can like that would be fine for something like side view mirrors or door handles (dx) I dont think a full body paint job should be done by anyone w/o previous experience painting cars.
Old 10-03-2006
Dain Bramaged.

Yeah, I just wanted to fix some pretty mean scratches I've got on my car, and I know they'd have to be filled and painted. Just curious to see how hard it'd be.
Old 10-03-2006
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
Ehhh... I just feel a little uneasy about spray-painting my car.
and i was just posting another option not everyone has the same knowhow, skills, abilities, &/or supplies available to them
Old 10-03-2006
Dain Bramaged.

Yeah, I know. I just don't like that idea.

But it's all about gaining said skills and knowhow. I just wanna be able to do it myself just because.